Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best solution for a knowledge base/FAQ system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best solution for a knowledge base/FAQ system?

hi, i wonder if any of you have installed some sort of knowledge base or FAQ system on your 3dcart? i spoke to tech today and there is nothing avail from 3dcart. we run a motorcycle parts shop and many questions are repetitive. so a KB will be the best solution, but which one?

thanks!

daz

I sell restored mopar wiper motors and underhood components and have the same problem...I added a knowledge base/FAQ to my cart through the blog. Seems to help, maybe not the optimum solution, but the information is certainly there for the viewing

Comment

Originally posted by gogowanda View Post
      hi, i wonder if any of you have installed some sort of knowledge base or FAQ system on your 3dcart? i spoke to tech today and there is nothing avail from 3dcart. we run a motorcycle parts shop and many questions are repetitive. so a KB will be the best solution, but which one?

thanks!

daz
      I am creating one under Design>Settings>Site Content>extra page. Once on the new extra page you can check the live date feed box. You have to save then close then go back and you will see a new database feed box. Click on it and add your questions. I am still writting mine so I don't know how it looks live yet.
      Marsha,

Comment

Originally posted by mac411 View Post
        I am creating one under Design>Settings>Site Content>extra page. Once on the new extra page you can check the live date feed box. You have to save then close then go back and you will see a new database feed box. Click on it and add your questions. I am still writting mine so I don't know how it looks live yet.
        Weird that support tech didn't mention this feature. I just unhide the page for a second to peek at the one I was creating and it looks good. Hope that is what you are looking for.
        Marsha,

Comment

The best FAQ system hands down is from XIGLA Banner Ad Management Software,Live Chat Customer Support Software, E-mail Newsletter Marketing Scripts in ASP .NET . I used it with my old web site and it was amazing. I am planning on implementing it here after the holidays.
          You have to host it on another server, and link to it. It uses a SQL database, but these days you can host w/SQL for under $10 a month.

Comment

great guys, i'll try it out w/ the database - i was looking at my database usage the other day and it's zero!

Comment

Originally posted by mac411 View Post
              This is how we set up our Knowledgebase too. Works pretty well, my only complaint is that I'd prefer the questions to be on a different page from the answers. This way puts all the questions at the top of the page and then when you click on a question, it scrolls down the page to the answer.

But other than that one "issue", it works well and it's easy to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                The best FAQ system hands down is from XIGLA Banner Ad Management Software,Live Chat Customer Support Software, E-mail Newsletter Marketing Scripts in ASP .NET . I used it with my old web site and it was amazing. I am planning on implementing it here after the holidays.
                You have to host it on another server, and link to it. It uses a SQL database, but these days you can host w/SQL for under $10 a month.
                when you get it running post back a howto. I would be very interested in something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                  i'll probably need this after the questions become un-browseable. as of now they are ok w/ database feed. do you have a link (a live FAQ) where we can take a look?

Comment

I have sort of a FAQ on my site. I added it in extra pages as well.

Product Information

However, this does not address images very well. An image gallery is needed on some non-products. So, I have this awful workaround
                    GM- Letter Mounting Options
                    Last edited by kem; 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM.
                    kem
                    AddressNumbers.com
                    Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Comment

Originally posted by kem View Post
                      I have sort of a FAQ on my site. I added it in extra pages as well.

Product Information

However, this does not address images very well. An image gallery is needed on some products. So, I have this awful workaround
                      GM- Letter Mounting Options
                      Thanks for information........ http://imagicon.info/cat/5-6/vbulletin-smile.gif

Comment

I just read your response. And, realized that I needed to clarify my comment.

I meant to say that an image gallery is need on some non-products (such as FAQs or instruction pages that are created using "extra pages"). I wonder how difficult that would be for 3dcart to implement?
                        kem
                        AddressNumbers.com

Comment

For everyone who has so far responded with their work arounds to creating an FAQ or KB in 3dcart...have you tested it for search?

I believe we tried every one of the 3dcart-based suggestions in this thread (granted, on the version prior to the current one) and the reason we gave up was because if someone typed a term into the "site search" (hyperbole at best) bar at the top of the page, the pages we had created for FAQ use - datafeed pages, extra pages, etc, did not come up.

So, this may not be the case for this current version (we haven't tried this again recently) but it absolutely was the case before. Just a warning before you spend too much time on your workaround. Unless you don't mind if searches don't bring up results from your FAQ.

Comment

You are correct. They do not show up in the search results. So, we have at least 3 problems:
                            1) No image gallery
                            2) No search inclusion
                            3) Our workarounds are just that - workarounds. They should not be regarded by software developers as "solutions" that don't need to be addressed.
                            kem
                            AddressNumbers.com

Comment

Has anyone considered using free wiki engines as FAQ?
                              here is a comparison site for wikis
                              Best Wiki: Comparison of the best free wiki software
                              Elegant Weddings +
                              www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
                              www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Working...
                              X