Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No AVS Messages? No help for the customer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No AVS Messages? No help for the customer?

I have been noticing a lot of abandoned carts with full customer information. I decided to call some of these customers and I have found some very upsetting information.

1. If the customer enters incorrect billing address there is ABSOLUTELY NO notification that there is an issue with the billing address. EVERY cart I have used always displayed an AVS message to the customer so that they can update the billing address and re-submit the order.

2. If the customer enters an incorrect zip code NO USPS SHIPPING OPTIONS get displayed. Instead of telling the customer that the ZIP Code is not in the USPS database it just removes the USPS options.

A few customers did not complete there order because the message just stated their card could not be charged and they gave up and purchased elsewhere. Two other customers also went elsewhere because they were buying light items and the postage page prior to checkout showed USPS at $3.81 and when they went to checkout only UPS Ground showed up because of the zip code error at over $10.

This is not acceptable from a cart that has been around so long.

I also just placed a test order and used an incorrect billing address and received this exact message:

Credit Card Error: Your Credit Card cannot be charged at this time. Please try again later or contact us for additional assistance.

I looked deeper into my unsettled transactions and I noticed these customers tried 2 to 5 times but without a message indicating what was wrong they did not change anything. Do I have my settings wrong somewhere or does 3D Cart not display these messages to the customer?

Comment

You can update the message to include a possible billing address error. Its under Settings > System Messages > #30.

I changed mine to say "There was a problem with your credit card. Please go back and verify the billing address. It must match the address on file with the bank. If you need further help, please contact your credit card company".

But I do agree, there should be a different message shown depending on the reason for the decline. Not just a generic "Oops" message.

Comment

Why is it not displaying error # 13 on an address verification fail?

"Your billing address does not match your credit card address, please correct this."

If the transaction fails for AVS it should be displaying the correct error not a general credit card error which does not help the customer.

Comment

As far as I know, there is no way for the system to know that a mis-matched AVS is the reason for a decline. It may see that the charge was declined, and that the AVS is a mis-match, but not that that was the reason. It could have been declined for any number of reasons, such as lack of funds, card on hold, incorrect expiration date, etc.

When Authorize.net transmits the CC details to the bank, it gets an Authorize/Not-Authorized, AVS Match/Mismatch response. The bank generally will not decline due to an AVS mismatch.

You can set up your Authorize.net account to reject charges with AVS mis-matches, however I do not believe that this reason for declination will be returned in the response.

I have personally designed a credit card charge system for our current website that uses the Authorize.net API, and I am 99% sure all they will tell you is that the charge is declined, not the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
            As far as I know, there is no way for the system to know that a mis-matched AVS is the reason for a decline. It may see that the charge was declined, and that the AVS is a mis-match, but not that that was the reason. It could have been declined for any number of reasons, such as lack of funds, card on hold, incorrect expiration date, etc.

When Authorize.net transmits the CC details to the bank, it gets an Authorize/Not-Authorized, AVS Match/Mismatch response. The bank generally will not decline due to an AVS mismatch.

You can set up your Authorize.net account to reject charges with AVS mis-matches, however I do not believe that this reason for declination will be returned in the response.

I have personally designed a credit card charge system for our current website that uses the Authorize.net API, and I am 99% sure all they will tell you is that the charge is declined, not the reason.
            This is not the case. We have moved from Volusion and when a card declined for AVS it displayed an AVS Message, If it declined for a general decline it stated the bank declined the transaction. When looking at Authorize.net response its shows the following:

Error: 2| 2| 27| The transaction has been declined because of an AVS mismatch. The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder.

If a cart failed for this error it should be displayed to the customer. If it failed for card code verification it should also be displayed. We don't want abandoned carts and if making the checkout clearer and easier for the customer it would result in increased sales.
            Last edited by tmilone103; 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Authorize.net does support multiple response codes which need to be utilized.

http://www.authorize.net/support/mer...eason_Text.htm

This will save lost orders due to customer confusion.

Comment

I too had a specific error come back on my prior cart. I tweaked the verbage, similar to the above suggestion, to have them call their bank or at the very least let us know. I also put in a footnote on the checkout page saying to call us if a shipping rate does not appear or if you have questions about the shipping charges.

Comment

System Message explanations?

has anybody found a list of exactly what triggers each system message? It seems self explanatory, but it would be great to know the triggers.

Comment

I placed an order for a customer today. Kept getting the message "invalid phone number." Tried with/without dashes, paragraph, etc. Message kept displaying. Finally, I figured out that I had not entered the phone number in the Shipping section. If I'd been a customer, I would have left the store after three tries. grrrr.

Where is the system message that will display a message "Phone number is not being accepted. If you have different billing/shipping addresses, please make sure that a phone number is entered with both billing and shipping addresses"
                    kem
                    AddressNumbers.com
                    Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Comment

Originally posted by kem View Post
                      I placed an order for a customer today. Kept getting the message "invalid phone number." Tried with/without dashes, paragraph, etc. Message kept displaying. Finally, I figured out that I had not entered the phone number in the Shipping section. If I'd been a customer, I would have left the store after three tries. grrrr.

Where is the system message that will display a message "Phone number is not being accepted. If you have different billing/shipping addresses, please make sure that a phone number is entered with both billing and shipping addresses"
                      Is there anyway to make the phone not required? Or at least not required for the shipping side? I do a lot of dropshipping and customers dont want to give a number, or may not have the number, and it causes problems.

Comment

I just tested on my site and used a bogus address and my card was accepted, and the AVS came back as a Z, ie no AVS match, but card was accepted.

I dont want orders with incorrect billing addresses to go through. Is there a setting inside the backend somewhere I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
                          I just tested on my site and used a bogus address and my card was accepted, and the AVS came back as a Z, ie no AVS match, but card was accepted.

I dont want orders with incorrect billing addresses to go through. Is there a setting inside the backend somewhere I am missing?
                          This is controlled with your Authorize.net settings but if you tighten it up you might loose alot of orders.

Comment

But my V site doesnt accept orders from incorrect billing addresses. Using the same auth.net account. I assumed there was a setting in here I was missing.

Comment

Oops, I stand corrected. Here are my settings:

http://galaxyairsoft.com/avs.gif

Are different settings recommended?

Comment

Working...
                              X