Inventory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventory

Is it possible to control the inventory for specific items, not all item in store?

I have read the KB articles and looked through the forum, but I can't find the answer! The only way to get the "Inventory Options" to show for any product is by using the global inventory at Settings/General/Store Settings. But, if I enable that, then I have to control inventory for all products - yes/no?

If anyone has successfully used inventory control just for certain items, I will be grateful for any info.

I either set the qty to 10,000 so I don't have to worry about keep track of it, or use 0 qty and set the out of stock message to say "In Stock" then from the front of the website it will look like its always in stock.

Comment

Thanks for answering Kanoa9321, here are my thoughts/concerns:

I either set the qty to 10,000 so I don't have to worry about keep track of it
      I thought about this option of setting high qtys for the other items, but,
      1. I will eventually have to change the stock when/if the qty runs out ( we were with our "old" cart for ten yrs and sold a lot of items.) I plan on staying with 3D cart for a long time!
      2. I was not crazy about the idea of changing all the inventories of products we already have on the site.

or use 0 qty and set the out of stock message to say "In Stock" then from the front of the website it will look like its always in stock.
      This option sounds like it "might" work! My biggest concern is that this may cause other problems such as customers ordering items that are "out of stock" as the 3Dcart sees it. Have you had any problems such as this? How long have you tried/used this method?

Comment

Anyone else using inventory control for some (but not all) items? I would love to hear how you handle this with 3DCart.

Comment

For my store, I don't really worry about the actual inventory. We manufacture our own goods, so we always have everything in stock. So we set everything with a high quantity. You can export your products, go into excel and just paste 1,000 or maybe 10,000 down the whole column, then just import it back in. That way you don't have to go page by page.

Before doing that we just changed the "Out of Stock Message" on each product page to say "In Stock" That way the customer will never know its out of stock, from the front of the website it will show in stock. Customers will be able to order the item. Only thing is then it creates negative inventory. For us thats no problem as I had mentioned before. If I remember correctly 3dcart will still allow customers to order an out of stock item, without the customer knowing the difference. I think if you chose backorder, it would be different the customer would know cause they receive an email.

If you have some items that you need to keep accurate inventory of and others that you don't it might be a little complicated. It might be easier to use the "In stock" way.

Comment

Kanoa9321, thanks again for the added info. We also "manufacture" the majority of our items. However we have a few hundred of assorted products that we will no longer be selling. These are from an outside source, so once they are gone, they are gone!

I will look into and test some ideas (yours and mine) and come up with something!

BTW: Just curious, but you say:
            I don't really worry about the actual inventory. We manufacture our own goods, so we always have everything in stock.
            Why do you even use inventory at all?

Comment

I don't use inventory yet as I have been wondering the same thing as you. I manufacture about 60% of my products but also import.

I want to set inventory for certain products that I have limited supply, that sell out regularly or that take time to get restocked on. I do not want to set inventory for everything.

If you find out anything please post it here as I will do the same. It might just require a call to support.

Comment

As much as I hated our old shopping cart (before 3D), they had one feature that was perfect for this situation - you set the inventory for each product. If you left the field blank, no inventory was used but if you inserted a number, the cart tracked the inventory. When the qty reached "0", you would get an email notice AND the product would be unavailable for future orders until you went in and changed the qty again.

This worked great for us as we are always adding/discontinuing items from outside sources.

BrigadeGames, I will post anything I come up with that might work!

Comment

you can also set an inventory alert with 3dcart, so if you do use the 1,000 inventory qty you will be notified if it gets low.

Comment

Kanoa9321, I had just found the "Stock Alert" info in the KB articles (along with some other info that I didn't find earlier - searching the KB with different words/phrases brought up some new articles/answers/PDFs that I missed earlier!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Working...
                    X