Need help with Redirect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Redirect

I have an open ticket with this question for 12 hours now without a reply. Maybe someone in this forum can help me quicker.

I am getting ready to bring my site live and I am moving from Volusion. Volusion uses /Default.asp on many of the common links (Emails, Newsletters, Etc.) I am trying to set a redirect from /Default.asp to just the home page.

The Redirect manager has no option to redirect a page to the home root. Any ideas how to do this?

Perhaps this thread will help.

http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...-page-url.html

Comment

Are you saying we can not have /someoldpage.asp or /someoldpage.htm go to www.mydomain.com.

and do we need the "/" when setting up redirects? The information makes it appear we do not but I thought it was needed.

And why in the world can we only do one redirect at a time? I have never seen a cart only allow one entry at a time.

Comment

Are you saying we can not have /someoldpage.asp or /someoldpage.htm go to www.mydomain.com.

and do we need the "/" when setting up redirects? The information makes it appear we do not but I thought it was needed.
        The way I have mine set up is index.php is now redirected to index.html .

The redirects do not need a trailing "/", they should simply point to the 3d-url's.

And why in the world can we only do one redirect at a time? I have never seen a cart only allow one entry at a time.
        Oh but you can do many at a time, if you pay them to do it :rolleyes: .. You aren't the only one that thinks a redirect import should be a standard part of the admin area and not a paid option.
        Last edited by Evolution; 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM.

Comment

As an ex-volusion user, here's how my 301 redirects are set up from my old home page to my new home page:

Code:
          URL                                                  Mapped URL
          Default.asp                                               /
          Default.asp?Redirected=Y                                  /
          And since I had over 1000 redirects to set up, I put it all in a spreadsheet and paid 3dC support to upload them for me.
          Last edited by piaf; 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

wait... what are you redirecting default.asp to? Your site url? I have many old, dead pages redirecting to my full domain url ex: www.mydomain.com

Also, what about images that are in google ? I type my url into google, look at images and see quite a few. Should images be redirected???

And, I have dozens of shoppingcart.asp? pages in google. When I click them, my cart page comes up with that item in the cart. How do I handle these? They are in the shoppingcart.asp?productcode=XXXXX format. Is placing /shoppingcart.asp and redirecting to my domain url sufficient or should I redirect those to each individual item page?

I am just really clueless when it comes to the whole redirect thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
              wait... what are you redirecting default.asp to? Your site url? I have many old, dead pages redirecting to my full domain url ex: www.mydomain.com

Also, what about images that are in google ? I type my url into google, look at images and see quite a few. Should images be redirected???

And, I have dozens of shoppingcart.asp? pages in google. When I click them, my cart page comes up with that item in the cart. How do I handle these? They are in the shoppingcart.asp?productcode=XXXXX format. Is placing /shoppingcart.asp and redirecting to my domain url sufficient or should I redirect those to each individual item page?

I am just really clueless when it comes to the whole redirect thing.
              You should edit the robots.txt file to exclude the shoppinngcart.asp pages from their search.

Comment

Working...
              X