Shipped Date in Order Processing Email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipped Date in Order Processing Email

I just noticed when a customer places an order, the order processing email contains a line that reads: Shipped Date: then contains tomorrows date.

ie they place an order today, 8-9-11 the email shows shipped date as 8-10-11. Why does the order confirmation email have a shipped out date???? :confused:

I just checked and I do not see the "Shipped Date:" line for an order that is "processing". The test I did was for a payment via check/money order. Not sure if this makes a difference, but we have this payment option set up as "Order Status: UNPAID" in our Offline Payment Methods.

As a side note, we did customize most of the auto sent emails, but I don't remember actually having to remove that "Shipped Date:" line from any of the email templates.

Comment

When I checked the template there is a line that reads something like "start shipdate" and "end shipdate". I didnt mess with it but I saw the shipped date when a customer, who placed an order on the 8th replied to that order confirmation email asking us to update the shipping address. Below the shipping address were the words: "Shipped Date 8-9-11".

Here is the line in the email, this is the Order Processing email the customer gets when they place the order:

Code:
      [oshipaddress] [oshipaddress2] [oshipcity], [oshipstate] [oshipzip] [oshipcountry]
      			<!--START: oshippeddate--><br>
      			<strong>Shipped Date</strong>: [oshippeddate]<!--END: oshippeddate-->
      It makes no sense for the order confirmation email to have a future ship date shown. I had never noticed this before.

Comment

Geesh - it's in mine too.... And when I first set my store up I tested the emails over and over to get them right - but I can't imagine the developers would have ADDED this. I must have missed it but I can't see that I would have left it in. I really modified them - I remember they used to have the users PASSWORD in every emails.

Here it is in my New Order for customers

Code:
        <!--START: oshippeddate--><br>
        			<strong>Shipped Date</strong>: [oshippeddate]<!--END: oshippeddate-->			 </td>
                  <td width="30%" valign="top"><strong>Shipping Method</strong><br>
                     [oshipmethod]<br>
                    <!--START: trackingcode-->
                    <strong>Tracking Number</strong><br>
                     <a href="[store_url]/shiptracking.asp?trackno=[trackingcode]">[trackingcode]</a>
                    <!--END: trackingcode-->
        I'm thinking this entire section should come out??
        C Ekman
        Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
        http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

I have the tracking info in mine too but I wouldnt remove that. I am going to remove the ship date part. Kind of silly that its in there. Makes no sense. And where are they coming up with the ship date, a future date?

I cant imagine why 3D Cart would put this in the basic order confirmation email. Someone wasnt thinking.

Comment

Just curious why you would leave the tracking number in the New Order email?

Also - do you think this has always been there and we just missed it? Kind of embarassing since I spent so much time in 2008 getting my emails the way I wanted them. :o
            C Ekman

Comment

Hi everyone.

To answer this question; the email templates are designed to be as universal and flexible as possible to afford merchants the ability to design them as they see fit. As such, the confirmation email template will share features that its other counterparts have as well – including the code blocks for shipping date and tracking information. Some merchants prefer a more manual process of handling their orders, so the code blocks will be present in order to use that functionality if it’s something they require. It’s analogous to some late model cars – they all came with a cigarette lighter; regardless if the owner smoked or not. The code is simply there if needed.

Now, even though the code resides in the template; typically speaking, the initial order confirmation email will not show any tracking or ship date information at all. This is because the order itself won’t have that information populated on it.

To explain it a different way, whenever you see a block of code listed with “<!—START:” and “<!—END:” tags, the template won’t actually use the function unless there is information in those respective areas.

So a new order coming in won’t have any ship date information on it, and merely moving it from “New” to “In Process” status doesn’t add the ship date information to it either. So in your case, I would concentrate your investigation to find out at which point (and why) the order is getting a ship date appended to it in the first place. I don’t know enough about your store to say for certain, but perhaps you have some sort of 3rd party order management software like StoneEdge that might be appending the Ship Date to the order, or a shipping program (like ShipWorks) which might be adding the information to the order somehow. All I can say with certainty is that a new order will not have a Ship Date assigned to it by default. Furthermore, moving it from one status to the other will also not populate this information in any way as far as the 3dcart store is concerned.

Of course, the easiest, “less-headache” option would be to simply remove the block of code from the new order email template altogether. Just be sure to remove the whole block including the start and end tags.

Look for and remove everything between:

HTML Code:
              <!--START: oshippeddate--><!--END: oshippeddate-->
              <!--START: trackingcode--><!--END: trackingcode-->

Comment

Originally posted by 3dCartHenry View Post
                Hi everyone.

Now, even though the code resides in the template; typically speaking, the initial order confirmation email will not show any tracking or ship date information at all. This is because the order itself won’t have that information populated on it.

To explain it a different way, whenever you see a block of code listed with “<!—START:” and “<!—END:” tags, the template won’t actually use the function unless there is information in those respective areas.

So a new order coming in won’t have any ship date information on it, and merely moving it from “New” to “In Process” status doesn’t add the ship date information to it either. HTML]
                I just came in to comment on this because I tested my email by going to a new order, and clicking EDIT - then in Actions I clicked CUSTOMER EMAIL - that shows you exactly what the customer gets. Poster is correct - my ship date and tracking number wer blank and nothing was displayed in the email. But once I entered the information and changed the status to SHIPPED - then viewed that email - it was there. So even though the code is there - it isn't necessarily send to the customer.
                C Ekman

Comment

Working...
                X