Quick View strange behavier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
    I just tested on another site and the action happening on my site is not happening on their site. I stayed on the category page when I added an item to cart via the quick view screen.

Check your settings in Settings>General>Store Settings (make sure you selelct "Last Category" :
    https://elegantweddingsplus.3dcartst.../help_icon.gif Continue Shopping Action Product Last Category Referrer URL
    Elegant Weddings +
    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElegantWeddings View Post
      Check your settings in Settings>General>Store Settings (make sure you selelct "Last Category" :
      https://elegantweddingsplus.3dcartst.../help_icon.gif Continue Shopping Action Product Last Category Referrer URL
      Yes, set to last category.

Comment

hmmm when I had it set to " Referrer " or "Product "it kept staying on the product page.
        When I changed it to " Last Category " it loaded the product page but, when I clicked on "Continue Shopping" on the quickview page, it went back to the category page where started at.

I hate to ask you this but were the cache cleared from the Settings>general>Store Settings... ?
        Elegant Weddings +

Comment

hmmm when I had it set to " Referrer " or "Product "it kept staying on the product page.
          When I changed it to " Last Category " it loaded the product page but, when I clicked on "Continue Shopping" on the quickview page, it went back to the category page where started at.

I hate to ask you this but were the cache cleared from the Settings>general>Store Settings... ?
          I cleared the cache, but it still goes to and stays on the product page. It is set to go to last category when continue shopping is selected.

I turned off quick cart. Put in a ticket.

Comment

Good luck, hope they'll find you the solution :)
            I will hold off on these features until a solution is available for a smooth shopping experience for the customer.
            Elegant Weddings +

Comment

Good luck, hope they'll find you the solution :)
              I will hold off on these features until a solution is available for a smooth shopping experience for the customer.
              I too can't use these not so quick features either. Still working on a solution. The way there tied together make it a challenge.

The continue shopping action has also changed and I too have been struggling with it. The action from the window and from view cart have been odd. Sometimes the referrer is the window so from view cart I click continue shopping and get a whole page of the popup window.

I may just scrap this quick view entirely and revamp the ol PSs add to cart one.
              With the way quick view was designed to work it's just not worth spending much time revising.

Need a fresh start!
              Clayton
              Go Live Industries

Comment

OK I got Quick_view to be Quicker.
                Tested extensively on FF and IE.
                On the quick_view.html find:
                Code:
                 <td class="price-info" style="padding-left: 0px;"><input type="button" style="width: 100px;height: 25px;line-height: 21px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" onClick="check_and_add(document.add);" name="Add" value="[product_addtocart]" class="btn" onMouseOver="this.className='btn_over'" onMouseOut="this.className='btn'"></td>
                Replace the red lettering with:
                Code:
                "window.location='add_cart.asp?quick=1&item_id=[catalogid]'; window.setTimeout('parent.location.reload();', 1000);"
                If you made any changes to the View_cart_quick.html then just delete it from your default folder. The system will use the common one.

The above code will prevent the loading of the listing page and Quick_Cart and will also update the mini cart if you are using mini cart.

I wish I was a better at code as I am sure much more can be addressed in the JS and funtions.

History:
                This has been very tricky to work with. My first attempt with the quickcart was a dud cause quickcart also displays on the listing template and when adding to cart it would stay on that page, when what we really wanted was the cat page.
                On testing the Quickview the behavior was mixed. In IE the home page would load in the BG. On FF the listing page would load in the BG. Once you add to cart and the Quickcart window would pop.

I should note: set continue shopping action to Last Category :)

Anyway Enjoy!
                Last edited by Go Live; 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: noted Last Category
                Clayton
                Go Live Industries

Comment

Hope to try this out as soon as I have time!
                  Thanks @Go Live!
                  Elegant Weddings +

Comment

Thank you Go Live for sharing your work.
                    I tried this and the Add to Cart button on Quick View did not work consistently. There is an issue there but I did not have the time to really dig into it. I hope 3dcart will just revamp this feature with an update and do it right the 2nd time.

Comment

There is no reason any of us should be writing or modifying code. Are they paying you or giving you a discount to write code for them? I have ONE very simple change to my product sort pages. I changed the BUY NOW button to always force the buyer to go to the PRODUCT LISTING page. This was done YEARS ago with the help of support because the software did not have the option to force the user to view the details.

As a result my cart is now considered "USER MODIFIED" and I am expected to add the new release code myself. At least that is how I'm understanding it. I can't just change any of the options in my store settings and have things like QUICK VIEW work.

This is insane to me. They didn't update me - they made it so I have to spend hours trying to figure out how to implement code that makes no sense to me and then if I do it wrong I'll have to pay hundreds of dollars to get them to fix it.

As a result I have yet to implement a single feature of the new release. I just can't believe how eager everyone is to go in an mess with code that SHOULD be working. That is what we pay for right?
                      Last edited by cekman; 08-03-2011, 10:22 AM.
                      C Ekman
                      Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
                      http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Also - when a new release is made live to my store I expect to be TOLD about it. I just stumbled on it by accident when I was looking at store settings one day.

I was given no warning that major changes were made to my store (of course I knew they were coming SOMEDAY).

An email should have been sent with all of the KB articles attached - or at least links to them.

I've been spending hours going through support articles trying to find the ones I need to get the articles for the features I AM interested in.

Then when I find one and click DOWNLOAD - nothing happens - my computer just sits there - so I can't even view the articles I need to implement any changes I might want to use.

Poorly done 3DCart.
                        C Ekman

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
                          As a result I have yet to implement a single feature of the new release. I just can't believe how eager everyone is to go in an mess with code that SHOULD be working. That is what we pay for right?
                          I agree with many of the things you say... however, I do use 3dcart because of the extreme amount of customization that they allow. This has the draw back of meaning sometimes things dont work, or they dont work how I want them to.

I have spent hundreds of hours customizing there code... For instance I have taken out all the tables that they use... Now im having to redesign my product pages to work with their quickview feature. Its frustrating, but if the alternative was I could make no changes (all the other carts) then its no contest for me. I would disagree with you that 3dcart is supposed to be an "out of the box" solution... infact I think their default templates are designed poorly. There are much better carts if all you want to do is upload your products to a pre configured store.

On the extreme do it yourself solution --- I moved from zencart about 3 or 4 years ago... Last week I took a look at zencart again. (it drives me crazy that 3dcart charges $700 to implement recurring orders - the code is already in the templates!) And I was instantly reminded why I wont ever go back. Its a mess over there.

So the end result for me is that no matter how frustrated I get with 3dcart, its still the best solution that I have found if you DO want to mess with your own code, but also want the stability of a back-end that works almost all of the time.

Comment

I agree completely - the ability to change the code is wonderful. But MANY MANY 3Dcart store owners don't do major modifications.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 3dcart - when it's working. Ithink the feature set is fabulous. But of course I don't have access to it unless I go in and do a bunch of code 'stuff'.

I have modified just a very few TINY things. Like wording for a button, and forcing the product SORT page to go to the product LIST page. I did this years ago when I first set my store up and haven't touched it since.

This was literally a one-line change that Jimmy in support walked me through. Otherwise I am very happy with the entire store feature set exactly as it is.

However - now, because that tiny and very insignificant change was made - I have to go in an manually put the new version code into my store code. (at least that's the way I understand it).

I CAN do this - but I don't have time to constantly modify my cart - I need to be filling orders and putting new inventory out and working with my customers.

Also - had I jumped on the bandwagon and put the code in right away - look at the mess I would have gotten into. All these posts about things not working. I have a business to run - I pay 3DCart VERY well to give me a shopping cart that works. I was a database programmer for 19 years and that's not what I want to do anymore.

I chose 3DCart because it IS full of features - but I don't want to have to spend hundreds of hours of programming at my expense every time they role out a new version - and then have to test and fix it for them too.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the new Quick View feature - but what I want more is a bug-free enviroment for my customers to come to. If I'm lucky they MIGHT come back ONCE if they experience a bug while shopping - but you can bet they won't come back twice.

Not only am I wasting time an money by implementing code I don't understand - but I'm risking losing customers in the process.

So yes - I DO expect full-featured shopping cart - that's what I'm paying for. But I also expect 3DCART to help me implement the code THEY wrote. Especially when I'm NOT one fo the people who made dramatic changes to the code written. I also expect that code to WORK before it's rolled out.

I'm glad you like working on the code and rewriting it - but the vast majority of us just want a cart that works.

3Dcart has such a great product that I haven't found the need to really change it - but now I feel like I made a BIG mistake by making just a one line change to one page of my code. I SO wish I could just click that QUICK VIEW box in my store settings and try it out to see if I like it - but I can't. I have to risk messing up code I'm not sure how to fix just to see if I even like the feature.

What a mess for those of us who do just want to run our store and work with our customers.
                            C Ekman

Comment

Also you may have misunderstood this quote from me "There is no reason any of us should be writing or modifying code. Are they paying you or giving you a discount to write code for them? "

I have NO problem with people writing code on their own to customize their own carts - what I was referring to was having to write code to get the new features to work -i.e. figuring out the bugs for them. I feel this should have been done before it was rolled out.

I can definitely see the appeal to be able to do what you want - as long as you understand that MOST store owners are small business people who want to focus on their customers and products - so we chose 3DCart for the vast amount of fabulous features they already have - and we never have to look at code at all if we don't want to.
                              C Ekman

Comment

I've been reading through this thread from start to finish.

First I think it's great that so many people are willing to help each other.

But what really struck me is the huge variety of possible 'solutions'. One person gets something to work in ONE of their stores but not another. One person gets a good fix, but that breaks things for someone else who tries to implement it in their store.

Some people remove code, but others can't.

I clicked on a lot of store links to see what people have ended up with and it looks like the vast majority have removed QUICK VIEW completely.

The one I saw that still had it I tried from a customer viewpoint and didn't like it at all. It showed me the quick view and I added it to my cart - then it took me to the product page. I don't want to be there. As a customer it was VERY confusing.

I hope a new thread will be started when 3DCart has time to look at this. Then - I guess I'll pay the big bucks to have them insert the code for me.

I read the KB article and the top part says "Your LISTING page needs to be modified" but the actual code is for the FRAMES page. But my FRAMES page says it's never been modified.

It also says the code should be put in the HEADER section - I couldn't find a HEADER section.

It says the easiest solution is to go back to an unchanged template - but I can't even figure out how to do that. And my minor modifications were made so long ago I don't even know what features I would be losing.

I have 19 years of programming experience and I can't figure out how to adde 3 lines of code.

Sorry- just not worth it to me.
                                C Ekman

Comment

Working...
                                X