Email Template not changing email contents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Template not changing email contents

Everytime someone orders I receive an email that says "New Order #AB etc." and the contents say "Order Confirmation" and is addressed to the buyer. I assume this is the same email they receive, which can be edited via settings/design/emails.

Ive edited and saved the text I would like in emails/orders/new order-customer, however it does not reflect this in the (I assume its a copy) that it sends me.

The problem with the default text that is emailed to me and I believe also my customer- is that it says customer will receive additional email one order has shipped. Which is not true with my store.

Ive checked them all and "emails/orders/new order-customer" is the only one that contains the exact text I receive in the emails. I have edited this, yet the emails remain the same. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Am I editing the correct email? Thanks

lcfrenzy,
    Much has been said about the auto email templates. Unfortunately, the templates and how/which ones are sent out is a bit confusing. Yes, they can be hard to figure out, but it can be done! See below, AND pay special attention to how the payment method and status of order affects the emails (according to 3DCart).
    Here is some insight to these auto sent emails:
    http://forums.3dcart.com/store-desig...templates.html

Comment

Icfrenzy,
      There are two separate emails that get sent and they may have two different formatting sections depending on how they are set up. This is from my store's list of emails, from the "Order" section:

Code:
      New Order - Customer 	TYPE: Text/HTML 

New Order - Merchant 	TYPE: HTML 
      So as you can see, there's an email that's sent to customers for new orders and there's an email that's sent to the merchant (me) for new orders. HOWEVER, please note the information following the email name: Text/HTML or just HTML.

If the email to you or your customer says Text/HTML, that means the email has TWO formats within the template. If you make changes to only the text portion (usually listed first on the email template) but you don't make changes to the HTML portion of the email template, then I could see how your emails wouldn't reflect the changes you've made. They might be receiving the HTML version of the email which hasn't been changed.

So be sure to scroll ALL THE WAY THROUGH the email template and make changes to both the Text portion and the HTML portion to reflect all your changes appropriately. Then, if you want to get the exact same email as your customers get, just copy the entire email template content that's sent to your customers and paste it into the email for merchants.
      Last edited by piaf; 07-27-2011, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I understand about the text/html and had made the same changes in both. [New Order- Merchant] is not the email I am receiving. The notification I receive always says it is from [buyers email address] to me. Yet the content is addressed to [buyer name] and it appears to be a copy of the email they receive. (screenshot below)

Is there any way for me to know what the text in the customers email says? I would think it would say what I put in [new order- customer] but these emails I receive contain the default text from there, and not the text I have entered. (screen shot below) As long as what my customers receive is what I typed into [new order- customer] its fine, but I have no way of knowing, and these emails I receive lead me to believe differently.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5748/40510286.jpg

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8189/81259726.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Comment

[New Order- Merchant] is not the email I am receiving. The notification I receive always says it is from [buyers email address] to me. Yet the content is addressed to [buyer name] and it appears to be a copy of the email they receive.
          Yes, I had the same problem when I started with 3DCart. It seems that this is an error with the email templates. We just edited the New Order- Merchant templates to reflect what we wanted/needed to see when a new order arrives.

Did you read my post earlier? Be sure to also check out the link. Make sure you read the conversation with me and a 3D rep about these emails.

Comment

What we did was set a bcc copy of ALL the emails so we could confirm what the customer was seeing. Once all the emails were confirmed for content, we removed the bcc option.

Comment

You can always place a test order in your store to see ALL the correspondence a customer would receive from you. Once you place the test order, then "process" the order as you would any other customer's order so that you get the shipping confirmation emails or any other notifications you have set up.

And yes, it's really silly the way 3dCart has the Merchant's version of the email appearing to come from the customer's email address. It's a pain in the rear, because I can never get the images to display in my email program without having to add the sender's email address to my safe sender's list. If they changed the way the emails were sent out to us, I could add our outgoing email address to the safe senders list and be done with it, but nooooooo, it has to have the customer's email address as the sender instead. Pain in the rear. :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                Yes, I had the same problem when I started with 3DCart. It seems that this is an error with the email templates. We just edited the New Order- Merchant templates to reflect what we wanted/needed to see when a new order arrives.

Did you read my post earlier? Be sure to also check out the link. Make sure you read the conversation with me and a 3D rep about these emails.
                I did read your post and Thank you so much, that 3d rep chat was extremely helpful.
                The merchant template actually has different text than the email I linked the screenshot of. The merchant template begins with "[customer name] has placed an order", while the email I receive begins with "[customer name], This email confirms that your order was received at.."

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                What we did was set a bcc copy of ALL the emails so we could confirm what the customer was seeing. Once all the emails were confirmed for content, we removed the bcc option.
                Thank you that is a great solution I will do this right away!

Originally posted by piaf View Post
                You can always place a test order in your store to see ALL the correspondence a customer would receive from you. Once you place the test order, then "process" the order as you would any other customer's order so that you get the shipping confirmation emails or any other notifications you have set up.
                Thanks for this. I did try it but could not get my order to register as "New" instead of "Incomplete", since I wasn't actually paying for it. I tried to add custom transaction to satisfy the payment amount but moving it from "Incomplete" to "New" still wasn't possible. I probably wasn't doing it right but Mark's bcc solution will be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Mark I cant find where or how to setup the bcc option for emails. If you can tell me how to do this I will be so grateful. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X