Tracking number issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking number issues

On the shipping notices emailed to the customer, it contains a clickable tracking number however, the url is going back to my site along with the tracking in the url (ie, mydomain.com/shiptracking.asp?trackno=9400110200793370102100. This is generating an error when I click the link, saying not enough information available.

Why is the customer being sent back to my site for tracking? How do I fix this?

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
    On the shipping notices emailed to the customer, it contains a clickable tracking number however, the url is going back to my site along with the tracking in the url (ie, mydomain.com/shiptracking.asp?trackno=9400110200793370102100. This is generating an error when I click the link, saying not enough information available.

That is because USPS has not updated it yet. Check again tonight and you will see details. I just updated my error message to state that if the item just shipped it can take up to 24 hours before tracking details will be available.

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post

The tracking is integrated into your site and personally I like that becuase it keeps them coming back.

I've seen that error come up when the information is new, and not showing any progress. The ones I've tested have had to wait 24hrs before they don't display an error.

What timeframe are you testing with?

Comment

Although I don't use the system generated shipping confirmation emails (we use the ones from our StoneEdge order processing), I see that we get the same error on our 3dCart generated ones even 5 days after the order has been shipped out. So something is definitely wrong with the way those links are set up.

To change the link, go to Settings > Design > Emails and then scroll down the list to the Order Emails and edit the ones for Shipped and Partially Shipped.

Comment

I tested the link as soon as I got the email and again moments ago and get the same error. I do like that customers are returned to the site, but I pay an extra fee to Endicia to be able to print an end of day report and have USPS scan it. Once scanned, the tracking numbers will instantly show scanned. I dont want to lose that and dont want to cause confusion for the customers.

How do we update that page? I will also put a note in the email about the 24 hour rule.

Here's the current error:

The tracking system returned the following error : Not enough information provided . Also, the "click here to continue" button under that error does not work.

I can see anxious customers emailing us asking where their orders are after seeing that error.

Comment

I just tried with an older tracking number, one from the 18th and got a different error:

The tracking number is invalid. After the package is shipped, it can take up to 24 hours for the tracking number to be posted to your account.

This issue is going to bug me.

Also, the click to continue button doesnt work because its set up to go back one page however, the page is a new page that opens when you click the link in the email.

How would I update that link to go to the home page?

Comment

I am also getting this error with the non functioning button.

Tracking Error
              The tracking system returned the following error : Not enough information provided

Package was delivered and signed for on 3/28 -- so it should be showing up??

I am using custom shipping methods-- a flat rate based on sales total. How does the system know "WHICH' method was used -- fed ex, ups, usps? Wont it need to know that information in order to provide accurate tracking status?
              Last edited by 3dcristywisty; 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Called tech support on this as well... apparently I was right in my assumption that with custom shipping methods they dont know which shipping company was used (ups/fedex/usps) so you just get an error.

I figured a work around for it though... time consuming, but anything to get rid of the error!

Comment

Can I ask what you did?

I played around with this last night and see how to totally take out the tracking number, but I'd prefer to include it - just not have it link to the error page.

Comment

Using direct tracking code information, I modified the shipping template for just USPS then I used the custom email templates and made one template for FEDEX and one template for UPS.

Then when I ship an item, I just pick the template based on the right shipping method, enter the tracking number, mark the notify box and "save". Then when the tracking number is clicked by the buyer it opens the tracking information in the website corresponding to the proper shipping method. I would have liked to have sent people back to my website to obtain tracking information, but that was going to be a bit more work to setting up inframe so I opt'ed for this ... for now.

If you have auto email set up for reviews, you will likley need to move them from the custom email templates folder and back to the main shipping folder so they will get sent the review email. Just dont mark the notify box and the buyer should be none the wiser ;)

It would be nice if 3d cart was updated with a check box (like the notify) for each of the 3 main shippers. Then it would be a matter of clicking the right shipping method and the corresponding email template would be sent. As I said in my original post... it is a bit more time consuming -- but it is better than the error.

Comment

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

When I add tracking info, it inserts a link up in the first paragraph as well. I didn't spend too much time tracking it down, but I suspect that will need to come out as well.

Comment

Yes. I only have the link showing under the Shipping Method.

Comment

We aren't set to go live until after Easter so I have some time to play with it. I'll keep hoping for an update, though. :)

Comment

Checnage the working on the usps tracking error page

Can anyone tell me where I can go to change the wording on the error my customers get. I changed it on the emails for them to wait 24 hours, but I would also like to change it on this error page.

Thank you very much.

Damien
                            Welcome to TungstenFashions - We offer the best priced tungsten wedding bands and tungsten rings online

Comment

You can edit the error page message here:
                              Settings>design>system messages

and you can edit the actual tracking pages here. There would be 3 separate pages for FedEx, UPS and USPS. You can enter company specific instructions on each page.
                              Settings>design>template editor

Also, the 3dcart tracking works just fine contrary to the posts above and it does recognize the shipping company from the tracking number. The trick is that the shipping company credentials have to be set up in
                              Settings > Shipping > Shipping settings

You have to enter your credentials for each company that will allow the system to pull rates on-line.

Comment

Working...
                              X