Deleting old products from site using product import/export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting old products from site using product import/export

I'm sure that I read in an older post that it's possible to delete a product using the import/export feature by changing the value of one of the columns to 0 (I think) and I can't find the post anymore :(

Does anyone know which column needs to be updated and what column(s) need to remain in the csv file to batch delete products from the cart? I need to delete a couple hundred products.

Any help is always appreciated. :D

Thanks!
    Andres

I use the following method to delete a group of products. Place all the products to be deleted into a new category (ex. 'delete') and make sure the category is hidden. Afterward delete the category and all the products that is in it will be deleted.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by spicetoy View Post
      I use the following method to delete a group of products. Place all the products to be deleted into a new category (ex. 'delete') and make sure the category is hidden. Afterward delete the category and all the products that is in it will be deleted.

Hope this helps.
      What happens if the products are in multiple categories? do they get deleted from those categories as well?
      Andres

Comment

Don't know if it works here but on our other site you can replace the name in the CSV file to DELETE and it does it. Try on one first.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
          Don't know if it works here but on our other site you can replace the name in the CSV file to DELETE and it does it. Try on one first.
          I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Update: I did, but it just renamed the product name to DELETE. Thanks anyways
          Last edited by andres.choi; 02-11-2011, 06:36 PM.
          Andres

Comment

Here are steps:

1. export the products from product > import/export
            2. under the category field replace all the products to be deleted with a new category, ex. 'delete'. You should create this category first and hide it so it won't appear on your web store.
            3. import the new modified product spreadsheet
            4. go to category menu and delete the category

Notice: all those products you wanted to delete will belong only to one category.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Delete with product import using minus sign (-)

The Product import now allows for entering a minus sign (-) in front of the catalogid column. Any item flagged with the negative catalogid will be deleted via the product import.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                The Product import now allows for entering a minus sign (-) in front of the catalogid column. Any item flagged with the negative catalogid will be deleted via the product import.
                Thank you!!!
                Andres

Comment

Originally posted by spicetoy View Post

Hope this helps.
                  I just wanted to come back and say that this saved me SO MUCH time. I have been adding products and categories using the import/export and whenever you mess up with a typo or anything it will add categories that you didn't want.

I then used the method listed above of assigned all of them to a fake "delete" category. Imported the update, and deleted the entire category.

Huge thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X