Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is our store emails considered SPAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is our store emails considered SPAM?

Just wondering how we can keep our store generated emails from being interpreted as SPAM? Many of our customers don't receive our emails since they get treated as SPAM. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening?
    A lot of folks don't know to check their "Junk" folders or SPAM settings. :confused:

Originally posted by Mark View Post
    Just wondering how we can keep our store generated emails from being interpreted as SPAM? Many of our customers don't receive our emails since they get treated as SPAM. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening?
    A lot of folks don't know to check their "Junk" folders or SPAM settings. :confused:
    When I hosted clients how I remember these battles (whitelist)
    Anyway the newsletter folks say that due to subject line and badly formatted html.
    This tip may help:
    Get a new yahoo account and send your test newsletters to that account. And don't ever mark anything as spam or not that way you will get a true general reading.
    Clayton
    Go Live Industries

Comment

Thanks.
      But, we don't send newsletters. I am talking about critical order confirmation and status emails. These are often captured by SPAM filters!

Comment

1. Go to the PC that use to send the email. Then find the public IP address given to you by your ISP. Go here for a quick and easy way: http://www.whatismyip.com/
        2.Copy/paste the IP from step one here:
        http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

That should tell you if and why you are on a spam blacklist. Bear in mind that sneezing too loud can get you on a blacklist.

For instance, we had an issue with our Comcast business account. We were added to a blacklist because we sent mail using our smtp servers via Comcast's bandwidth. Since the sending and source IP's didn't match, we were summarily added to a blacklist resulting in a similar situation to what you described. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks.
          But, we don't send newsletters. I am talking about critical order confirmation and status emails. These are often captured by SPAM filters!
          That's not good since 3dcart says that we all have our own IP numbers. So it can't be due to some fool on your server. You have been around awhile. Did you inherit new IP numbers that are tagged as spam? If so time to request a new set should the problem continue.
          For sure find out what service has you tagged as spam and get yourself whitelisted.
          Clayton
          Go Live Industries

Comment

I read an article about email marketing and it said using "$" in the subject line will peridocally make the email count as spam. Not sure how true this is.... :confused:

We send out ALOT of mass emails. Im kind of worried we will get on a spam black list but it hasn't happened so far. If you are put on a "spam blacklist," what exactly happens? Will I ever be able to use this particular screenname again?
            Matthew
            MINUTEMAN PRESS Since 1986
            www.printing-delray-beach.com

Comment

Sorry I can't get this communicated correctly, but, it has nothing to do with PCs or IP addresses. On our cart, when a customer places an order, a confirmation email is automatically sent to the customer that their order has been received. Once their order is processed, the cart also issues an email indicating the status of their order (ie: shipped, cancelled, on hold, etc). These emails are generated in the cart software and are sent from 3dcart smtp servers. The servers are not necessarily "blacklisted" (although, this has happened in the past) but the client email program are interpreting these order status and confirmation emails as SPAM on the clients email account. Is it because of the source email account name (ie: [email protected]) or the content that is likely to be causing this and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Quite often, our customers call us because they never received an email confirmation or ask for tracking info because they never recevied the shipping completed email, etc. If we ask to look in their SPAM or Junk email folder, they are able to find the emails. This is not good! :mad:

Comment

Try changing [email protected] to [email protected] or [email protected]

Sales could be the culprit.

Comment

Not
                  We use [email protected] and have no problems.
                  We do get alot of people that incorrectly input a bad email address and we see these bounce back.
                  If this was a server spam service there would be a reason attached. Now here is the uncontrollable and frustrating part. A person should not use a self taught spam filter if they do not know how to use one. If this is the case there is nothing you can do.

I have had upset clients that state that they can not send email to a daily contact and want me to fix this. The problem was a spam software on the receiving mail server. The receiving end uses this filter but does not know how to whitelist the emails that get blocked. And my clients are mad at me. I tell them that if the shoe was on the other foot I would whitelist that domain email in 2 minutes.

Very frustrating but we can not fix the whole world without hacking into the receiving mail client or server.

What type of additional promo text are you using in these emails that your not telling us about you sly dog.

Sorry I could not be of much help.
                  Clayton
                  Go Live Industries

Comment

Hi Mark

Seems the horse is dead and my foot is getting sore. So till something more concrete develops I'd like to share some useful info that pertains somewhat to this thread title.

In an effort to not get tagged as spam we put a couple of links at the bottom of our newsletters
                    • Click Here to Unsubscribe
                    • Report as Spam

On the report as spam link we have a page that expresses our concern and offers our apology and states that our webmaster will be retrained for behavior issues and that we never share your email with any 3rd parties.
                    Please enter your email here to be immediately removed from the newsletter list.

The other link goes to an identical page without all the extra fun text.

Our hope is that the need to report can be diminished by this light call to action and keep us off the ISP list.

Enjoy.....
                    Clayton
                    Go Live Industries

Comment

I thought with 3dCart you can use select your smtp server. This way if 3dcart's mail server is on any spam/black lists you can get off them.

Per the CanSPAM act you should always have an unsubscribe link in your mass e-mails. Its also a good way to prevent people from using the spam button as an effective unsubscribe method.

Using a 3rd party program for sending e-mails is a great way to increase deliverability such as Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, etc. I use Constant Contact. This way if your e-mail is labeled as Spam, you don't get on a black list for that ISP/E-Mail provider due to the relations the 3rd party e-mail mass sender provider has with the ISP/E-Mail Service.

Sometimes E-Mails just get labeled as SPAM and as mentioned, people do put in the wrong E-Mail address. They forget the @, or @gtail.com, hotnail.com, etc.

Comment

I give up.
                        I was asking about store generated emails.
                        Nevermind.
                        Thanks for unrelated input, but, I suppose there is nothing that can be done.
                        I just guess that any emails that say "sales" order" processing" or "shipped" seeem to get deemed SPAM by filters. Not sure why the filters use this logic, but, we are stuck and will have to live with it. :(

Comment

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=238

This assumes your using the 3dcart mail server for your outgoing mails. I assume this would include your store generated e-mail messages. Changing to your own isp's should help in reducing the amount of your e-mails labeled as sapm.

Comment

I give up.
                            I was asking about store generated emails.
                            Nevermind.
                            Thanks for unrelated input, but, I suppose there is nothing that can be done.
                            I just guess that any emails that say "sales" order" processing" or "shipped" seeem to get deemed SPAM by filters. Not sure why the filters use this logic, but, we are stuck and will have to live with it. :(
                            I too have this issue from time to time...only on store sent emails (from 3dcart). I use google hosting for my email that we send from our domain. if anything I wish there was a setting to ALWAYS use our hosted gmail server for store emails too. More reliable and I can trace down emails to see what has been sent from the store too. I would imagine that 3dcart could implement an interface, like outlook has, to allow the necessary authentication, port, SSL, etc

Comment

We are experiencing the same problem too. The 3dcart generated emails are delivered into customers' junk folder and our spam folder as well. A few of those email examples are below:

1) New Order - Merchant
                              2) New Order - Customer
                              3) Processing
                              4) Shipped

Anyone has solutions on these? Or we'll just manually send them ourselves?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X