File Manager still ignored on another upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Manager still ignored on another upgrade

Is anyone else flabergasted (sp?) that FILE MANAGER appears to not have been improved in the lastest upgrade?

I can't find any improvements at all.

Please 3DCART - in the next release stop with the new bells and whistles that don't work anyway and give us some easier ways to manage images and files.

I can't believe the hoops I have to jump through to work with thousands and thousands of images.

Maybe I'm missing something- If I am please point me in the right direction. But I would REALLY like the simple ability to sort my images by date added - so I don't have to page through HUNDREDS of pages to find the last 20 images I just uploaded.

I really truly hope I'm wrong here and something was changed. But if not - please - no more buggy code until some of our BASIC tools work better for us. (can anyone say EMAIL).
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

use an FTP manager.

Comment

I agree with doberer, nothing beats a good FTP client, you can easily sort by name, date, size and re-arrange images as needed.

I use Filezilla, is free and works great.

Comment

An FTP client doesn't fix the entire problem anyway at least for me. When adding products, the lack of a "sticky" folder setting make you have to navigate through a stack of folders each time you want to upload. If the file manager defaulted to stay at the last folder you were in, it would be very helpful.

Also, for those of us who sometimes update our sites from the office (attached to the server with all the images) and from laptops at various locations (home, hotels, etc), an FTP manager won't help.

I am not sure who Jim the super moderator is (3dcart person?) but if that is the official 3d answer, it kind of stinks and is not how a lot (some?) people use the software in the real world.

DaveW

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post

I am not sure who Jim the super moderator is (3dcart person?) but if that is the official 3d answer, it kind of stinks and is not how a lot (some?) people use the software in the real world.
          I am wondering the same thing "who is Jim the super Moderator"!
          Elegant Weddings +
          www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
          www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Sorry about missing the signature on my last post, somehow the user "Jimmy" was already taken, perhaps I should kick that user out and take over the name, I mean I could since I'm a Supermoderator..... :)

Jimmy Rodriguez
            Chief Technical Officer
            800.828.6650 x113
            twitter Jimmy Rodriguez (jimmy3dcart) on Twitter
            Linkedin Jimmy Rodriguez | LinkedIn

Regarding the File Manager, the FTP is the best option to have full control over your files. I do appreciate the feedback on the File Manager, and would be great if you can add those to uservoice to be consider for the next update, Feature Request for 3dcart Shopping Cart Software - Feature Requests

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
              Jimmy Rodriguez
              Chief Technical Officer
              800.828.6650 x113
              twitter Jimmy Rodriguez (jimmy3dcart) on Twitter
              Linkedin Jimmy Rodriguez | LinkedIn
              Thank you Jimmy for introducing yourself.
              Elegant Weddings +
              www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
              www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

I'm not sure FTP would help me that much. I mostly have trouble when I'm trying to attach images to products and need to use the structure provided. If I just downloaded 100+ images and am updating images I have a heck of a time finding the images I want if I don't know their file names.

It won't even stay on the page of images I was just working on. So if I've scrolled through 35 pages and do something - it goes back to page one.

I hate it - such a waste of time. Some BASIC things like - sort by date added, GO TO PAGE, LAST PAGE - stuff like that - would help.

Jimmy has been here FOREVER - and is probably the best tech 3dCart has - he's the one to get involved if you actually want support to listen to you.
                C Ekman

Comment

Ah, its that Jim(my) He has helped me many times as well.

I voted in the Uservoice thing (again). I think I may have voted there before for a similiar request.

FTP would be perfect for heavy duty file uploads and management, but that is not what I tend to do on a daily basis. Instead, I am adding or adjusting products, probably only 2 or 3 a day.

We have our pictures all in /ProductImages and then in a folder under that for each brand. Some brands have other folders under that, but we avoid that becuase it is so hard to navigate.

So, each picture addition or change requires me to click through a stack of folders to get to the right one. If it was sticky after the first, it would be a lot easier.

Even if I add a bunch of new products with a bunch of new photos via FTP, I would still have to browse through all those folders each time I do anything with a photo on the product listing. Main photo, gallery photos, dropimage photos, etc. It is very time consuming.

It reminds me of the million extra mouse clicks programmed into StoneEdge, especially the POS system. I have to click "capture" and then "Ok" to process a card. OK on 10 transactions a day, a real pain when we do 200-300.

It sounds like 3dcart/Jimmy is thinking that FTP can just replace the file manager, and there are a milion good FTP programs, so what are they compaining about? :) I do appreciate the FTP access, but am trying to hopefully show that the file manager is used a lot more often than 3d may be imagining.

The programmers who come up with these excellent programs (SE and 3dcart) need to try to pay attention to these little things that make a big difference in the overall user experience.

Thanks and respectfully,

DaveW

Comment

I manage all my images, templates and uploads via FTP. (almost 8000 images).

Comment

Originally posted by doberer View Post
                      I manage all my images, templates and uploads via FTP. (almost 8000 images).
                      Not trying to be argumentative, but when you add a new product, how do you "insert" or "link" the image into the product listing?

That is the interaction with the file manager that I would like to see improved.

DaveW

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                        Sorry about missing the signature on my last post, somehow the user "Jimmy" was already taken, perhaps I should kick that user out and take over the name, I mean I could since I'm a Supermoderator..... :)

Jimmy
                        I hope thats a joke. I like to think 3D wouldnt hire a moderator who would suspend or ban a user just so they could take their username.... :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
                          Not trying to be argumentative, but when you add a new product, how do you "insert" or "link" the image into the product listing?

That is the interaction with the file manager that I would like to see improved.

DaveW
                          FTP your images to folder:

assets/images/

Then use that along with the image name in the Image section of the product:

assets/images/new-item.gif

Save then "create from main image" for thumb.

Thats what I do. With FTP open, I right click the image and click rename so I can copy the name(dont actually rename). Then paste into the edit product page.

Or, you can do this with a CSV file. Probably easier.

Comment

Getting the images loaded isn't the problem - the Batch Upload works great for that.

It's trying to FIND or work with the images once they are loaded that is a complete bother.

If I have 4 images for one product I have to write down the image names of all of them. I would have to do this with your method also.

If the current file manager simply had a "Sort by last loaded" - I could load my images, sort and click the I want.

Some of my products I uploade via a file and those I don't have to worry about images. But my jewelry products I create individually and working with the images is horrible.

In addition I work with images in promotions, related products etc. Sometimes I find myself paging through 20-30 pages of images trying to find what I need.

You have to admit - a couple of basic additional features would help a lot - and why should I have to introduce yet another 3rd party tool when I'm paying a LOT for the one I have?
                            C Ekman

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
                              Getting the images loaded isn't the problem - the Batch Upload works great for that.

It's trying to FIND or work with the images once they are loaded that is a complete bother.

If I have 4 images for one product I have to write down the image names of all of them. I would have to do this with your method also.
                              Yeah, thats why the "rename" > copy > paste thing is a nice "cheat" for me. It was difficult remembering the image names.

Also, now I rename all my images before I upload them to be SEO friendly, ie: blue-candle-warmer-1.gif, blue-candle-warmer-2.gif

Makes it easier and once I get the first image in, I just change the number and save. I number them in the order I need to use them.

I'm lazy so the easier it is the better :D

Comment

Working...
                              X