Backend is extremely slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backend is extremely slow!

Our backend is very slow. When clicking a link it takes about a minute to load the page. It doesn't matter what link we click is takes too long to load.

Also on our front end it takes about 30 seconds for a page to load. This is too long. I called tech support and they claimed they were working on it and that over the following few hours this should get faster but that has not happened.

We switched from a cart that had these problems because it kills sales.

We have not changed our site for months so there is no difference in images or anything and page load times should not change.

What could be causing this?

call tech support and tell them. I experienced this more recently. Often times they can reset the database connection or feed the mice.

I eventually went to a different plan to help reduce the amount of stores that I was competing CPU cycles with. So far it is alot better.

Comment

Originally posted by doberer View Post
      call tech support and tell them. I experienced this more recently. Often times they can reset the database connection or feed the mice.

I eventually went to a different plan to help reduce the amount of stores that I was competing CPU cycles with. So far it is alot better.
      If you don't mind sharing, From which one to which one did you upgrade?

I'm thinking about maybe doing the same. My site has been struggling a lot lately. Considering the 200/month plan...

Thanks!
      Andres

Comment

So I guess I am not the only one. My site, both front end and back end has been extremely sluggish for the past few weeks. This morning was basically a hit or miss thing. It is still crawling! It is no different from being down. And to my surprise the on hold for tech support is 40 minutes or so. I just gave up. I was already going back and forth with tech support via email since 6AM this morning.

I am getting very disappointed with the website response time for the past few months. BTW, I occasionally use www.host-tracker.com to test response time and the result were horrendous for the past few weeks.

As a curiosity I now check those sites that were featured on 3dcart.com and they all had been stellar on the response time. I highly doubted they are all on the semi or dedicated server plan! This keeps me wondering.:mad:

Comment

You need to call tech support and see what they "see".

Typically the <$100/month plans have dozens of sites on one server (from what I understand). If you have a number of heavy hitters that will affect your site. Moving to a different plan, or server, will load balance things out.

I went from a $99/mo plan to the $199 plan. There was a plan in-between but I decided to take the leap and see what the "extra" amount would offer for speed and customer experience. I can also go back down.

So far it is significantly better. I have a baseline of stats using Google Webmaster that I will compare against over the next month or two.

Comment

The problem with upgrading is there is a limit. Apparently the scam at 3dcart is to over inflate bandwidth usage to force people to upgrade increasing revenue. See other threads on this and you can clearly see this is the goal of 3dcart in their responses. Now they have added in hosting to many stores on the same server so it forces more upgrades because the stores no longer load quickly which increases revenue for 3dcart but decreases revenue for their customers.

This is dishonest. If 3dcart was a group of honest people they would get rid of the bandwidth BS and lies about how much it costs and allow their customers to grow their businesses which in turn will force them to upgrade which increases revenue. Yes, some businesses may never upgrade but so what? They are the bread and butter.

The scam they are running will maybe increase short term revenue but will ultimately fail as they can't keep making more new plans. In addition smaller companies cannot afford $500 per month for the biggest plan just to have the exact same issues as the less expensive plans.

I have been with 3dcart for a year now and these problems have become worse over this past year. I have a second store I have been working on to get up on 3dcart but if this is how things are going to be I will start looking for a better cart where the company is honest and wants their customers to succeed and thrive which they know will mean long term revenue for them and increased revenue.

We never had bandwidth issues on other shopping carts and left only because of slow page load times and the supposed added features of 3dcart which are not in reality a plus because they use too much bandwidth.

There are way too many threads and posts about how the bandwidth and slow load times are an issue here and if you look at posts for years these were never a problem.

3dcart has found a way to cheat it's customers to increase it's revenue at the expense of those they rely on. They'll end up losing in the long run and they will deserve it.

I am already paying for the top small business plan and don't see any advantage to going for the next step up.

Every step up has the same results. The first couple of months bandwidth usage is under the max. but slowly climbs until month 3 when it goes over. This is a scam because there is no way this would happen unless 3dcart is forcing it to happen. We don't have enough increase in visitors to use 7 times more bandwidth than we need on our other site which has much more traffic and the exact same images and products.

3dcarts lack of taking action on this is also suspect in that they don't care.

Upgrading for me is also not an option because the next step up has hourly backups which I am sure 3dcart will charge against bandwidth usage.

It's too bad. This could be a good company with a bright future but judging from the posts and threads it is going to crash because of dishonesty and the scams they are running.

BTW, calling tech support about this is a waste of time. I did that as stated in my first post. I was put on hold for a while and when the person came back on the phone he claimed the admin was working on it and that over the next few hours I would see improved results. That has not happened. Things are worse today.

I am not against an honest company wanting to increase revenue. That is what a business is suppose to do but it should be done honestly and in a way that does no harm to your customers.

My 2 cents.

Comment

I fully understand this is shared hosting - meaning they can possibly have 100 website on one server or a virtual server. Upgrading to a different plan is a moot point. I had already moved up once due to bandwidth usage - don't know why bandwidth shot up so much in the past two months. Business didn't really go up much! The idea behind shared hosting is that the backend software is suppose to balance the load. If one server is heavily loaded some sites will be dynamically moved or more processing power added!

FYI, I have several other sites (all at different hosting provider) and they don't have this issue. Occasionally, they will be a little slow during prime time but it is understandable. However, this site is crawling throughout the day. I tried to call 3dcart support three times this morning at 30 min interval and the recorded message was the same: queue 6 and approximately 40 min wait time! I gave up all three times!

The site is acting this way: It is fast for 5 second and then you need to wait 20-30 second for a page to load. No it is not my connection. I checked with host-tracker.com and it is basically confirming what I am seeing.

In the past I was really happy with 3dcart - fast to fix problems and added features that I want. Lately, it is completely horrendous - my site is close to being unusable. Over the years I recommended many people to use 3dcart!

Comment

I'm not having problems with bandwidth, we have been pretty close for a couple months and that's it, never went over it.

The only why I'd switch to a higher plan is only to be able to share the server with fewer stores. That's it.

I think adding additional options for plans it's a nice option to have, I don't think we are quite ready for that yet, maybe in the future. Dedicated plans are still pretty expensive. I assume that by dedicated, it means only our store will be in that server.

We are having horrible downtimes today. I hope it gets solved quickly
                Andres

Comment

I modified the original template and pared it down, removing certain image sections and basically run a slim design. I never have had any bandwidth issues or get remotely close to going over. My entire reason for supersizing the plan was load and competing against CPU cycles. so far it is better but time will tell.

Comment

?? 386 Server

Logged off, logged on. Clear cookies & cache. Then headed to the forum. I believe we must be on the back up 386 server today. Changes not showing up-long page loads on back end. ???????

Comment

+1 on the slow backend. It's like molasses in January today; it's usually ok, but lately it seems to be getting slower.

Emails from the system have always been slow. It took around 45 minutes for a new order email to arrive the other day; hope it's not that slow for customers...
                      Last edited by Burnspot; 02-14-2011, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I will have to chime in here as well. I have been with 3dcart for several years and each year the load times and performance of the website get slower each year instead of improving while at the same time bandwidth usage increases without increase visitor traffic. The typical support response is, response time seems fine to us, send us a tracert. :rolleyes: All of our competitor websites load promptly. There are definate issues with the 3dcart website performance and we are seeking alternatives as well. While the SEO and other features of 3dcart are admirable, the slow performance of the website front and backend are leading us to look elsewhere. I am really sorry to say this, as we have essentially "grown up" with 3dcart as they evolved, but, they have just overloaded their resources to the point that the web services has suffered.
                        Last edited by Mark; 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          I will have to chime in here as well. I have been with 3dcart for several years and each year the load times and performance of the website get slower each year instead of improving while at the same time bandwidth usage increases without increase visitor traffic. The typical support response is, response time seems fine to us, send us a tracert. :rolleyes: All of our competitor websites load promptly. There are definate issues with the 3dcart website performance and we are seeking alternatives as well. While the SEO and other features of 3dcart are admirable, the slow performance of the website front and backend are leading us to look elsewhere. I am really sorry to say this, as we have essentially "grown up" with 3dcart as they evolved, but, they have just overloaded their resources to the point that the web services has suffered.
                          This is the same problem that most carts experience. Instead of adding new servers and expanding the network many cart companies just load up the servers to make more profit. When I started with Volusion 6 years ago our sites were lightning fast. 4 years later and 20k customers later my site was taking 3-5 seconds to load a page.

Someone had mentioned to me that they easily load 100+ stores on a server. I don't know how many are really loaded but if things slow down so much it might be a problem. There is no way to really tell so we have to believe what we are told. For $200 a month you can get a semi dedicated server plan which they claim has no more than 10 sites - How would be know if they loaded 30 or 40 sites? We don't know.

Comment

Regarding admin speed slowing down over time, it could be due to the size of the database. There is a few things that can be done, specially with stores that are several years old (archive orders, etc). If you have issues, report them, and someone will see what can be done.

Regarding server capacity, we monitor these things, and we try our best to keep things working good. We DONT want you to have a problem, we don't enjoy troubleshooting speed issues, they are extremely hard to troubleshoot.

Please don't make assumptions,

How would be know if they loaded 30 or 40 sites? We don't know.
                            we are not some sort of evil corporation that is trying to screw you. If you have a problem, report it to support, it's not some sort of crazy scheme, or some sort of scam we are trying to pull. Seriously guys, this is getting ridiculous.

If you feel support is not handling your requests adequately, shoot me an email, [email protected] and i will personally look into it.

Please review the board's posting rules here:

http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...ing-rules.html
                            ----------------------------
                            Gonzalo Gil
                            3dCart Support
                            800-828-6650 x111

Comment

"Regarding admin speed slowing down over time, it could be due to the size of the database. There is a few things that can be done, specially with stores that are several years old (archive orders, etc)."

This is definitely true and we have had to do this a few times. Our store is old (ver. 2.2) and every 8 months or so, we experience some sluggishness that improves with some database cleanup. Another thing to look at is the size of the livesupport database. Apparently having a large log here can affect performance as well. We just cleaned ours out and it seems to be helping some.

Comment

Working...
                              X