IP Blocking by Country needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Blocking by Country needed

OK. I just spent 3 hours manually entering ip addresses to block servers in Poland, Nicaragua, Ukraine, Zambia. We never EVER had this problem with Volusion or Yahoo. Tomorrow, I look forward to another 3 hours.

Attached is a mini-list of the ips in the Ukraine. How'd you like to enter each one of these? Now, I'm going to select just Ukraine here for an example:

"In IP addresses located in The Ukraine, we noticed a familiar pattern: 99.99% of the traffic was malicious, detrimental or otherwise undesirable.)." Read about the dangers of not blocking:
    Country IP Blocks

Why can't 3dcart block countries? Is there some sort of technical issue here that other hosts have figured out?

Forgive me if I'm being rude. But, really, I need to work on orders and sales or we won't be a customer very long. Do the math.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kem; 07-19-2011, 06:04 PM. Reason: Added attachment
    kem
    AddressNumbers.com
    Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Check out CloudFlare.
    We've found their service worth every penny.

They even have a free account.

https://www.cloudflare.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lml View Post
      Check out CloudFlare.
      We've found their service worth every penny.

They even have a free account.

https://www.cloudflare.com/
      I think that 3dcart should provide this because other hosts do. I'm not concerned of course about orders which are restricted to US. But, I am concerned about bandwidth, etc. from these sources. Here's a review of cloudflare
      Cloudflare Review and Privacy Concerns
      kem
      AddressNumbers.com

Comment

It should NOT be up to 3D Cart to decide who to be blocked collectively. It should be up to the individual merchant.
        You don't want 3D to be the big brother and decide who you sell to.
        With that being said, it would be great to have a different way to upload the IP Blocking, instead of manually entering.

You can find out Country ip addresses here: IP address country block generator :: IPInfoDB

**Keep in mind IP adresses aren't static at all times, it can be dynamic
        Elegant Weddings +
        www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
        www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Yes, I agree that we don't want a host to decide these things for us. However, I'd like to be able to block countries. Although the ip addresses are not static, countries can be blocked at the server level which is a lot less labor-intensive than entering 0-255 ip strings.

The best example of the vast amount of entries that would need to be manually entered is to go to the link you posted.
          Last edited by kem; 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM.
          kem
          AddressNumbers.com

Comment

Originally posted by kem View Post
            Yes, I agree that we don't want a host to decide these things for us. However, I'd like to be able to block countries. Although the ip addresses are not static, countries can be blocked at the server level which is a lot less labor-intensive than entering 0-255 ip strings.

The best example of the vast amount of entries that would need to be manually entered is to go to the link you posted.

the link i posted above generates htaccess deny files that we can update the server with, however, from my understanding 3D no longer uses hta.
            Also, as I mentioned earlier, if there is another way to upload the ip blocking (i.e via csv file) we can use the link i provided above to generate a file and upload.
            Elegant Weddings +
            www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
            www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

I agree. At least a csv would be better than manual entry. As long as we aren't charged for the bandwidth for uploads. Why would 3Dcart stop blocking countries? It hasn't happened on Yahoo or Volusion.
              kem
              AddressNumbers.com

Comment

Working...
              X