Problem with 404's and SEO URL's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with 404's and SEO URL's

Ok, when I used the SEO URL's I noticed that if someone went to a page that does not exist instead of getting any 404 error or going to my home page it just stays on a blank page with no message.

How do I get old URL's still indexed and we also have over a hundred of old links pointing to old URL's to get sent to the home page instead of a blank page?

I did 301's for hundreds of old links but every scan in webmaster tools reveals more and more old links. I dont want to keep doing a 301 for everyone and I would much rather these old links go 404 and route to the homepage.

I solved this terrible, terrible, problem by uploading a custom 404 page via ftp per these instructions:
    https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=232

(I, too, was horrified when I discovered the blank page. I'd love to know why that happens. Sadly, you can't even search for the term 404 in this user group and can find no explanation in the knowledge base.)

I'm still not really satisfied with my solution, though. What I really want is to make my 404 page look like the rest of my site so users can see and use my search box and navigation to find what they were looking for. I tried copying my frame.html file and then placing my 404 message in the middle section, but the page won't render properly.

Any suggestions? What does everyone else do for 404 pages?

--mimi

Comment

I too am working on this and would like some add'l info.

From what I understand, putting a 404 page in the folder specified in the KB article will result in the 404 page displaying for errors. BUT if you are using custom URLs for products, then...white page will pop up if you have any URL errors.

What I do not know is:
      - does this occur for ALL product pages or only ones that have custom URLs?
      - Is it triggered by the fact that custom URLs exist, or because the module is activated?

Neck deep in stuff I don't understand.....kinda enjoying things though!!

BP

Comment

We are using custom urls and we have a custom 404 page. If I type http://www.mydomain.com/bogus.html, it shows the custom 404 page. I hope this answers your question.
        One thing to note with the custom 404 page, is that it does not use the Frame, so you have to create it from scratch to match the look and feel of your site and have links to other pages to allow the customer to continue shopping.

I would also suggest a contact form on this page to allow customers to give you feedback on why they got an error.

Comment

There are many advantages in using them - but only if they are very well designed.

URL canonicalisation is the single most important reason, and chucking millions of keywords into the path part of the URL is the worst possible reason for using one.

Pages of a site do not need a .html extension. Using extensionless URLs for pages has many advantages, not least 'hiding' the type of technology that generates your pages; and allowing you to change to a completely different system without having to change any of the URLs that are used to access your content. http://imagicon.info/cat/5-6/vbulletin-smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
            We are using custom urls and we have a custom 404 page.
            Did you create your custom 404 using the info at the recommended thread (below) or did you use some other method?

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=232

Originally posted by satnavcompany View Post
            and chucking millions of keywords into the path part of the URL is the worst possible reason for using one. http://imagicon.info/cat/5-6/vbulletin-smile.gif
            Can you explain what you mean here?

Originally posted by satnavcompany View Post
            Pages of a site do not need a .html extension. Using extensionless URLs for pages has many advantages, not least 'hiding' the type of technology that generates your pages; and allowing you to change to a completely different system without having to change any of the URLs that are used to access your content. http://imagicon.info/cat/5-6/vbulletin-smile.gif
            This is all news to me, and very interesting. Could you elaborate a bit more? This is something I've never heard of before and I am not following it completely. Thanks!

Comment

Poppin, Savnav can't post anymore. What are you trying to do?
              David
              David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

Originally posted by InsnWizard View Post
                Poppin, Savnav can't post anymore. What are you trying to do?
                Thanks for the response. I was just curious about the details of his post.

Also, we haven't done anything regarding 404 errors but I see via smarterstats that a lot of folks get them (I honestly never thought about it until now). So I'm interested in that whole situation as well as the unique take that Satnav seemed to have on it.

Comment

Satnav pretty much couldn't find his tail from his head and pretty much spent his time throwing meaningless comments everywhere. 404 will happen anytime you delete a product. It can also happen if you hide a product.

3D's url structure has the internal product number in the url. This saves you time if the product moves from category to category.

If you are going to delete a product you do a 301 redirect to the home page. Redirecting to another product confuses the customer coming onto the site. You always use the html or whatever is on the end of the string. Bot read what they see and don't adlib and ad endings that it thinks it might have.
                  David
                  David's Gifts and Things

Comment

:) ahhh. I see. Thanks for the insight and the info. It makes sense. And I never really thought of how helpful that number could be regarding moving prods from cat to cat - makes sense.

Comment

Had ProStores and their url string was nuts unless you had a dedicated ssl and then the category was in the string. It was also not overly friendly to the bots.

You get stuck just search the forum, myself and a pretty good group of others are usually hanging around.
                      David
                      David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Had ProStores and their url string was nuts unless you had a dedicated ssl and then the category was in the string. It was also not overly friendly to the bots.
                        Always interesting to hear insights from folks who have come to 3dcart from other solutions.

You get stuck just search the forum, myself and a pretty good group of others are usually hanging around.
                        Thanks. We always appreciate sharing info here. We've actually been here a while - our # of posts belies our actual number which is much higher - it got reset for some reason a while back due to a user name/pw issue :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X