Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using redirects with no page in the URL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Using redirects with no page in the URL

    I had an issue with adding redirects that don't directly reference a page.

    Example:
    http://oldsite.com/abc or http://oldsite.com/?post=123

    You can't add these as old pages because 3dcart will say they are invalid. However you can add some fake valid name (http://oldsite.com/abc.html) and then *change* the line and save it as an update. I just tested this and it works OK.

    (Note: In your redirects you don't enter the http://oldsite.com/ portion. I just used that for an example. Your old page name is everything after the trailing /)

    Thanks to Clayton Schock in support for the resolution

  • #2
    Just checking - is this still the case? I just added one (but have a LOT more to do), and I didn't seem to have an issue. I did include a trailing slash (/), because that's how my old URLS are, but there is no page following it.

    I didn't get any kind of error or invalid response - just want to make sure I'm OK, because my domain is not live yet, and I'd be really unhappy if I add all of these redirects, and they don't work when the site goes live next week.
    ________
    Lovely Wendie
    Last edited by RJC; 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      One the site I have here I had to do the process noted in the first post. I had an old url that was mysite.com/moa and in order to get the redirect to take I had to make the redirect be moa.html redirected to the home.

      Then I went in and changed moa.html to just be moa.

      This was just done today so I would say yes, it's still an issue.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Evolution View Post
        One the site I have here I had to do the process noted in the first post. I had an old url that was mysite.com/moa and in order to get the redirect to take I had to make the redirect be moa.html redirected to the home.

        Then I went in and changed moa.html to just be moa.

        This was just done today so I would say yes, it's still an issue.
        Ok, so just to clarify - is 3dcart accepting the redirect when you input it, or is it giving you an error right off the bat?

        Did you try to use a trailing slash? I wonder if it makes a difference. All of my old urls use trailing slashes, but no page names.

        Sorry for all of the questions, but I have no idea whether the redirects are actually going to work, because my domain won't be moved over for another week or so yet. I put them all in as http://www.domain.com/oldpage/ and didn't get any error messages or anything. There are quite a few of them, and add to that the fact that the text boxes only show the first so many characters, so changing them all would (will?) be a real pain in the you know what.
        ________
        The Cigar Boss
        Last edited by RJC; 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RJC View Post
          Ok, so just to clarify - is 3dcart accepting the redirect when you input it, or is it giving you an error right off the bat?

          Did you try to use a trailing slash? I wonder if it makes a difference. All of my old urls use trailing slashes, but no page names.

          Sorry for all of the questions, but I have no idea whether the redirects are actually going to work, because my domain won't be moved over for another week or so yet. I put them all in as http://www.domain.com/oldpage/ and didn't get any error messages or anything. There are quite a few of them, and add to that the fact that the text boxes only show the first so many characters, so changing them all would (will?) be a real pain in the you know what.
          No, it will not accept it when I input it.

          When I entered in moa/ as the URL I got a pop-up when I tried to save that the URL was not correct.

          When you enter a redirect you are not supposed to put in the full url like you have described. you're supposed to enter in the path after your base url. So, instead of http://www.domain.com/oldpage/index.html you should be entering oldpage/index.html .

          Here is one KB on redirects: https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...nav=0,30,35,58

          Comment


          • #6
            Fuuuuuuuhhhhhhh.....OK. Well, this is good and bad I suppose - bad that I have to redo a few hundred redirects..good that I know they'll work after I do them. Thanks for all of your assistance - saved me a huge future headache!
            ________
            OPEL OHV ENGINE
            Last edited by RJC; 05-11-2011, 11:37 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              OK, I set all of these up, but after we changed our DNS, and the site is slowly starting to resolve to the new 3dcart site, the redirects are NOT working when we click on the old URLs in google - tech support is telling me that redirects will NOT work in this case (without page names).

              Are your redirects actually working??
              ________
              Vapir oxygen
              Last edited by RJC; 05-11-2011, 11:37 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RJC View Post
                OK, I set all of these up, but after we changed our DNS, and the site is slowly starting to resolve to the new 3dcart site, the redirects are NOT working when we click on the old URLs in google - tech support is telling me that redirects will NOT work in this case (without page names).

                Are your redirects actually working??
                Yes, they work great.

                How long have you waited since you change the DNS settings? You'll want to remember that until there is full propagation (24hrs) you may have issues with things like redirects.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is this still working for you both? I was previously getting an error like discribed in the post when I tried to set up a redirect and contacted tech support for assistance who opened a ticket because they were also receiving this error. Tech supports response was to do a custom 404 page... but now I have a ton of 404 errors.

                  If this is working now --- that would be great! I would hate to input all my redirects though and find out that is not the case. How long does it take for the 301 to show up?

                  I made the change to :
                  /servlet/the-ALL/ to redirect to /home.asp

                  but my custom 404 page is still showing instead of the home page? Does it take a while for it to work properly?

                  Thanks for the help!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X