"Not Completed" Orders Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Not Completed" Orders Question

Ok, so what do you do with the "Step 1" not completed orders? We have a growing number of these Step 1 orders, with no contact info, no name, etc. Do you just delete them off that list, or do you have to keep the growing list so that reports/stats are correct? I hope that's not the case, because I've already deleted some. Anyway, as a newbie, I was just wanting to find out what other people did about these particular entries. Thanks! :)

We wait a day or two and then just delete them. Some of them are obviously from web crawlers and those we delete right away. I don't think there is any need to keep them.
    Laura Z
    Brass & Silver Traditions
    www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

We just keep them. It's not like they're taking up space or getting in the way and 3dcart's system eventually does delete them.

We've found that we have a lot of people come back several days later, even several weeks later, and finish their transactions! Kinda nice for them to not have to go fill up their shopping cart again.

Just my 2 cents! :)

Comment

Ok, wait... I thought I read here in the forums that the cart contents ARE NOT saved for a particular customer if that customer doesn't log in. And if the customer doesn't log in, there's no customer info associated with the cart. And so if there's no customer info associated with the cart, then they can't complete that particular "Step 1" order.

I thought it was odd that the contents of the cart aren't saved via cookies like so many other shopping carts, so am I mistaken? Because I even posted it to our Facebook page that people had to log in to save their carts because that's what I read here in the forums. Need definitive answers...

Comment

I would also like an answer to this. More detail on this from 3dcart would be helpful.
          A cookie can track anonymous shoppers and their items will still be there waiting for them if they come back to the site. We have this with our other cart and it works great.
          The only issue (which was fixed) was if some of the items in the cart were no longer available on the site, it used to throw an error.

Comment

Cookies are used to save the user session ID, then using the sessionID the order is created on the database. It would not be very safe to store item data on cookies, because that means the customer would be able to edit them outside of 3dcart.

The incomplete orders will automatically delete after 30 days of not being completed, the space they take is minimal but if you like to delete them, here is an article on that:

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=174
            ----------------------------
            Gonzalo Gil
            3dCart Support
            800-828-6650 x111

Comment

GonzaloGil, so then is it correct that the only way the contents of the cart are saved is if the customer has logged into their account prior to leaving the store?

Comment

GonzaloGil, so then is it correct that the only way the contents of the cart are saved is if the customer has logged into their account prior to leaving the store?
                I guess it depends on what you mean by "saved"

If customer adds something to the cart (does not log in just adds to cart). Leaves the store, and comes back tomorrow. The item will still show on their cart. So in this case, yes, the cart is saved for the customer, for 30 days, as long as they don't wipe out their cookies on their machine.

If however, customer adds something to the cart, leaves, and goes to a different computer and visits the store, there is no way to retrieve the cart, since that cart was not assigned to a specific customer profile so its not "saved" for them to retrieve it on that new computer.
                ----------------------------
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Good deal. Your first scenario was the one I was concerned about, so then it is possible that these Not Completed, Step 1 orders which don't have any customer information associated with them could POTENTIALLY be completed by that same customer within the 30 day time frame as long as they are using the same computer.

That's good to know and so I won't deleted those carts after all. :)

Comment

Originally posted by brassandsilver View Post
                    We wait a day or two and then just delete them. Some of them are obviously from web crawlers and those we delete right away. I don't think there is any need to keep them.
                    That was witnessed over the last weekend with one of the carts we manage. They went from 5 to about 130(ish) in a matter of minutes.

In that case we just deleted them as a matter of housekeeping.

Comment

Working...
                    X