Categories & promotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categories & promotions

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to exclude categores from a promotion I'm wondering how other shop-owners have done this?

Basically the shop is going to be having a sale. All of the items that are going to be in the sale are in a special category "bargain bin".

There are numerous promotion coupons that we DON'T want to apply to this bargain bin category because the discounts are going to be deep enough.

The fact that this feature isn't standard is very surprising but I guess that's a topic for feature requests..

It is kind of a pain, but we use hidden categories to do this. If everything in our store except green widgets is on sale, we add all of those items to "sale category1" which is hidden. You then put "sale category1" on as the eligible category on the promotion.

THe downside is if you do a lot of them, you get a lot of hidden categories which could be a mess.

HTH,

DaveW

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
      It is kind of a pain, but we use hidden categories to do this. If everything in our store except green widgets is on sale, we add all of those items to "sale category1" which is hidden. You then put "sale category1" on as the eligible category on the promotion.

THe downside is if you do a lot of them, you get a lot of hidden categories which could be a mess.
      I don't think that's what the goal is but I may not be understanding your solution.

Scenario:
      • Store has 700 products
      • Store has 15 coupon promotions that are ongoing and apply to all categories and products
      • Store has 20 items in "Bargain Bin" category that are on sale
      • Existing 15 coupons can not apply to Bargain Bin Items

:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution View Post
        I don't think that's what the goal is but I may not be understanding your solution.

Scenario:
        • Store has 700 products
        • Store has 15 coupon promotions that are ongoing and apply to all categories and products
        • Store has 20 items in "Bargain Bin" category that are on sale
        • Existing 15 coupons can not apply to Bargain Bin Items

:confused:
        You will have to edit the existing coupons, but I think it will work.

1) Create a category called "Bargain Bin Exempt" Make it hidden.
        2) Add this category to all items except the 20 Bargain Bin ones. Add to the category, don't move them, that will make a mess (don't ask how I know :))
        3) Edit coupons to only apply to items in "Bargain Bin Exempt" category. You can put more than one category on a coupon.

When you take something off sale or out of the bargain bin, add "Bargain Bin Exempt" to the category list for that product.

When you move something to the bargain bin, remove the "bargain bin exempt" category. Make sure you put "bargain bin exempt" as one of the categories on all new products.

I think this will do what you want. It is not as slick as exempting a category, but should work.

HTH,

DaveW

Comment

We accomplish this by working it backwards. We have a group of products to which no other discounts apply. So, for all of our other promotions, we go in and list all categories except our Factory Seconds in the promotion section
          "Applies if Products from these Categories are in the basket:" That works for us, but it really not ideal. It seems obvious that promotions should work the other way around, where you can have the promo apply to all categories EXCEPT the ones we choose to exclude. Anyway, this method is cumbersome, but it is functional.
          Laura Z
          Brass & Silver Traditions
          www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

I actually may have found a simpler solution to the problem.

Since everything in the Bargain Bin will be discounted, I can put them "On Sale" for the discounted price.

Then, in my Promotion Manager if I select Excluded Items = Qty Discount & On Sale it will not apply the coupon. Instead it displays a message that it can't be applied to that category so I may just need to tweak the message to be more generic.

On the surface that seems like a more direct route.

Comment

Evolution does that work, have you had a chance to test it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by kaeldaven View Post
                Evolution does that work, have you had a chance to test it yet?
                Yes it did. They just ran a 3-day sale and promotions were not an issue on any of the On Sale items.

:)

Comment

Working...
                X