Where to put tracking analytics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put tracking analytics?

I'm getting ready to jump ship to 3dcart. I'm running into some head scratching things so will be posting a few of them.

Where do I put the google analytics code?

Perhaps more importantly....anytime I use the template editor, I don't see the changes. I have caching turned off. I refresh anyway. But nothing. I can take chunks of html out. Put new chunks in. And it all seems to be ignored.

So, if I want analytics in my header, where do I put it? And why are my template changes seemingly meaningless?

When it comes to editing the templates, yes, the template editor area is were you want to make the changes, however, for example for Google analytics there is a special procedure you want to follow.

I suggest you visit:

http://support.3dcart.com/

There is all kinds of articles to help you, in particular you want to look at:

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...nloaditemid=29

Regarding the Cache, if cache is off in Settings->General->Store settings (very bottom), then, chances are you are editing a page that you are not looking at, ie, changing a category template but you are looking at the home page.

In general the template you will edit the most is called "frame.html" this is the file that controls the top/bottom/left/right areas of your store.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I am banging my head on this.

I have tried putting in in my frame. I have tried using the header/footer setting

I'll get google analytics info for a bit, then nothing.

Or I'll get clicks/source/medium, but zero e-commerce reporting.

It's very frustrating as it's going on 2 weeks and haven't gotten anywhere with support.

I've followed the guide.

I've had my google rep look at it.

I've had 3d cart people go in and change the settings.

Nothing has turned on analytics correctly

Dave

Comment

The guide was recently revised and has been confirmed to work by our technicians and myself (As long as you follow the steps), the majority of the work is being done on Google's side, not 3dcart, so if you did the 2 things required on 3dcart's side (entering the snippets of code in the right places), then most likely your google analytics account settings are not correct (ie you didnt use the seucre URL on google).

In the event you can not get it to work, we do offer a service to install the code for you, and verify its working, the information can be found here:

http://store.3dcart.com/3dcart-googl...rce-setup.html
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

This may sound crazy, but I found that if you'll click the save button on the Settings > Design > Store Language page, it somehow refreshes the store and you can see your template changes right away. So I saved the Store Language settings page as a shortcut and then every time I make a change to my template, I'll go "save" the Store Language page before I go look to see my template changes on my site. Works every time! :)

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
            The guide was recently revised and has been confirmed to work by our technicians and myself (As long as you follow the steps), the majority of the work is being done on Google's side, not 3dcart, so if you did the 2 things required on 3dcart's side (entering the snippets of code in the right places), then most likely your google analytics account settings are not correct (ie you didnt use the seucre URL on google).

In the event you can not get it to work, we do offer a service to install the code for you, and verify its working, the information can be found here:

http://store.3dcart.com/3dcart-googl...rce-setup.html
            Are you referring to this pdf: You are here: Support Center » Downloads » Google Analytics Integration
            Google Analytics Integration
            Description
            Information on how to install Google Analytics on 3dCart.
            Download Details
            Filename: google_analytics_3.2.pdf

Total Downloads: 6869
            Size: 478.08 KB

# Comments: 0
            Creation Date: 05 Oct 2006 06:33 PM

Modified: 28 Oct 2010 06:13 PM

Comment

Yes, that's the one.
              Gonzalo Gil
              3dCart Support
              800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Ok, I've followed instructions. Installed in global left banner (and can see in page source) and have installed the snippet on checkout4

I still can't see anything in GA.

http://www.nytstore.com/

Comment

Regarding changes and not seeing them.

I run into this before, it's random and drives me nuts. I'm doing a redesign so it's come up again.
                  I use FF but also keep a IE 8 window open to preview it too.

First: though enabled I clean the 3d cashe after making any change and I make small changes at a time which makes it more frustrating.

Template changes are sometimes instant.

But..

Stylesheet changes seem to take a few minutes and have had template changes not show up too and I think 'it didn't work'.

Making changes last week several times I had to clear my browser cookies plus close and reopen the browser to see them.

It was particularly frustrating last week because I meshed two templates together for the start of the design. I had a big gap above the top bar and since I didn't write it I couldn't find where it was written in and sure it was in the frame (NOT!) and it wasn't moving

Stranger yet I added a BG image as a test to the 'top bar' in CSS to locate the gap. Tried several methods to see it and decided I'd done something wrong so took it out.

Had to do shipping so ran to the PO to drop off. When I came back checked the site, the new spacing was in effect but test image that was coded out was there!

Cleared cashe and cookies again and all the new changes were in effect.

Funny!

**update** nytstore: just saw you store language update thing. Believe I saw it but didn't catch it last week, THANKS!
                  Last edited by mondo; 11-03-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Please change this:

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "googleanalytics.
                    com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

to

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "googleanalytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

This is causing a javascript error.
                    Gonzalo Gil
                    3dCart Support
                    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Made that change...GA still showing no tracking installed...I'll give it a few hours.

www.nytstore.com

Thanks for your assistance!

Would I be better off putting it directly into our frame rather than using the global left banner? It does appear in page source though, so maybe a non issue.

If I sent you a page source for the checkout4, would you be able to spot an error? i can run a test order and grab the page source

Comment

I acutally found another script error on this line:

var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");

It shouldn't have gone over 2 lines, and is fixed in the left banner, where it renders as one complete line now and "http://www."); doesn't go on a line alone.

Good news: Google is now showing: Waiting for Data
                        Analytics has been successfully installed and data is being gathered now.

Hopefully this will get me the E-com data. Appreciate your help again Gonzalo.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X