SSL Certificates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL Certificates?

EV SSL Certificates here are $249 a year. I can get EV's at GoDaddy.com for $99 a year. A much better value. Will 3dcart install it are they going to give me a hard time?

I think I read somewhere that they will install, but it will be an additional charge. Just email them or create a ticket and I'm sure they'll tell you how much.

Comment

Actually its $99 for an EV installation but its still well worth it in the long run. The GoDaddy.com EV for 2 years was $149 and I had a 10% off coupon that made it $134 + $99 installation = $233 for 2 years. The one that 3D cart sells is $249 for one year so I am getting 2 years at less than the cost for the one year.

Comment

That is a good deal. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I just got the premium SSL from GoDaddy also for $75/year (that was the price if you did 2 years). They *always* have deals, so I also got 29% off my purchase. Total: I paid $106 to them for the SSL for a 2-year contract, and then $99 to 3dcart for the install. Not a bad deal.

Once you're a customer of GoDaddy, they'll email you deals periodically. So far, the process has taken a couple weeks. GoDaddy gives you a 'free temporary' SSL to hold you over. I haven't done anything with it, as I don't know if that's included in my $99 that I paid to 3dCart or not. Since I don't know how long the vetting process is for the premium SSL, perhaps I'll look into what's involved with setting up the temp SSL. I'll let you know...
          VMcEwen
          Zephyr Kites

Comment

In my SSL receipt email, I had another coupon. I don't know if it's specific to me or if you can use it, but it's for 20% off a purchase of $75 or more.

http://www.godaddy.com/default.aspx?...B46HP&ci=16654
            VMcEwen
            Zephyr Kites

Comment

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Comment

If your looking for the GeoTrust one that 3D sells, you can get it for $125/yr (2 year term) at:

http://www.clickssl.com/promotion/cheapevssl.aspx

$250.00 2 years
                $100 Setup
                -----------
                $350.00 Total for 2 years -vs - $498.00 for 2 years through 3dcart

Now if you're not looking for GeoTrust, the Go Daddy deal seems pretty good.

As a side note, why so much to install a cert. It takes just a minute or two to do and most web hosts control panels allow you the ability to do so on your own. I understand 3dcart is not really web hosting, it's still alot to charge for a very simple (and common) task.

Comment

Originally posted by stevekem View Post
                  I understand 3dcart is not really web hosting, it's still alot to charge for a very simple (and common) task.
                  I agree on this one in regards to the price. 3dcart technically is a cart - but they build in the hosting - which means they are a web hosting company. If I want to, I can't move my 3dcart store to a different hosting company. Due to this fact, they can charge much higher prices on things that really shouldn't even remotely cost so much - and there isn't much we can do about it other than move to a totally different cart.

Comment

Originally posted by BestCostumeSite View Post
                    I agree on this one in regards to the price. 3dcart technically is a cart - but they build in the hosting - which means they are a web hosting company. If I want to, I can't move my 3dcart store to a different hosting company. Due to this fact, they can charge much higher prices on things that really shouldn't even remotely cost so much - and there isn't much we can do about it other than move to a totally different cart.
                    And only 1 person installs EV Certificates and they don't work on the weekends. I submitted my EV SSL on Friday at 4:00 EST and I was told it wont get installed until Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by tmilone103 View Post
                      And only 1 person installs EV Certificates and they don't work on the weekends. I submitted my EV SSL on Friday at 4:00 EST and I was told it wont get installed until Monday.
                      For as much as they charge for things, you would figure the quality or timeliness of service would be good, but it's just ok.

Comment

Thinking about going the Godaddy route for a EV SSL. $149 (2 years) plus $99 for install puts it at $248 for a two years. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Am I missing something? Are there any reoccurring fees on the 3dCart side after the initial install?

Comment

There are no other hidden fees. Our GoDaddy SSL just expired, I renewed for another 2 years. No need to pay for the install again. We've been very happy with it.
                          VMcEwen
                          Zephyr Kites

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for the update! Heading off to Godaddy now...

Comment

So to update: There IS a fee to 'renew' your third party SSL. I purchased another 2 years with GoDaddy in Feb ($148.98 after coupon codes!!). I thought that was all I needed to do. Now that the original SSL is about to 'expire', I was getting emails from GoDaddy that my SSL was expiring. Confused, I called GoDaddy----I paid for the SSL. Why was it 'expiring?' GoDaddy said they need to reverify company info, and so need me to initiate a CSR with 3dCart. GD said it should not be as involved as the first time, as long as not much as changed.

I called 3dCart tech support. The first person I spoke with said I should NOT be charged the $99 install fee, since the certificate has already been installed and that it is just being 'renewed.' I did everything on the CSR request form that he said to do, but got an error message. Unfortunately I'd already hung up the phone. The 2nd guy I spoke with said I WOULD be charged the $99 because the first certificate is ending, and a new one will be installed. I *really* do not like getting differing information---it does not instill confidence. Either way, GD is still a much better option cost-wise.
                              VMcEwen
                              Zephyr Kites

Comment

Working...
                              X