Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flagging an item as "local pickup only"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagging an item as "local pickup only"?

We have many items in our catalog that we can only sell to walk-in customers and cannot ship. Is there any way to flag items so that they will only be purchasable with a local pickup shipping method?

This is what you need to get started. I am looking at breaking up individual products right now.

You must use a custom shipping method.

Info "custom - by zip" is at the bottom of the link. Hope this helps.

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=348

Comment

That is basically how you create a local pickup shipping method, but not how I assign specific products to be local pickup only. If you figure that out, please let me know! :)

Comment

Working on it right now:D

Comment

Do you use a "free shipping" promotion on any other products (now or ever)?

Comment

Our policy is free shipping on all orders over $75 (within the USA)

Comment

Another real quick question. I need just an estimation. What is the heaviest order you have ever SHIPPED? I know they are kind of odd questions, but its all in part to getting a resolution

Comment

Our typical shipping package is 2-5lbs but we ship stuff that is over 40lbs once in a while.

Comment

Then I should have a fix for you in just a few minutes:D

Comment

Here is my workaround suggestion.

1. If you haven't already - make a category for the local pickup items specifying that these items are for local pickup only and cannot be shipped with any other items to clarify it to the customer.

3. On each product page add to title if possible (Local Pickup Only) so that it would show that in the cart if a customer adds it thinking it could be shipped after ignoring any other messages on the product page.

2. On the products that are local pickup only specify the weight as something that would never be attained by a normal order (e.g. 500lbs)

3. add shipping method "custom - by weight"

4. add range starting at 500lbs and ending at some astronomical number

5. change name of method to "Local Pickup Only"

6. Click save and test

I quick tested this work around and it worked with the item. Let me know if this helps.

-->It also wouldn't hurt to put a couple of "tool tips" for additional clarification for your customers.<--
                    Last edited by GlowExpress; 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GlowExpress View Post
                      Here is my workaround suggestion.

1. If you haven't already - make a category for the local pickup items specifying that these items are for local pickup only and cannot be shipped with any other items to clarify it to the customer.

3. On each product page add to title if possible (Local Pickup Only) so that it would show that in the cart if a customer adds it thinking it could be shipped after ignoring any other messages on the product page.

2. On the products that are local pickup only specify the weight as something that would never be attained by a normal order (e.g. 500lbs)

3. add shipping method "custom - by weight"

4. add range starting at 500lbs and ending at some astronomical number

5. change name of method to "Local Pickup Only"

6. Click save and test

I quick tested this work around and it worked with the item. Let me know if this helps.

-->It also wouldn't hurt to put a couple of "tool tips" for additional clarification for your customers.<--
                      I sure wish there was a way to "bookmark" helpful posts here in the forums for possible future use. I'd bookmark GlowExpress' post above if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by piaf View Post
                        I sure wish there was a way to "bookmark" helpful posts here in the forums for possible future use. I'd bookmark GlowExpress' post above if I could.
                        You can't bookmark posts, but you can bookmark entire threads (basically the "subscribe" feature)

Comment

Although it's not the same, I guess that'll have to do. Plus, you're automatically subscribed to a thread if you reply to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X