Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some ideas on how to change the category template!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some ideas on how to change the category template!

So I would like to have ONE item display at the top of the category page, as a sort of featured item to the left of the category description... the layout is no problem, in fact I have already done it here:

White Tea

The problem is that I used category specials to put the item there. When an item is a category special it is taken out of the listing. So if I have 3 category specials, but have it set up to only show one, the system hides the other two, so a customer will not be able to see them. So you might suggest I only have one item selected as a category special, but this does not work because I use sub categories... So if i have a category special for a fruit black tea, and a spiced black tea, one of them will not appear when you go to the category for all black teas.

My thought was to use the "new item" from the side bar (with the display items from category option turned on), but it seems that the code no longer works when you take it out of the frame.html and put it into the category_0.html...

Any other ideas on how to do this?
    Last edited by NMTEACO; 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM.

Originally posted by NMTEACO View Post
    When an item is a category special it is taken out of the listing
    We're experiencing a problem with the category specials not showing up in the listing as well. I was told by support that this functionality is hardcoded in the code and cannot be changed. So, I guess we're looking for a workaround, too. We have tons of products that are in multiple categories and we have chosen to only display two specials per category. So, if three (or in most cases, five or so) products are selected as category specials, one doesn't show up in our categories at all. I definitely don't want to manually code our category specials for each of our 48 categories every week. Any suggestions or workarounds? This is killing our subcategories, too.

Comment

I have found no workaround... I abandoned my idea of using category specials.

Comment

Originally posted by NMTEACO View Post
        I have found no workaround... I abandoned my idea of using category specials.

Well, dang. Hopefully this is a setting that 3DC will add in the future. In the meantime, I guess I'll be manually writing the category specials for each category.

Happy Wednesday!
        Shala

Comment

I have this same issue. Products that have "Category Special" checked are removed from the normal listing where the other products display. I want the featured product displayed in both the top category specials section and the products section below. Has this been figured out in the past 6 years?

Comment

Hi Nader,

The solution would be to create a "New" Product, and make it the category special with the same name and thumbnail. Then in the settings for the product set its "link" the be the other product that you actually sell.

This way you are basically just created a link to your product in the header part of the page.

Comment

thecartdesigner is this something you want to work on? A feature request to keep the products in the main listing when checked as category special?

Comment

Working...
              X