Product Sort no longer Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Sort no longer Works

I've submitted a ticket for this but thought I would pass it on. You should all check your own stores for this...

My product pages allow my customers to sort by Name, Newest, Stock levels, Price etc (I'm sure yours do too).

I use this feature ALL of the time myself - especially to page through by low stock to see what items I'm out of.

The other day I went to use it and noticed that when I pressed the page link to go to page two - I lost the sort. I tried over and over with different sorts and could never get it to sort past page 1.

I sent a ticket in and support says "Your category has a default sort of NEWEST - so whenever that page refreshes it will always resort to your default" That is - if you set a default - you can't page by any other sort option.

This is in the Advanced Options for category setup. Since I opened my store in 2008 I have had the category default for my main product set to NEWEST and the various sorts always worked perfectly.

This ability has been taken away. If you set a default sort in your category setup - then NONE of your sorting options will work past page 1. This is so ridiculous. Such as BASIC BASIC BASIC feature and it's been taken away. Very poor programming.

I want my store to sort my different product categories differently. Some are best displayed to my customers by NAME order when the first go in - others have a high inventory turnover and my customer want to see the NEWEST items first.

This is so stupid.
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Yep, I see the problem, happening on my store too. :mad:

Comment

Crazy - you cannot sort the other pages even. Once I change the sort it goes back to page 1 - we need to follow up on this with support!
      Pat Cotter

The Preemie Store

Comment

Question - I do not see the ability to sort on stock levels - can we do that? How?
        Pat Cotter

The Preemie Store

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Cotter View Post
          Question - I do not see the ability to sort on stock levels - can we do that? How?
          Yes you can -

Go to:
          Settings -> Design -> Edit "Order By"
          C Ekman

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Cotter View Post
            Crazy - you cannot sort the other pages even. Once I change the sort it goes back to page 1 - we need to follow up on this with support!
            Please submit a support ticket for this and let them know you want it working again. This 'feature' is by design. They have updated their support articles to reflect that it SHOULD work this way

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=185

Edit: Reading the article above further - the note at the bottom seems to only refer to PRODUCT SORTING. I didn't even know we could do that. I can understand that if you specify the INDIVIDUAL products to be sorted in a particular way - then other sort options might not work. But for general product searching - you should be able to have multipe search sorts and a DEFAULT one to start with.

Just to make sure I went to Products/Sorting and I do NOT have anything set up here. I just have sorts in Settings/Design - and then a default in the category.

End Edit.

It is soooooooooooo stupid. Why would you even need a default sort unless you had MULTIPLE sort options??? But - if you SET a default - then you can only sort by the default.

This worked just a few weeks ago
            Last edited by cekman; 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM.
            C Ekman

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
              Yes you can -

Go to:
              Settings -> Design -> Edit "Order By"
              Oh neat. Thanks!!

Comment

In order to at least allow my customers to be able to use the various product sort options - I tested one of my categories and went in and REMOVED the default sort under Advanced Options (chose the BLANK).

This did NOT fix the problem. The customer still can not go to page two - regardless of what sort option is selected. (they can go to page 2 but it's not sorted correctly).

In addition - the product page came up as sorted by Price (low to high) - but it's not actually sorted by that. Then if you change the sort, to ANY OPTION, it only sorts for the first page.

I sent this to support - hopefully they will realize that it's broke.

First they said "Can't help you - you modified the page" (years ago and VERY minor)

Next they say "This is by design - you can't use a default sort if you want multiple sort options" Huh?????????????????

Sometimes I think they are so busy they just try to get out of a ticket as fast as they can - the "You modified the template" page is often the first repsonse I get - then I have to spend hours proving to them that something is wrong. This makes me NOT happy.

Hopefully other stores will submit the same ticket and they will start to look at it more closely. If they figure it out they can solve the problem for all of us at once.
                C Ekman

Comment

I've verified that my site now has the same problem once I go past page 1 .

Why on earth would they get rid of that option when you would THINK that you just pass the sort-order through when you click to advance to the next page.

:mad:

Comment

My sort isn't working AT ALL!! (not even on the first page).

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
                      My sort isn't working AT ALL!! (not even on the first page).
                      My guess is that you don't have a default sort set in your category - if that is blank then the initial sort seems to be just random.

Please everyone submit a ticket.

I don't think they REALLY meant to design it this way - I think that was just their response to my ticket.

This is absolutely a bug and if we all submit tickets for it they will get it fixed all the sooner. This HAS to be fixed.
                      C Ekman

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
                        Please everyone submit a ticket.

I don't think they REALLY meant to design it this way - I think that was just their response to my ticket.

This is absolutely a bug and if we all submit tickets for it they will get it fixed all the sooner. This HAS to be fixed.
                        +1

It's probably just a result of the 4.0 upgrade which the shop I tested is on. They have already responded to my ticket and have replied "Our developers are checking into this issue for you and we will be sure to reply back via this ticket as soon as there is a resolution."

I'm confident that they'll get it resolved sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution View Post
                          +1

I'm confident that they'll get it resolved sooner than later.
                          I agree - just wish I hadn't had to spend 2-3 hours convincing them it really was a problem - but as long as it gets fixed that's all I really care about.
                          C Ekman

Comment

As an update, I just got a message from support that the issue has been resolve.

I tested the site and it appears to be working correctly now so you may want to check yours also.

:D

Comment

Thanks for the heads up - yes - mine seems to be working now too. I'm sure I'll get an update to my ticket soon. I'm really glad this one got fixed.
                              C Ekman

Comment

Working...
                              X