Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock levels keep getting off.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stock levels keep getting off.

    This happens quite frequently and it's very frustrating. Someone will order something and it turns out we actually are out of it. They have all been sold. Have any of you experienced this? I'm not sure why that's getting off.

    We'll receive 12 doo-dads, add 12 doo-dads to our inventory. We'll sell 12 doo-dads, and then receive another order where they were able to add it to their cart. When we look up inventory it will say 0 or 1 - or something like that... so somewhere along the line it got off by 1 or 2.

    I'm very tired of contacting customers and telling them they can't have what they ordered because the web site was off on how much inventory we had. Any insight would be much appreciated.

    Mike
    www.KarensCookies.net
    Cookie Decorating Simplified

  • #2
    Are you updating inventory in 3dcart or using a third party software?

    We've had problems with this, but it's never been the fault of 3dcart. The biggest problem was a cleaning staff stealing from us.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wcsjohn View Post
      Are you updating inventory in 3dcart or using a third party software?

      We've had problems with this, but it's never been the fault of 3dcart. The biggest problem was a cleaning staff stealing from us.
      We're just dealing directly through 3dcart for updating our inventory. Our company is small so I'm the cleaning crew - and I record everything I steal ;)
      www.KarensCookies.net
      Cookie Decorating Simplified

      Comment


      • #4
        I've had the same problem and support hasn't been able to help. Just last week again I had a product that has been at 0 inventory forever magically appear to be back in stock.

        Kind of frustrating because they seem to sneak up on me and I have to apologize to the customer for numbers being off when in fact they shouldn't have been.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Evolution View Post
          I've had the same problem and support hasn't been able to help. Just last week again I had a product that has been at 0 inventory forever magically appear to be back in stock.

          Kind of frustrating because they seem to sneak up on me and I have to apologize to the customer for numbers being off when in fact they shouldn't have been.
          Good to know I'm not alone. I know that something like this could happen if you, for example, have someone choose an "offline payment" (if you offer that) and then they don't end up paying, and you cancel the order after some time... it will then add the items back to stock. But I am (as are you I'm sure) very aware of how stock can shift around like that. The inaccuracies I'm seeing have nothing like that going on that are affecting them.
          www.KarensCookies.net
          Cookie Decorating Simplified

          Comment


          • #6
            wow i thought it was just me this has happened to me recently on 3 different products that i know i marked as qty 0.

            Comment


            • #7
              is this a cookies issue? maybe when they added it to their cart it was stored as a cookie so when they came back to the site it appeared to be in stock?

              how long do the cookies on 3dcart last?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hanzoswords View Post
                is this a cookies issue? maybe when they added it to their cart it was stored as a cookie so when they came back to the site it appeared to be in stock?

                how long do the cookies on 3dcart last?
                From 3DCart's responses, it does appear to be an issue with cookies, and basically they claim there is no solution, but to export your inventory regularly and monitor it, perhaps daily... (yeah, I have 30k - 40k items in my warehouse at any given time... can't really do that)

                Anyway, if interested, this is what they said in relation to the cookies and people's carts holding items:

                3dcart: This error may have been caused by a buyer adding product to a cart, and returning days later to complete the order with the item in the cart (which was sold in the meantime).

                Me: Is there a setting somewhere to dump people's carts after some amount of time? For example, could I set it to 24 hours, or something like that?

                3dcart: Unfortunately, no. Since the customer's cart information is saved in a cookie in their web browser, there isn't any way to force them to clear from the store side. These cookies remain active for up to a year, so if they are not removed by some other process before the customer returns to the store that customer will retain the same cart information.

                ----------------

                So there you go. Maybe this is just something that happens with all carts? It sure is frustrating. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. I've resorted to adjusting my stock levels so I actually physically have more than what the site says... but now I have product sitting around that could be sold *sigh*
                www.KarensCookies.net
                Cookie Decorating Simplified

                Comment


                • #9
                  This issue does happen with 3dcart, however it does not affect your inventory. The only problem with this, is it would allow a customer to buy a product that was hidden, or out of stock.
                  It should not happen, as the cart should validate the products at some point before proceeding to checkout.
                  Having a thousand carts out there with products in cookies does not affect the inventory values.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    me too

                    when I have seen this happen, the invoice # is older so yes i can tell it is a cookie that has been sitting around. All 3dcart has to do is a new inventory level check during the checkout process prior to finalization. pretty simple
                    steve

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Steve Win View Post
                      when I have seen this happen, the invoice # is older so yes i can tell it is a cookie that has been sitting around. All 3dcart has to do is a new inventory level check during the checkout process prior to finalization. pretty simple
                      steve
                      Exactly! One final inventory check at the end of the process would reduce the confusion.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by maksum View Post
                        From 3DCart's responses, it does appear to be an issue with cookies, and basically they claim there is no solution, but to export your inventory regularly and monitor it, perhaps daily... (yeah, I have 30k - 40k items in my warehouse at any given time... can't really do that)

                        Anyway, if interested, this is what they said in relation to the cookies and people's carts holding items:

                        3dcart: This error may have been caused by a buyer adding product to a cart, and returning days later to complete the order with the item in the cart (which was sold in the meantime).

                        Me: Is there a setting somewhere to dump people's carts after some amount of time? For example, could I set it to 24 hours, or something like that?

                        3dcart: Unfortunately, no. Since the customer's cart information is saved in a cookie in their web browser, there isn't any way to force them to clear from the store side. These cookies remain active for up to a year, so if they are not removed by some other process before the customer returns to the store that customer will retain the same cart information.

                        ----------------

                        So there you go. Maybe this is just something that happens with all carts? It sure is frustrating. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. I've resorted to adjusting my stock levels so I actually physically have more than what the site says... but now I have product sitting around that could be sold *sigh*
                        I've worked with another cart software and it allowed a setting to expire the cart in a user defined amount of time. Maybe 3dcart is using another technique, but what little experience I've had writing cookies, it seemed the lifespan of the cookie is one of the basic properties that is set.

                        I would definitely vote for a final inventory check when the customer moves from the cart to the checkout. We spend a good deal of our customer service time in dialogue with customers who are sure the item was in stock when they placed the order.
                        Shelly Gardner-Alley
                        www.papermojo.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          cookies and managing inventory

                          Well, i'm a new 3dcart user and was happily preparing my website to go live. As i was placing test orders, i sure encountered both problems:
                          1. cookies life-span is too long and there is no way i can control it;
                          2. the inventory in NOT checked before finalizing customer's check-out and therefore gets into dark side of negative inventory. Shop owners' nightmare...

                          I placed a support ticket for these issues and got this polite response:

                          Hello Rita,


                          We have no plans on updating these things but you can always go to Custom Ecommerce Development to see if our programmers can customize these features for your needs with custom programming.


                          Sincerely,

                          John .S
                          3dcart Support Specialist
                          Support Portal: 3dcart - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software
                          Isn't it an amazing answer? I believe that "these things" are the very basics of any shopping cart.. Or am i wrong? And how 3dcart can be PCI compliant with those immortal cookies? I'm lost...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rkory View Post
                            Isn't it an amazing answer? I believe that "these things" are the very basics of any shopping cart.. Or am i wrong? And how 3dcart can be PCI compliant with those immortal cookies? I'm lost...
                            Welcome to 3d "that's not how it works for but a fee we'll fix it."

                            Unfortunately, what's in the cookie has nothing to do with PCI compliance.

                            It does however have to do with logical useability which is why it doesn't make sense why they don't fix it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Unfortunately, I've just asked for quote for a form of inventory validation when the customer moves from the cart to the checkout. I thought it might be done using Javascript. Unfortunately, the response was that it couldn't be done, but granted my budget was small - only $1000.00
                              Shelly Gardner-Alley
                              www.papermojo.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X