Is all coding created equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is all coding created equal?

Hello fellow 3D folks. I am moving over from ProStores (yet another) and have a question.

Working on a new graphic design for my site. Graphics are important for us, and the designer did an A+++ job. He has been awesome to work with and has been supremely professional. However, he has now handed things off to a colleague of his to do the coding, and some problems have arisen. The result is that I have this nagging worry....that not all coding is created equal, and his is sloppy. I liken it to contractors building a house, they can look the same but underneath some are solid and some are not.

Basic attention to detail - things like alignment, font continuity, etc. - were lacking. BUT In particular I have concerns on sloppy coding and how the site will do on search. I don't know much coding but it seems the pages have endless lines before it even begins to show header, meta, etc. My existing PS site is clean, looking at the new one it looks a complete mess.

Fellow 3D subscribers, how do I tell? How do you determine the integrity of a site at a greater depth than looking at it rendered on a browser?

Both sites are here:
    Old site (PS)
    New site (3D)

Thanks for your time.

Brian
    Last edited by Brtp4; 10-01-2011, 08:11 PM.

Coding

No. The world was supposed to be coding in xhtml by now. The internet is still full of html table-heavy coding. 3D uses it too. I HATE TABLES! The problem is that IE loves tables and there are people that are using outdated computers, browsers, etc. Not all browsers interpret code directions the same, especially IE, so that creates a lot of code hacks to overcome their archaic display. xtml is the way to go. If you code in xhtml you are set for now and the future. Yet even with that, due to SE issues, it is very hard to get a consistent display across browsers at this time using xhtml strict, the W3C recommended choice. Most who use xhtml use the transitional version.

From what I've read, the Google god does give preference to "correct" coding. Less is better. Using the fewest "directions" within sites is always preferred. Laying out the code in the order of operation is too. Keeping stylesheets to 3 or less gets "points" too. There are always exceptions, but those are the preferred requirements - layout, colors, javascript. Ideally, the ONLY code in your <head> section should be the code necessary to open the home page. Since the servers have stylesheets on their end, keeping the stylesheet calls for what we have to do with our sites needs to be kept low. If you code correctly, there should be no inline styles, except if that style is used only once on your site.

I wouldn't get overly concerned about "sloppy", but being precise/concise is important. Google has over 200 criteria in their algorithm. The sloppiness shouldn't affect you much. The main concern is page load time. Since stylesheets are called first, getting the order of operations right will speed up display, yet even if it isn't exact, it is only milliseconds. Images are usually the biggest cause of slow page load times. Optimizing and compressing images is essential for sites where there are a lot of images used on any given page. Remember that the images include those that come with the templates.

You need to keep in mind that ProStores uses ssml coding, which is html abbreviated. In rendering it looks the same as full html. So what you see in the 3D css will look longer. Once your site is live you can run a W3C validation to find areas to tweak. You can use a number of FF add-ons to assess other problem areas.

Welcome aboard Brtp4! It's nice to see another familiar "face"!
    Last edited by celebra1; 10-02-2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Brian,

You are right to be a little concerned, I have to say that is once of the nice things for me is that I write my own code and do my own design so it's all consistent to my standards.

if the developer was give a design that was handled properly, there should be NO reason it doesn't come out 99% as what it looked like on paper.

some browsers make certain things look a little different but it should be very close to the same if done properly.

I'm with celebra1... I HATE TABLES :D

Comment

Working...
      X