Feedback button and Safari 5.1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback button and Safari 5.1.

I'd like to see if anyone has seen this behavior. With Safari 5.1, which came out with the launch of OS X Lion earlier this week, I'm noticing that when I click on the feedback tab, I'm not getting the pop-up, but rather getting shunted to a whole new browser tab which then has the usual Feedback material. According to my Windows-using colleague, Safari 5.1 in Windows does the same thing. Chrome and Firefox in OS X Lion are fine.

What I do know is that Safari 5.1 is using Webkit2 for rendering and I know, from dealing with a couple of clients during my day job this week, that it created some problems for some JavaScript menus. 5.1 was basically not rendering the menus.

I'm guessing it has to be styling thing that's incompatible with Webkit2, but I do not know for sure. Anyone have any ideas?

By the way, the feedback button over there--->
    Also does the same thing...

Edit - I did put a ticket in for good measure. Also, blocking pop-ups or not makes no difference.
    Last edited by Burnspot; 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM.

Updating...

No answer to my 2 day old ticket yet, but I noticed that they removed the floating feedback button from these forums and their site. Wonder if that means something??

On a side note, I had an SEO client who's JavaScript menu (made by Allwebmenus) completely disappeared when using Safari 5.1 (they were on a custom CMS). Their host/designer of the CMS made some sort of change and the problem was fixed (apparently, it affected every website on their server that used the CMS with that style of menu)...I'm sticking with my Webkit2 and styling hypothesis. ;)
    Last edited by Burnspot; 07-28-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Tickets have taken awhile lately...this was not working for me for several days and now works fine (in Safari 5.1)

Pat
      Pat Cotter

The Preemie Store

Comment

Got an initial answer just now. FOR SAFARI ON WINDOWS - If you disable the option to open pages in new tabs automatically and set it to "never", the feedback pop-up works as intended. My Windows-using colleague tested it and it does seem to work. Unfortunately, I can't count on Safari-using customers to disable something that comes enabled by default JUST to use the feedback button. That said, I doubt many Windows users load up Safari anyway...unless they get curious when installing iTunes.

It still doesn't work on Safari 5.1 in OS X, no matter what tab settings you use; the feedback tab still opens a completely new tab rather than a pop-up.

I'll guess I'll just disable the option, like the 3DZoom feature that hasn't worked properly on Safari for ages, if they can't figure it out.

Screenshot of end result of clicking the Feedback button...great...
        http://blog.burningfiles.com/wp-cont...ck-problem.jpg
        Last edited by Burnspot; 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Feedback opens as a pop-up for me - using Safari 5.1, OS-Lion. Must be some settings re:pop-ups?
          Pat Cotter

The Preemie Store

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Cotter View Post
            Feedback opens as a pop-up for me - using Safari 5.1, OS-Lion. Must be some settings re:pop-ups?
            Interesting...it simply doesn't work on any of my Lion machines, no matter what settings I use. Oh well.

BTW Pat, have you seen the 3DZoom, shrinking image problem with Safari (since you're using OSX)?
            Last edited by Burnspot; 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Burnspot - used to have issue with the 3dzoom all the time - although i THINK it was related to me being signed in to 3dcart.... but now it seems to work fine... again using Lion and Safari 5.1
              Pat Cotter

The Preemie Store

Comment

Hmm, well, I guess I'll just have to live with the problems as support can tell me nothing more than to try different settings, empty my cache, clear cookies, etc. None of that has worked. I'm not exactly new to the internet game, lol.

I know something's up with Webkit2 as it required some styling changes for my SEO client's website to get their JavaScript menu to show up; however, I don't know if that same sort of problem applies here. Oh well.

Comment

Sounds like you need some more testing with Mac users. Have you tried posting your link in a Mac forum and have the users there test the functionality of the feedback feature for you? At least that way, you could get a good idea whether the issue is widespread (across many Mac users) or whether it's related to your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by piaf View Post
                    Sounds like you need some more testing with Mac users. Have you tried posting your link in a Mac forum and have the users there test the functionality of the feedback feature for you? At least that way, you could get a good idea whether the issue is widespread (across many Mac users) or whether it's related to your machine.
                    Yea, I'm going to try that. I've tested this problem on 3 different Macs with Safari 5.1 so far and all have the same problem, but I'll have to post it out to a wider audience. I've seen a few issues on the Apple forum that sound similar (some having to do with Webkit2 and some with the nitro JavaScript engine), but haven't gotten a chance to dig through them all yet. The 3DZoom problem's been around on Safari for a long time...well before 5.1, so no ideas there. ;)

Comment

Interesting... I went to do a Quicktime screen cap movie to illustrate the problem, and now the problem has gone away. I just checked my template folders in the store and the time/date stamp on the common folder is showing a modification occurred late this morning.

Heck...as long as it's working now. :D

3DZoom still broken, lol. Not using it anyway...

Comment

Working...
                      X