item search box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• item search box

Please please would you fix it or give us the option so people can search for all words. When having thousands of items it is hard to narrow the search down without searching for all words.

if you have 500 widgets and you want the yellow long one, it would be nice to search for "widget yellow long" and get a hit. Now it is impossible to find it. The only way is to search for Widget and get 500 results, unless you know the exact name.

Am I wrong here???

Are you talking about the admin or the front customer side?

On the front end, it will take multiple keywords, so, yes, if you have 500 widgets, searching for widget will get you 500 results, but, if you typed

widget white

it would search for "Widget white" then "widget" then "white" and give you the results.

So it does work with multiple keywords, the less you give it the more generic it will work off coarse...
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
      We are still setting the store up, so my experience is with the back end. I just assumed the search boxes are the same.
      I just tested the front end and it is as you said.

Can we please, please have that same capability on the back end as on the front end?? Would sure make finding items to edit much easier than it is now.

Comment

It seems like the search in the upper right hand corner of the admin box works the same as the one on the site (and works well).

Is this the one you are using?

I usually get frustrated using the search in the various other places (like under Filter or whatever)

DaveW

Comment

Dave, that is the one I am using, in the upper right corner.
          in my case the words have to be exact or no results are produced.

I just tried a term like "widget yellow", on the front end it produced 332 results, on the back end it said Sorry, no matches were found

I have Quick Search disabled. Are there any other settings that might affect that??????

Comment

The front end search and the back end search don't work the same.

The front end one is actually more advanced, letting the customer search for multiple keywords and then having it show results ranked by relevancy.

The back end search is still a keyword search, searching for "blue widget" will search just for that "blue widget" it will not find "yellow widget".
            Gonzalo Gil
            3dCart Support
            800-828-6650 x111

Comment

GonzaloGil, Thanks for clarifying.

We edit many products each day. We'd love to have the davanced search feature on the back end.
              I would add it to the UserVoice feature request, but not much is hapening there, except for a few big requests.
              it seems like one or two requests should be taken care of each week to keep user interest going.

Comment

The uservoice site gets many new requests each day and so its tough for us to be updating it every other day, however, we are listening, and so please do post it there so we can get feeedback from others.
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
                  On the front end, it will take multiple keywords, so, yes, if you have 500 widgets, searching for widget will get you 500 results, but, if you typed

widget white

it would search for "Widget white" then "widget" then "white" and give you the results.

So it does work with multiple keywords, the less you give it the more generic it will work off coarse...
                  The search no longer seems to work with multiple keywords
                  Clayton
                  Go Live Industries

Comment

Not to hijack this thread but where are the searches stored? My old cart you could search all the searched terms to see what products people were searching for?

Comment

I don't think this is available on this cart.
                      However, with each order there is a section called "Customer Visits Details". This has some very interesting information.

Comment

Search for all words on back end

Gonzalo, if you see this. Would just adding " &All=True " after the kewyword serach string in the code give us more usability. I just hack at this so maybe I am way off.

so the search string would look like
                        KeyWords=yellow%20widget&All=True

Comment

Working...
                        X