Free Shipping and Coupon Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Shipping and Coupon Codes

We have free shipping for orders over $69.95 configured through a promotion (no code required). We also distribute coupon codes, typically 5 to 15% off.

Here's the problem:
    The free shipping promo is stackable, but all other codes are designated as non-stackable. As a result, if someone were to use the coupon code, then they would not receive free shipping on their over $69.95 order.

The obvious solution to this is to put free shipping on the percent-off coupons. However, then if someone places an order for a $4.00 item they would get free shipping (and the percent off).

Is there a way to offer free shipping on items over a certain amount and also have non-stackable percent off coupons available without the issue above?

You get this resolved?

I know this is an old post, but did you get this resolved?
    (I didn't)

Comment

You should create the Free Shipping as a shipping method, then it would not be affected by non-stackable promotions.

Comment

This is one of my least favorite things about 3dCart EVER! There is no workaround for this, and believe me, I have spent hours upon hours trying. Free Shipping as a shipping method doesn't work if you have certain products that don't get free shipping ever, because you can't exclude products if you set it up as shipping method. So, we also have to do our free shipping as a promo, but then we have this stacking problem.

It irks me to no end that people can use a promo code that drops their subtotal below the required level, but the free shipping will still apply. I have requested this feature repeatedly. 3dCart's answer was to create a workaround for this that only works for people who can use Free Shipping as a shipping setting. We lose a significant amount of money to this issue, but there is nothing we can do about it.
        Laura Z
        Brass & Silver Traditions
        www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

With the stackable / non-stackable, I wish there was another option of "Always Stackable", so this coupon always applies even in conjunction with non-stackable coupons.
          All our items qualify for free shipping so the fix 3dcart made to coupons and free shipping worked for us.

Comment

I may be missing the point or not understanding fully, but why not just make a shipping method (Custom by Value) as something like FREE SHIPPING and then set the range from $69.95 (minimum) to some amount that is highly unlikely to ever be met (maximum).

We have free UPS Ground over $50.00 in the contiguous U.S.

So we have a shipping method (Custom by Value) set up for the contiguous US (no Alaska, Hawaii, etc.) and it is from $50.00 - $10,000.00 as the order amount range.

We call the method ***FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING***.

The downside, and one that I haven't been able to figure out (and am thinking that it's impossible) is that when you have something like this, UPS Ground, which is a shipping option as the true calculated rate, still shows below in the "UPS Method" section of shipping options even when a customer has met the $50.00 threshold for FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING.

It's somewhat rare, but happens, where a customer qualifies for the free shipping -- which is automatically selected by the way -- and still chooses the UPS Ground option that has a fee associated with it.

In a perfect world, I would have UPS Ground (the calculated shipping method) set-up only for an order VALUE of $0.01 - $49.99 for the contiguous U.S. After that order amount, the calculated UPS Ground would drop-off and only the FREE UPS GROUND option would show.

In any case, UPS Ground (calculated) can only be defined, to my knowledge, based on weight, and not order value :(

I don't have the same issue as brassandsilver because we offer the free shipping on all items in our store (as long as you order $50.00 worth), and not just on select items...

Hope that helps.

-James

Comment

I think it would be relatively easy to use javascript to hide the regular UPS Ground option of the Free option is present.

Originally posted by JR123 View Post

The downside, and one that I haven't been able to figure out (and am thinking that it's impossible) is that when you have something like this, UPS Ground, which is a shipping option as the true calculated rate, still shows below in the "UPS Method" section of shipping options even when a customer has met the $50.00 threshold for FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING.
              -James

Comment

I think it would be relatively easy to use javascript to hide the regular UPS Ground option of the Free option is present.
                Thoughts? Unfortunately I'm so bad with coding, even easy things like JavaScript can easily boggle my mind. Pathetic I know, but if you have a suggestion on how it might be achievable I'm definitely all ears!

Thanks!
                James

Comment

I may be missing the point or not understanding fully
                  I believe you are. When you do the Free Shipping as a Coupon, you have more control on what it applies to. So it is not only a dollar limit. With the coupon you can exclude things and limit its use to other items.
                  It's somewhat rare, but happens, where a customer qualifies for the free shipping -- which is automatically selected by the way -- and still chooses the UPS Ground option that has a fee associated with it.
                  When that happens, we assume that the customer must have it ship either UPS or US mail, and they are willing to pay for the choice. When it is our choice (Free Shipping) we choose the carrier.

Comment

elightbox,

I missed your first post where you said "You should create the Free Shipping as a shipping method, then it would not be affected by non-stackable promotions." but that is basically what I was saying since SteveK didn't specify that his free shipping promotion only applied to certain items.

If the free shipping promotion is "across the board" (not on select items only) then I'm with you on making a shipping method for free shipping.

Otherwise, yes, a promotion would be more flexible, but then it sounds like there are issues with stackable/non stackable coupon codes (something I don't have a problem with since our free shipping is on all items).

And we advertise that the free shipping over $50 is specifically for UPS Ground, so it doesn't get us around the times where a customer chooses the "Calculated" UPS Ground rate instead of the "FREE UPS GROUND" auto-selected shipping method. In the end, I really wish that the calculated UPS Ground shipping method could have a range based on cart total, not just for the weight...

In an ideal situation, I would have one UPS Ground method set-up for contiguous U.S. states from $0.01 - $49.99 (and then it would go away over $50.00 and only show the FREE UPS GROUND method), and I would have another UPS Ground (calculated) method just for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico that would always show since they are excluded from the free shipping promotion... If anyone has an idea on how to do that, I would greatly appreciate it, though I don't think that it is possible...

Thanks!
                    -James

Comment

Working...
                    X