Error 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error 28

Two days live and here is an issue I am seeing over and over. People add an item to their cart and there is insufficient quantities. They receive error #28, saying the item is not available in the options selected.

What they dont realize is the quantity we do have was actually added to the cart. I updated the message with a link to the cart page but there is a large "Click here to continue" button that takes them back one page, obviously the item page, where they again try to add the item and again get an error message.

Is there any way to change it so that particular click to continue button takes the user to the view cart page so they can see the items was in fact added??

Do you have your settings set up to allow backorders?

Comment

No because most items are imported directly from China and could take 60+ days to arrive.

This is actually a big issue. If a customer tries to add 12 widgets to their cart but we only have 8, they are getting a big "out of stock" error instead of going to the cart. They are not realizing that 8 widgets were added to their cart. They are told the item is not available and are leaving the site.

If they add more than available, they should be taken to the cart to see that the available items were added and see a message explaining the stock issue to them.

This is causing a tremendous amount of abandoned carts. I can see the trend when I review uncompleted orders.

I cant believe no one has ever brought this up before. If a customer adds anything to their cart they should be taken to the cart page regardless of whether there is enough stock, not taken to a page with an error that scares them away.

This needs fixed asap. At the very least the "click here to continue" needs to be changed to take people to the view cart page.

Comment

You're going to have to choose.... either you DO allow backorders or you DON'T. I don't think you can have both at the same time as the "master" rule for the store.

You might be able to get away with it by setting your store to allow backorders and then manually checking the "Not For Sale" box on the products that you don't want backordered and then un-checking that box when you get them back in stock. But I don't think you can have the store automatically set some items to allow backorders and others not. You'll have to manually modify those products that don't.

Comment

This isnt about backorders, its about users trying to add more than the quantity available to their cart and receiving an out of stock message when the item is not out of stock.

I went to your site and added 6 pcs of an item that you only have 5 available. I get the following message:

Out Of Stock: The item "Earth, Air, Fire, Water Pendant, Sterling Silver" could not be added to your order. It's not currently available in the quantity you selected.

Instead of that error, the user should be taken to the cart page with the 5 available pendants added to the cart. By getting that "Out of Stock" error, users are going to think its not available and move on and a sale is lost.

I am getting emails from people asking when in stock items are going to be back in stock because they are adding more than we have and being told its out of stock.

Why are they not taken to the cart page with the available amount added to their cart?

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
            Instead of that error, the user should be taken to the cart page with the 5 available pendants added to the cart. By getting that "Out of Stock" error, users are going to think its not available and move on and a sale is lost.
            I've seen a couple of abandoned carts with this error message but didn't know what caused it.

I agree that process you suggest would be a much better one.

Comment

Ok, I see what you're saying. But my question is... if it says there's 5 available on your website, why would they add 6 to the cart?

And another point, if they do it your way, then they indicate they want 6, but only 5 are added to the cart, then they complain because they KNOW they ordered 6, but they only received 5. It's a no-win situation no matter how you look at it.

Comment

The Backorder setup in 3dcart is just bad for busines.
                1. If You Allow Backorders:
                If a customer orders more than what is available, it is added to their cart without letting them know that it is on back order. They are completely in the dark, and are angry when they do not receive the items they ordered right away.
                2. If you do not allow back orders
                If the customer orders more than what it is available they get "Item not available" and most probably they will just go elsewehre.

This is not a complicated concept and all carts from simple to advanced can handle back orders pretty well. A simple pop-up informs the customer that they ordered xxx and only yyy is available, would they like to add yyy to their order (if b/o is not allowed)? or add XXX and have (xxx-yyy) be on back order (if back orders are allowed)??

This is very simple to program and I don't know why 3dcart is not taking care of this simple but frustrating problem.
                Last edited by elightbox; 03-07-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
                  This isnt about backorders, its about users trying to add more than the quantity available to their cart and receiving an out of stock message when the item is not out of stock.
                  Did you ever get this resolved? I came across your post while looking for something on backorders. I didn't even know this error was happening - we're less than two months with 3D Cart. I asked tech support if there was a way to change this message. There is. Go to Settings>Design>System Messages and it's message 28. I changed it to match the language of msg 22 that says Low Stock Level, The quantity requested is higher than the current stock of the product. Try introducing a lower quantity.

I think this is a LOT better than an error message saying out of stock on an item that really is in-stock.

Nancy

Comment

Working...
                  X