301 Redirect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 Redirect

I was wondering if someone could help me out and show me how setup a 301 redirect. I know 3dcart has a 301 feature built in, but it only allows for redirects within the same domain. For example, say I want to redirect www.widgets.com/links.html to www.differentDomain.com/products.html

anyone have any ideas? I know we cannot use .htaccess and am kind of at a loss here.

You can redirect to anything you want. If you send it to an invalid link it just causes an error in the browser. The redirect is meant to tell the engines where the new link is at without waiting for all the crawls to happen and take effect.
    David
    David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

but how do I set it up here? i tried the .htaccess file, but i guess its not used for that here.

thanks

Comment

The redirects get put here.
        Settings>General>Redirects
        Select the Import/Export button.
        Download the sample so you have the fields.

Use an import it is easier. You put the old url in the "old field" and the new url in the "new field".

Ex: www.joeshmoe.com/servlet/storefront as in ProStores dumb url's goes in the "old" field.
        www.joeshmoe.com goes in the "new" field.
        You have to do this with ALL url's pointing to the old site.

What you need to make your life easier.
        Google file feed from the old and new site. This gets a good chunk but not all. Google does not list items across multiple categories.

Sitemap from both sites. This gets most of everything because you get it all.

For items and categories that do not exist in the new store you can default point them to the home page of the web site. The point is to get people to the right site.

Private message me an email address to use and I can send you a file or two with some links in it so you can see what it looks like. You need to use Excel or something similar to do it and it takes time to do it right.
        David
        David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Originally posted by InsnWizard View Post
          The redirects get put here.
          Settings>General>Redirects
          Select the Import/Export button.
          Download the sample so you have the fields.

Use an import it is easier. You put the old url in the "old field" and the new url in the "new field".

Ex: www.joeshmoe.com/servlet/storefront as in ProStores dumb url's goes in the "old" field.
          www.joeshmoe.com goes in the "new" field.
          You have to do this with ALL url's pointing to the old site.

What you need to make your life easier.
          Google file feed from the old and new site. This gets a good chunk but not all. Google does not list items across multiple categories.

Sitemap from both sites. This gets most of everything because you get it all.

For items and categories that do not exist in the new store you can default point them to the home page of the web site. The point is to get people to the right site.

Private message me an email address to use and I can send you a file or two with some links in it so you can see what it looks like. You need to use Excel or something similar to do it and it takes time to do it right.

But the thing built into 3dcart only lets you do it within your own domain. Do you know how to do it to an external domain

Comment

Your trying to do an outbound redirect?
            For?
            David
            David's Gifts and Things

Comment

exactly, an outbound redirect.

and this is for seo purposes..

Comment

Originally posted by guod View Post
                You will not be able to do this on the destination domain. It just does not make sense. Because if someone types Widgets.com that is where they will go. You have to set up the redirects on Widget.com not on differentDomain.com

Typical redirects are within the same domain. For what you want you will need some re-write engine on the first domain that can replace the old domain with the new domain while keeping the remainder of the string after the /

Comment

Working...
                X