Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make left column wider?

Hi all,

I need to make the left column (Categories) wider, as some of the subcategories end up split on two lines.

Anyone know where I can go to access and change the left hand column width?

Thanks in advance!
    James

In the frame template find this line:
    Code:
    <td valign="top" width="202"><div class="column" id="column1">
    <!--START: LEFT_BAR_BLOCKS-->
    <!--START: LEFT_BANNER-->
    <table width="202"  cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" border="0">
    Change the width from 202 to whatever. Your width will most likely differ but that's the general idea. If you use a right column as well you may want to change for uniformity or not.

Or you may want to use the <td nowrap="nowrap"></td> tag as text size may vary.
    Clayton
    Go Live Industries

Comment

A Few Considerations

You have a few choices:
      • You can use nowrap as Go-Live suggested
      • You can choose to not display subcategories - look in your store settings. Do you really NEED your subcats showing?
      • You can change the column width
      • You can change your font size for subcategories and/or the padding

The problem with changing the column width is more than "making the number bigger". EACH section in your templates are set to a width that is a set number, in most cases. If you add to the left column, you need to subtract from the right column or content area. It would be easier if each section was set to percentages....but then you'll be converting to a "liquid" format, which is not good for beginners! Since you are selling products, not subcat names, reducing the content area is NOT a good choice. Consider hiding the subcats instead. JMO

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! I only have the Subcats showing when a main Cat is selected. Otherwise, the subcats are hidden. The problem is that when a Category is selected (which then creates the problem of those subcats splitting on 2 lines). I'll play around with it and see what works best.

Thanks again for both of your help! It's much appreciated!
        -James

Comment

Working...
        X