Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listing Template editing advice needed

Hi all,

Hope your holidays were great! I have a question regarding editing a listing template to exclude the Quantity Discount box and then center the Quantity/Add to Cart portion that would usually be justified towards the right side, but now would likely look much better centered (or even justified towards the left) with the absence of the Qty Discount box.

I've attached a screen-shot photo that highlights what I'm trying to explain.

I'm not sure where to look for that template to edit, and even where within the listing template to find those codes to edit. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
    James
    Attached Files

Still can't quite figure this out...

Hi all,

I still can't seem to figure out how to edit my Listing_1 template to do what I'm trying to do.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5164/...22e52da794.jpg

I'm afraid of removing more than what I really want or need to remove from the template (the Quantity Price, or Discount Price, box is all I'm trying to get rid of), and I also can't figure out where to start the code to center the Quantity Field box with the Add to Cart button.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who has any thoughts or suggestions, and sorry again for asking the stupidest question ever on this forum,
    -James

Comment

If you give a link to an example page, I might be able to help you. I can't do much with a screenshot.

Comment

Hi cbsteven!

We're adding about 5x more products that are going to need this template and changing around nearly every aspect of the rest of the overall, but here's an example of a product that could use this listing template revision.

It's hidden right now until we can make the changes to the template (along with the many other products that could use it), but we need the Quantity Discount box deleted because right now it shows -1, -2, -4, etc. due to having multiple size options with no "standard" discount to the different pricing.

Thanks again!
        James

Comment

Within the product listing template file (listing_#.html), the block of code that displays the quantity discount box is within the:

<!--START: quantity_items-->

<!--END: quantity_items-->

You should be able to safely delete that entire section. It is hard to predict how doing so will effect the display of the section to the right, since <tables> are notoriously horrible for layouts, so I would start with removing it and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks cbsteven, I'll give that I try. That's where I suspected it was, but was afraid that if I removed it and it turned out to be the wrong thing, I'd be lost...

Thanks again for your help!
            James

Comment

If you delete the quantity pricing on the product itself this goes away and doesn't affect the layout of the page.

On a different note. Looking at this item your color drop down lists colors but I don't see what those colors look like. What is "Acid Green"? A thought here. since you can put colors on the drop down this would help sell your product if the color listed was shown with the drop down.

You may have a different plan for this but it was just something I noticed. I know I would not buy if I could not see what the color actually looked like.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken,

I truly appreciate your thoughts. We're working on a lot of changes to this relatively new cart (just kind of threw in some of our popular products so not too much is lost while we make all of the changes). At the moment the cart is actually linking-in from our regular website which has a color swatch that shows all of the available colors. Customers do not find our cart by itself, but rather through our main site and then select "Add to Cart" which puts them in 3D cart (we're moving towards having it all-in-one without a main site, but for the time being it's been working).

We're working on having an if:then for the drop-down menu so that once a color is selected, the tablecloth photo will automatically change to the color (ex. If "Acid Green" is selected, then show "Acid Green Tablecloth").

Again, I appreciate all comments and I know this cart needs a lot of work. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain :)

-James

Comment

Hi James,

I understand. I just saw this and thought it was something I would have overlooked on my carts so I wanted to point it out.

3dcart isn't a pain as far as it goes. Most other carts I have tried have been more work than they are worth. Of course there are always going to be issues but for the most part I find 3dcart the best one available.

Now if I can just figure out the tabs on the listing page!!!

Good luck,
                  Ken

Comment

I know zilch about coding but am curious what is the best program to use to make changes?

Comment

Thanks, Ken. I look forward to challenges like designing something from scratch, but there are many times that I wish I had learned this stuff in school or had some kind of formal training that would make it 100x easier and faster. Good luck figuring out your tabs, my experience is that the other members of this forum are extremely helpful (like you have been!) if you keep hitting road blocks.

rburton34, I also know very little about coding, but I've heard some things about Kompozer (but have not tried it out fully). It's free also. May be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by JR123 View Post

rburton34, I also know very little about coding, but I've heard some things about Kompozer (but have not tried it out fully). It's free also. May be worth checking out.
                        Thanks. I will check it out. I just want to do basic things like move the addthis and fb like buttons around and change the default buttons.

Comment

JR123,

Got the tabs figured out. Thanks. They look good and make the page so much shorter. Thanks to 3dcart for making these available.

For editing templates I use Note Tab Pro. I copy the template to a blank page in Note Tab, Save this file, and then make changes, Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Then switch to the 3dcart page with the template code, click on the code anywhere, Ctrl A, Ctrl V, Save.

Once it is saved I checkout the changes to the page on the site. If whatever change I made was wrong I go back to Note Tab and Undo the change and can make different changes.

But this is important: After making changes to the file in Note Tab do NOT save the file before you make sure the changes worked on the site. This way the Undo button will undo your changes and you can start over if you need to.

If you save the file you cannot "Undo" your changes if what you did was wrong. You then have to revert the template on 3dcart and select all (Ctrl A), Copy (Ctrl C) and then select all, paste (Ctrl V) it back into Note Tab and save it.

I prefer Note Tab because I have used it for years but any good text editor will work.

Hope this helps.

Ken
                          Last edited by watchdr; 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Ken and I'm glad you were able to get your tabs to work! I appreciate the advice, I'm going to check out Note Tab right now.

-James

Comment

Working...
                            X