Poor Checkout Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Checkout Design

I have been having customers complain about shipping rates and also had US customers calculated at international rates and its because when people type their address they follow the normal procedure of City, State, ZIP and usually hit tab after each field.

3D's checkout page is the the following order:

First Name
    Last Name
    Company
    Phone
    Address
    Suite / Apt #
    City
    Country
    State
    Zip
    Email

I just had a customer in VA checkout and after City he hit tab and ended up putting VA in the country box without noticing. This calculated international rates and instead of getting free shipping it was $30+

I edited the <TD></TD> for the country field and moved it below zip and this should solve this problem in the future. This could also be a cause for some lost orders when customers were expecting free shipping but ended up with high shipping rates as their choice.

I agree with tmilone103 on this one - I will also be making this change. Actually, I myself made this same mistake (putting "state" info in the "country" info section) while placing a test order!!!
    As a side note, I think the "Phone" field should be placed closer to the bottom, such as:

First Name
    Last Name
    Company
    Address 1
    Address 2
    Suite / Apt #
    City
    State
    Zip
    Country
    Phone
    Email

Just my opinion, and as a webhost/merchant, each person has to decide the best placement for info input based on their own needs.

Comment

Good ideas. Do you have to change the form validator code as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Good ideas. Do you have to change the form validator code as well?
        All I did was Move the field and left everything else alone and I have had no issues with anyone checking out after the column move.

Comment

Are you editing "checkout-singlepage.html" or "1page_checkout.html"?

I think "checkout-singlepage.html" is the correct file for "one-page-checkout", but then where the heck is "1page_checkout.html" used? :eek:

thanks, mimi

Comment

We use the multi-page checkout and we also rearranged the fields so that it flowed properly. No more AFghanistan addresses anymore.

Comment

Afghanistan as the selected country

Originally posted by piaf View Post
              We use the multi-page checkout and we also rearranged the fields so that it flowed properly. No more AFghanistan addresses anymore.
              Were your customers having an issue with the country selection being set to Afghanistan when they didn't mean for it to be? We've had a number of complaints about this, and I don't know the details about what exactly the customers experienced. If it's the same issue, could you explain to me what was happening please? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bannertherapy View Post
                Were your customers having an issue with the country selection being set to Afghanistan when they didn't mean for it to be?
                Yes, but we have no idea what exactly was causing the problem. Once we put the COUNTRY field below the City, State and Zip fields on the Billing information page and on the shipping address page, the issue went away.

Comment

Continued to have problems with this after reverting back to a non-modified checkout template. We submitted the problem to Support and they were able to figure it out. Issue has been resolved (at least for us, it has been). The problem is that we imported our customer base from a previous cart, and that old cart stored the "country" field different than the way 3dCart stores do. If you download your customer database excel file, you'll find entries where the Country (both billing and shipping) are saved as "United States". THAT'S WRONG. You need to change those "United States" entries to "US" and then save the file and upload it back to your store. This will eliminate your Afghanistan problem. A prior customer will log into their account, their country will match the data required for 3dCart stores and all will be right in your ecommerce world. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X