Facebook "Like" Button Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook "Like" Button Gone

Just noticed that our Facebook "Like" button is gone from our site (product pages, category pages, any other place we have it). The code we're using is

Code:
    <!--START: frame_likebutton-->
    		          <td class="page_headers">[frame_likebutton] <br>
    <!--END: frame_likebutton-->
    And here's the actual script that's in the "frame_likebutton" setting in Store Language:

Code:
    <script> document.write('<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href='); document.write(window.location); document.write('&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=180&action=like&font&colorscheme=light&height=20" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:180px;; height:40px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>'); </script>
    Is anyone else having problems with their Like button displaying?
    Last edited by piaf; 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM.

Hm. Ours hasn't changed. Have you tried reverting to a previous template for one of the places where it is missing?
    Laura Z
    Brass & Silver Traditions
    www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

See, that's the strange thing....I haven't made any template changes, so I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it.

Comment

I checked your site and see the FB button on all product/category pages I looked at. Its even on the home page in the footer.

Comment

OH WOW!!! Very strange! Ok, here's what's going on with it....

Facebook made some changes so that if you have a Personal Facebook page with a Business page created as a *sub-page* off your personal page, you can now switch to your *business page alter-ego persona* and "like" other business pages under that business alter-ego persona. So that's what I had been doing, I was switched over to that business persona.

However, while using that business persona, I looked at my store web site and that's when all the "Like" buttons disappeared. But when I went back to Facebook and switched back to my regular self persona, and then went to look at my store site, I could see all the "Like" buttons again. So it has something to do with being switched into that business page persona. I wonder if it does that on all web sites that have "Like" buttons or if it only happens when you are viewing your own site? Hmmm, more testing required.... but thanks rburton for the help checking my pages, otherwise I would have been completely stumped. :)

Comment

Crazy! Ours does the same thing. When any of our Facebook page admins switch to using FB as the business page, the buttons vanish. As soon as they switch back to their personal profile, refresh the page on our site, and BAM - the buttons have returned.
            Laura Z

Comment

Hi all,

I'll admit this one had me stumped because of the sheer weirdness of it all. The "Like" button on your stores is a simple script that let's anyone log into their Facebook profile and "like" your product. It's not directly tied to the store owner's Facebook profile at all, so why would it matter whether they've switched to a Fan page or not?

That's when it dawned on me...

When you're logged into your Facebook profile, a cookie is usually set on your browser to keep you logged into FB. This way if you click on a Facebook function somewhere else, you don't have to go through the hassle of signing in again, etc etc. Now, keep in mind that the scripting for the Facebook "like" button is tailored specifically for Facebook Profile use.

When you "Switch" your Profile over to using the "Use Facebook as Page" option, you're not actually logged into a profile anymore. Therefore, the Facebook "Like" button no longer applies to your particular situation when you go to view your store, and simply doesn't display for your specific browser session.

In other words, you're logged into Facebook, but you're not a "profile" anymore. Since the Facebook like button only applies to profile users, it doesn't come up. So basically, it's only your browser not seeing the Like button at that particular moment. Rest assured that your like buttons are still there for everyone else, however. :)

To confirm, try the following test.

Then look at a product on your store - The "Like" button is gone, right?

Now, open up a different browser altogether (IE, instead of Firefox, or vice/versa) and view the same product page. As long as you're not logged into Facebook on that second browser, you should be seeing your "like" buttons just like everyone else.

Hope this helps explain the mystery! :)

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Henry. That makes sense, but it does bring up another question. This means, I assume, that only people with Facebook accounts, who are logged into Facebook on the same browser they are using to view our store will see the like button? From a design perspective that changes things for us. The current placement of our like button leaves a blank space that is too large when the button is gone. I guess we will play around with the button placement to see if we can minimize that.
                Laura Z

Comment

This means, I assume, that only people with Facebook accounts, who are logged into Facebook on the same browser they are using to view our store will see the like button?
                  Not at all. If they do not have, or are not logged into their Facebook accounts, they'll still see the like button. However, they'll be redirected to a Facebook login page to either log in, or register for a profile before they can complete the "Like" process.

This disappearing act only seems to apply to people who are actively logged into their profile - but also switched over to their business page while viewing your site.

Frankly, it's a very specific set of circumstances that likely won't occur too often for the average online shopper. So you may not need to change anything on your site just yet.

However, if you feel the potential is great enough to affect your site's overall aesthetics, then yes, you may need to consider some design elements. I just honestly don't see happening that often.

Comment

That is just bizarre! If it only happens in that one situation then it isn't a problem. We will just follow up and make sure it isn't happening in other situations, but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again!
                    Laura Z

Comment

Working...
                    X