Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sales Down? Traffic Down? Since 3.2 switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Down? Traffic Down? Since 3.2 switch?

Is anyone experiencing any issues with decreased sales or traffic since they were moved to 3.2?

(I know that some, happily have experienced the opposite.)

Simply put, we are. Dramatically. The start of it pretty much coincided to the day with the switch over and has continued downward. For the life of me, I can't figure out what the connection is.

3dcart transitioned us fast and without incident and without even 1 second of down time, which was amazing. We had a few little bumps but nothing monumental. But we've had a steady and overwhelming drop in both traffic and sales.

Just wondering if anyone else is and if anyone has any ideas what it could be. It would be great if any of you reading this could check out our site to see if you can discern any issues that we've been missing.

I'm not placing any blame here - just looking for some fresh eyes on the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://shop.justpoppin.com

we are a seasonal entity, and, however, we are in a sales "slump"....:(
    However, we attribute it to the poor economy, extreme heat conditions (mid atlantic) summer vacations and upcoming "back-to-school" times. We do best in the late spring and late summer/early fall.
    www.concession-supply.com

Comment

We are too new to 3dcart to really know if the upgrade had any effect, but our traffic has been inching slowly upwards since we went live in mid July.

Is your conversion rate down, or is the drop you are experiencing in traffic and sales equally?
      Laura Z
      Brass & Silver Traditions
      www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Are you hosting 'The Find' image? We tried using the find and found their server for supplying the image and links was very slow. It slowed down loading of our pages. I don't think we got more sales by having our products listed with them and since sales decreased when we put the link on our page we did not see a benefit. We took it off and sales have increased back to what they were.

This was all before 3.2.

Maybe it didn't have anything to do with the link and image. It may have been them bogging down the server supplying our product images and information. Or it could have been ... who knows.

If you didn't have any problems with it before 3.2 it may not be the problem. We don't put any images on our site now that we can't host. We won't rely on third party servers to supply images and information.

This may have nothing to do with what you are experiencing. More and more people are losing their jobs even though the media won't say so. We are seeing it in our other business where people are declining work because they have just lost their job. We aren't talking large amounts of money, maybe $100 or something like that.

The economy is stagnant at best right now.

Have you heard of the SBDC? Small Business Development Center. If not search for them. You may have an office near you. Contact them and get set up with a business coach. It all free, or well you have already paid for it with your tax dollars. They can help you and your business. It's one of the best things we have done. They can get just about any kind of information you need or want relating to business and it's free. Also, the coaching is something they will do for as long as you want and they have a great track record with the businesses they coach doing substantially better than those that don't use their services.

The SBDC may be able to help you find new markets, new ways to bring customers and so on.

I have also noticed the Google doesn't seem to be consistent. One week we'll have our site listed in the top 3 and the next week (this week) we are on page 2! What happened? We didn't do anything to our site that would have caused this so we are unsure. But next week still doing nothing to our site we'll most likely be on page one again.

I think sometimes google plays with things to see the effect and then puts things back while they analyze the data. We all are the one effected by their games and trial and error.

These are some things I can think of. Hope something here helps.

Ken
        www.watchbandsolution.com

Comment

Originally posted by concession-supply.com View Post
          we are a seasonal entity, and, however, we are in a sales "slump"....:(
          However, we attribute it to the poor economy, extreme heat conditions (mid atlantic) summer vacations and upcoming "back-to-school" times. We do best in the late spring and late summer/early fall.
          That's somewhat reassuring :-) We were new with 3dcart this time last year and our sales were increasing just by nature of finally having a real shopping cart system so we can't compare to this year. I have my fingers crossed for everyone on here that sales start increasing again soon.

Originally posted by brassandsilver View Post
          Is your conversion rate down, or is the drop you are experiencing in traffic and sales equally?
          Good question. Actually, conversion is about the same. On a percentage basis, the drop is pretty much equal across traffic and sales. That's what's most disturbing because if my traffic was up but my conversion had slipped, I'd have a good idea that it was something specific we'd done on the site and I could start testing stuff like pricing, shipping costs, etc.

But when many fewer people are visiting the site...there's less I can do about that.

Originally posted by watchdr View Post
          Are you hosting 'The Find' image? We tried using the find and found their server for supplying the image and links was very slow. It slowed down loading of our pages.

It may have been them bogging down the server supplying our product images and information. Or it could have been ... who knows.
          I wonder about this stuff all the time. The Facebook "like" button code hangs often, some of the other scripts we have running (Google Analytics included) sometimes hang while communicating with their respective servers. Trouble is, it seems intermittent so I can't nail down anything specific.

One visit to the site and it takes forever to load and I can see in the status bar what's holding it up (I see the messages: contacting... transferring...). Other times, that item loads quickly but it's something else.

We need the scripts we have on there so I'd rather not get rid of them.

Does anyone know of a tool or site that can break down the loading time of a site in a way that indicates how much time was due to each thing that loads?

Have you heard of the SBDC? Small Business Development Center.
          Actually, we do/have used the SBDC - they're definitely good for some things but, at least in this area (decidedly NOT the Silicon Valley of the East), they don't seem to be up on their online business knowledge. For instance, as most here know, we sell food products online. So they hooked us up with an adviser who had owned restaurants. ha ha ha They don't get the whole "no, really, we don't have a store, we do everything online" thing.

I have also noticed the Google doesn't seem to be consistent. One week we'll have our site listed in the top 3 and the next week (this week) we are on page 2! What happened? We didn't do anything to our site that would have caused this so we are unsure. But next week still doing nothing to our site we'll most likely be on page one again.
          Something I CAN tell you about the way Google works - before you test stuff or do searches for the purpose of rankings, seo, etc, clear your browser cache and cookies. Google looks there in the process of returning your results to favor prior choices, results, etc.

Anyone else want to dish on how biz is going?

Cheers,
          Buck

Comment

One visit to the site and it takes forever to load and I can see in the status bar what's holding it up (I see the messages: contacting... transferring...). Other times, that item loads quickly but it's something else.
            This is probably due to the cache on the server. Lets say it is set at 60min. On minute 1 you visit your site. It takes a little while to load but then runs quick for the next 59min. Then, the cache expires.

What happens is that when the pages are rendered, the data for that page is stored in the cache for fast access with each new visit. After the time limit, the cache is cleared and the process starts over again.

This method is used to speed up load times and to lighten the load on the servers.

Does anyone know of a tool or site that can break down the loading time of a site in a way that indicates how much time was due to each thing that loads?
            2 things on that.

1. If you load your page and then look a the very bottom of the source code, it'll tell you how long the page took to load.

2. For some actual tools, you can use "YSlow" and "Firebug" together within Firefox. Also, Chrome has a built in inspector that'll tell you this info. Right-click on the page and click inspect element. Inspect Element -> TimeLine. Then, hit the record button on the bottom of the panel and refresh the page. Both of these will show you individual load times of all the elements on the page.

Comment

We use to have a one click Googlebase/Froogle upload capability. This stopped working about two years ago. We haven't tried since, but, does anyone know if the Googlebase upload got working again?
              It was very convenient.
              Since it is not available, we often forget to upload our items to Google shoppinng and they expire! :eek:
              This hurts sales greatly. We upload our items to Google shopping and in a day or two we are back on track! :)

Comment

Originally posted by concession-supply.com View Post
                ...Since it is not available, we often forget to upload our items to Google shoppinng and they expire! :eek:
                This hurts sales greatly. We upload our items to Google shopping and in a day or two we are back on track! :)
                In the Google Merchant Center, under Data Feeds, there is an automatic upload scheduler. This may help.
                Luxlife

Comment

Cool!
                  Does this scheduler login to 3dcart and pull your info automagically? :)

Comment

The scheduler pulls it off your computer. It would use the last saved file. At least this allows you to prevent your products from expiring on Googlebase. You can always save a new file for the next scheduled update or upload an update yourself.
                    Luxlife

Comment

The scheduler pulls it off your computer. It would use the last saved file. At least this allows you to prevent your products from expiring on Googlebase. You can always save a new file for the next scheduled update or upload an update yourself.
                      They cannot schedule an update that'll look into your personal computer. The scheduler actually pulls the data from a directory on your server. I would set it up for once a month/day/week. Then, you would have to generate a feed and stick it in that directory on your server. EX: assets/feeds/google.txt.

You would have to generate it yourself though, then save it to your computer and upload it to your server where google expects to find it.

I've noticed a problem though when we do that. Sometimes the feeds won't get updated even though google gets the data. If you are going to generate the feed, download it, then upload it, it would be easier to just upload it to google directly.

Comment

yeah, that's what we thought. Once you manage all that files/data you might as well just upload the datafeed manually. That's why we liked the submit feed feature! :o
                        Will google accept more than 30 days for products?
                        Perhaps we could tombstone them for 90 days or such.

Comment

No, I think they'll expire after 30 days. PriceGrabber is 20. The easiest you could do would be to keep the export and then just modify the expiration date in excel once in a while.

Comment

We receive a significant sale from the Google Shopping, so, the Googlebase feed is important to us. We also use the same feed for theFIND. theFIND feed doesn't appear to expire.
                            We will just have to be more diligent in scheduling our feed uploads, since it does account for significant exposure/sales :)

Comment

I use Firefox. There is a plugin called "ReminderFox" that I use. It's like a task scheduler/ToDo List.

I set the reminder to let me know every so often that I have to generate a feed and submit it. It's great for other things like bills and other reminders. I schedule things to notify me once a month. There is a snooze button and everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X