X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D + Ready Shipper + UPS

Hello,

I have had a store up for about a year now and I am starting to get some bigger orders so I want to offer my customers UPS shipping. Currently we only offer USPS. I have set up a UPS account and if I test the configuration I receive the message "Test Successfully: the UPS account is working properly." However, if I attempt to use the label manager on the site I receive an error, and if I export orders into Ready Shipper I also receive an error. Anybody else faced a similar problem? And if so how did you fix it.

Thanks

I tried to set up the label manager for both USPS and UPS. Support told me that for USPS it just gives you tracking information and you still have to pay for it in person and that UPS didn't work to print and pay for labels.

They suggested I use a 3rd party solution like Shipworks at an additional charge.

Not really sure why they have the advertise being able to do the shipping from the admin area if it doesn't work but that's the answer that I got.

Comment

I would suggest installing the UPS Worldship desktop software. Use 3DCart to export the orders, import into Worldship, and print labels. It works well.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
        I would suggest installing the UPS Worldship desktop software. Use 3DCart to export the orders, import into Worldship, and print labels. It works well.
        I agree. We use the Worldship plugin and export the orders directly to Worldship. It is very easy and there is no cost except that you have to have a daily pickup account with UPS, which costs $8 or $9 per week. UPS Solutions will even come out to your location and help you configure everything if needed. After completing UPS end of day you can import the tracking data for the whole batch by CSV, and it automatically emails the tracking info to the customers and moves the orders to Shipped.
        Laura Z
        Brass & Silver Traditions
        www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

BaS & CbS, thanks for the tips on the Worldship. I'll have to look at that again to try and streamline things.

:D

Comment

Yep, problems.

So, we're in the middle of this problem, too, and we're not happy.

We ship approx 50-100 packages per day via UPS, as we have for years.

We were using a different cart + Shiprush, and it really wasn't as fast as we needed, plus it was time for a cart change.

So, we went through the sales process, got all the promises, and installed 3DCart...gee, what do you know, UPS label printing in 3DCart is BROKEN. Huh. Funny, that never came up in the sales calls. As far as we're concerned, we should have received a "wave off!" call from our salesperson when it became obvious this function was broken. But, we didn't, we did the install and as the rest of you have noticed, you can't print UPS labels.

So, the first "fix" - worldship. Geez, really? UPS, do you think this is reasonable? Not only does it NOT offer quick label production and NOT export tracking numbers back into 3DCart (100 packages in a day, remember) but the tracking numbers are not in a copyable field! So, we hand typed all those tracking numbers. We were not happy campers.

So, we called 3DCart and were told that a fix is coming, but they don't know when, because UPS has made these technical changes to "printing labels through a 3rd party" and they're working "as fast as they can" on it.

Huh..really? So I can install Shipworks and it will print labels...and that's through a 3rd party. Unfortunately, whoever wrote Shipworks decided it needed "more functionality" and that basically means it tries to maintain a whole separate parallel database of orders. Not good. It populates this giant database from 3DCart....almost. It omits a few important things, like changes to orders or cancellations. It also appears to just keep building the database and never purges...this thing is getting huge and starting to get slow...what's it going to be like in a month? 6 months?

Plus, we're now paying extra for a function that 3DCart has a (broken) button for.

I'm curious...is ANYONE else shipping over 50 UPS packages per day using 3DCart? Anyone? How are you shipping right now?

And, wow, what was it like on the day that UPS changed things...panic? How did you respond?

Comment

Hi. Yes, we ship high quantities, and we use UPS almost exclusively. It is very quick and easy. Yes, you absolutely can import the tracking numbers. Our Worldship is set up so that the tracking info automatically updates to our csv fine when we do end of day. Then on 3dCart it is literally two clicks of a button and the tracking numbers import automatically, and also notify the customers of the shipment and move the orders to the Shipped page of the admin panel. It is very easy, but as I said earlier, you can also call UPS Customer Solutions. They will come to your location free of charge and configure everything how you want it for you. It really does work well, and easily. We are very happy with it.
              Laura Z

Comment

Originally posted by Basher View Post
                So, we're in the middle of this problem, too, and we're not happy.

We ship approx 50-100 packages per day via UPS, as we have for years.

We were using a different cart + Shiprush, and it really wasn't as fast as we needed, plus it was time for a cart change.

So, we went through the sales process, got all the promises, and installed 3DCart...gee, what do you know, UPS label printing in 3DCart is BROKEN. Huh. Funny, that never came up in the sales calls. As far as we're concerned, we should have received a "wave off!" call from our salesperson when it became obvious this function was broken. But, we didn't, we did the install and as the rest of you have noticed, you can't print UPS labels.

So, the first "fix" - worldship. Geez, really? UPS, do you think this is reasonable? Not only does it NOT offer quick label production and NOT export tracking numbers back into 3DCart (100 packages in a day, remember) but the tracking numbers are not in a copyable field! So, we hand typed all those tracking numbers. We were not happy campers.

So, we called 3DCart and were told that a fix is coming, but they don't know when, because UPS has made these technical changes to "printing labels through a 3rd party" and they're working "as fast as they can" on it.

Huh..really? So I can install Shipworks and it will print labels...and that's through a 3rd party. Unfortunately, whoever wrote Shipworks decided it needed "more functionality" and that basically means it tries to maintain a whole separate parallel database of orders. Not good. It populates this giant database from 3DCart....almost. It omits a few important things, like changes to orders or cancellations. It also appears to just keep building the database and never purges...this thing is getting huge and starting to get slow...what's it going to be like in a month? 6 months?

Plus, we're now paying extra for a function that 3DCart has a (broken) button for.

I'm curious...is ANYONE else shipping over 50 UPS packages per day using 3DCart? Anyone? How are you shipping right now?

And, wow, what was it like on the day that UPS changed things...panic? How did you respond?
                Although we did have an issue with the process of printing labels, the problem has been resolved a couple of weeks ago. Please submit a ticket regarding this and we will get it resolved asap. If a ticket was already submitted for this recently please post ticket ID.
                ----------------------------
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
                  Although we did have an issue with the process of printing labels, the problem has been resolved a couple of weeks ago. Please submit a ticket regarding this and we will get it resolved asap. If a ticket was already submitted for this recently please post ticket ID.

I had been working with Chat and not a ticket so I'll get a ticket rolling.

Will USPS ever have the same functionality?

Thank you for the update Gil..
                  Last edited by Evolution; 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

We've been using UPS daily pickup for a few years, but, never got worldship to work seamlessly. What version of Worldship is working flawlessly, anyone?
                    Do you need to install an older version and then upgrade?
                    We just switched to Windows 7 and just went throught the nightmare of the thermal label printer requirement to reinstall and there is no Windows 7 drivers for the UPS thermal Printer, so, that was bad enough getting that working, that's another reason we refrain from trying anything new. :( The mere lack of a thermal printer driver/functionality and you are out of business! :eek:
                    We currently print the invoice (to the screen) and cut and paste the shipment information and resultant tracking info into UPS Online and then manually update the orders as shipped which send out the UPS tracking info. We ship around 10 orders a day. We are not quite where Worldship benefits kick in, and, from what's been said on here from time to time, if you don't do 25 packages a day, you are probaly more efficient using the cut and paste method. Thoughts anyone? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      We've been using UPS daily pickup for a few years, but, never got worldship to work seamlessly. What version of Worldship is working flawlessly, anyone?
                      Do you need to install an older version and then upgrade?
                      We just switched to Windows 7 and just went throught the nightmare of the thermal label printer requirement to reinstall and there is no Windows 7 drivers for the UPS thermal Printer, so, that was bad enough getting that working, that's another reason we refrain from trying anything new. :( The mere lack of a thermal printer driver/functionality and you are out of business! :eek:
                      We currently print the invoice (to the screen) and cut and paste the shipment information and resultant tracking info into UPS Online and then manually update the orders as shipped which send out the UPS tracking info. We ship around 10 orders a day. We are not quite where Worldship benefits kick in, and, from what's been said on here from time to time, if you don't do 25 packages a day, you are probaly more efficient using the cut and paste method. Thoughts anyone? :)
                      We use Worldship 12.0, and our computer system is all computers with Windows 7 that we rolled back to XP until issues like you describe have been worked out. Even at 10 orders a day, all that manual entry would be so time consuming. We export our orders using the Worldship plug-in, and then have a Keyed Import system set up in Worldship, so that all we do for each order is key in the order number. All the information populates automatically. After we are done, we have our end of day procedure in Worldship automatically exports all tracking data to a csv file. In 3dCart we then import the file and all tracking numbers and shipping information is done automatically. Whether it is 10 orders a day or 100, it takes just seconds to do. Also, I can't stress enough how much UPS will help with all of this. Call your UPS account rep. They will go out of their way to make things operate smoothly for you.
                      Laura Z

Comment

Hi. Yes, we ship high quantities, and we use UPS almost exclusively. It is very quick and easy. Yes, you absolutely can import the tracking numbers. Our Worldship is set up so that the tracking info automatically updates to our csv fine when we do end of day. Then on 3dCart it is literally two clicks of a button and the tracking numbers import automatically, and also notify the customers of the shipment and move the orders to the Shipped page of the admin panel. It is very easy, but as I said earlier, you can also call UPS Customer Solutions. They will come to your location free of charge and configure everything how you want it for you. It really does work well, and easily. We are very happy with it.
                        Woah...wait a minute. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

So, I've been at the mercy of (someone?) in the 3DCart organization for the last two weeks who has been telling me that what you describe above is *currently impossible* and that the fix is *not yet perfected*. What? I've been talking to people at 3DCart for two weeks, and nothing like the above has ever been mentioned, not once. UPS needs to be involved to do the configuration? What? Why? Does 3DCart know this? And then this! -

What? Then what have I been waiting for for two weeks? I didn't submit a ticket, I called my salesman Brad at ext. 151 and he has me working with David Murray in tech. David very patiently explained this all to me yesterday, that we cannot print UPS labels direct from 3DCart currently and if we really needed to print labels directly and needed automatic tracking numbers we would need to switch to another carrier such as FedEx until they had a solution for UPS.

SO...what was it that was fixed two weeks ago? When we try to print labels in 3DCart it still has exactly the same error as before
                        Hard: invalid access number
                        which when we called about it, we were told that this is precisely what 3DCart is currently working to fix.

Oh, boy, what a mess.

Call your UPS account rep. They will go out of their way to make things operate smoothly for you.
                        That was not the case here. Our UPS rep was clueless. He had no idea where to begin to help us. I'll try him again, and let him know that UPS has helped other people with this before.

I cannot express how frustrating this has been. The process that BrassandSilver describes is the way it was laid out for us during the sales process, but this is precisely the process that we have been told is currently impossible.

EDIT - On phone now trying to get our ticket number. People are very perplexed. This is awesome.
                        Last edited by Basher; 08-24-2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

It appears that in this particular case there is an issue with your UPS account (configuration, or something specific to your UPS acct #), and we are awaiting UPS response.

You already have people on our side working for you, let them do their job, i promise that once UPS responds we can move forward and get this resolved for you.
                          ----------------------------
                          Gonzalo Gil
                          3dCart Support
                          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Looks like BrassandSilver is a user who has been shipping UPS for a long time, and apparently was grandfathered in when the new UPS procedures were put in place, the 3DCart people have told me that new users cannot get in under the old system.

Apparently we missed the opportunity to be on the "old system" by...weeks? Months? Who knows. But we missed this critical deadline and now we're in no-man's-land since the process of adding new users to the "new system" is apparently problematic. Apparently, UPS is denying the validity of the account number we ship on every day for an unknown reason.

The people at 3DCart are being pretty insistent to the me on the phone that this is not their fault, but I cannot help but wonder why we didn't either start this server application process sooner or why no one told us that this was going on until after we had committed?

Comment

Thoughts anyone?
                              Oh yes. Plenty. Most of them unprintable in a public forum.

I'd like to clarify something from above for anyone who is following along and trying to get good information on UPS shipping right now:

The system BrassandSilver is using is what the 3DCart reps are calling the "old" system in our conversations. We, as new users, are not eligible for the "old" system (per the new UPS rules). We have to be on the "new" system...apparently only a very few 3DCart customers have so far been set up on the "new" system and ours is the first time a setup failed.

So, I've been on the phone with our UPS rep again, and 3DCart again, and no one can do anything. We wait, hand-typing tracking numbers for all of these orders.

This reminds me of a story about the DMV or the IRS.

Comment

Working...
                              X