Create an account or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create an account or not

I have my cart here set up so people can checkout without creating an account (ie, no password is required to checkout). The cart I left has issues with this where there would be multiple email addresses in the system because the user did not create an account but made multiple purchases. Also, users would not create an account then get upset when they couldn't log in and check their order.

Is it better to force users to create a password to check out or allow them to check out without a password?

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
    I have my cart here set up so people can checkout without creating an account (ie, no password is required to checkout). The cart I left has issues with this where there would be multiple email addresses in the system because the user did not create an account but made multiple purchases. Also, users would not create an account then get upset when they couldn't log in and check their order.

Is it better to force users to create a password to check out or allow them to check out without a password?
    I forced the password. I had too many issues without the setting in the past with folks creating accounts after the fact thinking they were going to be able to log in and see their order history causing multiple duplicate customer accounts and then ending up calling for help.

Comment

Originally posted by tmilone103 View Post
      I forced the password. I had too many issues without the setting in the past with folks creating accounts after the fact thinking they were going to be able to log in and see their order history causing multiple duplicate customer accounts and then ending up calling for help.
      Thats what I'm thinking, based on the issues with Volusion, but am concerned it will turn users off and they will leave the checkout page after getting an error telling them to create a password.

Comment

We make customers create accounts. It's especially important if you ever plan on doing the rewards program in your store. Otherwise, you've got a gazillion different customers on your system with reward points scattered throughout a bunch of different "accounts". Pain in the rump if you know what I mean...

Comment

Depends On Your Business.

Business model and type of customers.

If you lose a few customers who hate signing up but gain it back from repeat (or bigger) purchases due customers having an account (whether it be list marketing or better customer service), why not?

But it is a one time kind of item or impulse purchase, then vice versa applies.
          Last edited by widgets; 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piaf View Post
            We make customers create accounts. It's especially important if you ever plan on doing the rewards program in your store. Otherwise, you've got a gazillion different customers on your system with reward points scattered throughout a bunch of different "accounts".
            Piaf, Would please clarify this. I thought if they did not create an account, then there would be no account for them, hence no rewards.
            I could not find a place to manage rewards given, so they would only be associated with customers that created an account. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Maybe I'm confused then. I thought everyone got rewards, and if that was the case, then people should need to log in to keep it all straight. But if they don't get rewards if they don't have an account, then that works too. Although, knowing MY customers, they'd be complaining if they didn't get their rewards, so I just make everyone create an account. :)

Comment

Working...
              X