I need help......PLEAAAAAAAASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help......PLEAAAAAAAASE

I am fairly new to 3dcart. For a couple of months I have only ran with under 300 items - I upload individually.....wanted to get the feel for it. So I recently upload my full inventory 2000+ items. The problem I have in the master product list, is in the short description column and extended description is ( tags and html) such as <ul> and &#38 as examples some don't have <>....
    I can not get 3dcart to read these codes as written...they all come out as PLAIN TXT. My main problem is ....I obvisouly know just enough to be dangerous. I can NOT go through each item cleaning this up. The source of the master list has many resellers using it and it does fine.....( TECH told me the file was corrupt ) They took a item from the master list and it worked fine....
    I think it is how I am saving the file in excel 2000. So I downloaded office.org ?? to use newer software.....same problem.
    Can someone simply tell me the simple basics to saving a .csv and xls.....because when I go to save it...I get a message telling me ......csv file may contain features not compatible with csv. I think this is a source of one of my problems. Also, when I see the descriptions on the suppliers website site....it shows up as intended. So somewhere in opening their file. Updating column headers for 3dcart , inventory etc. I go to save file. Upload .....and bammmmmm I get this in my store..

descriptionColumn in excel
    My input from master is:

&#60, &#62 High speed&nbsp;auto racing comes alive with&nbsp;this&nbsp;Full Function Radio Control Nissan 350z&nbsp;from&nbsp

and it comes out like this:
    <ul> <li>High speed&nbsp;auto racing comes alive with&nbsp;this&nbsp; Full function etc. etc. etc.

and so on.
    I hope for someone to please

I can get the master list in excel or cvs or xml ....I don't know anything about the VBS ????

The 300 or so original items I hand inputted ...I exported that file...then put the 2000+ new items in their perspective column and that's about it.

Thanks for any help from anyone willing to help a newbie.
    Last edited by dhatfield; 06-21-2011, 09:05 AM.

I would suggest that you download your products. Make note of a known good product entry and see what you can learn.
    Clayton
    Go Live Industries

Comment

When you save from Excel to CSV you will get the warning that some features are not compatible with CSV. This is normal and expected, as CSV is a very basic representation of the Excel spreadsheet. No worries, just click OK.

to fix your problem, first download your inventory and keep a backup.

You can use Excel find and replace to change "&nbsp;" to " " (space). If your copy of excel will not do it, then use a product like "advanced find and replace: Advanced Find and Replace - Main Page " or a similar program to find and replace any characters and code that is not working.

I would work with one column at a time. All you need to do an import is the Catalogid and the column you are working on (then select Update Only when prompted during import"

I cannot stress enough to keep new well labeled backups as you are working.

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate your responses. I have used find and replace but it seemed like there should be a easier way. If others can get the cart to display it correctly, thought I was doing something wrong. I did not know about advanced ....or " " to put in a space. Again, Thanks.

Comment

Do not go from an excel .xls or .xlsx format and save as a csv or txt. Start with a file saved as a csv or txt. Whenever you make changes, save the file and then close it and reopen it to see if the changes held.

Don't forget you can use the ' marker at the beginning of a cell to force the cell to be a text cell. The import will ignore the marker but still bring the information in as text. Works really nice for upc codes in csv files too.
          David
          David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

Originally posted by dhatfield View Post
            I appreciate your responses. I have used find and replace but it seemed like there should be a easier way. If others can get the cart to display it correctly, thought I was doing something wrong. I did not know about advanced ....or " " to put in a space. Again, Thanks.
            I'm sending you a private message. Go read it.

Your trying to do an html format for your description and your missing identifiers to format it right.
            David
            David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

Will do a.s.a.p...Probably tomorrow. Thank you Thank you so much

Comment

Some older versions of Excel truncate text in a cell, since they can only contain so many characters. I have also seen a formatting issue when saving from Excel that contains html as a cvs. Access is what I use when dealing with html text and moving columns around.

Comment

Working...
                X