Need help with Paypal Checkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Paypal Checkout

When a customer goes to the one page checkout and hits paypal it goes to the paypal login and will send them back to the one page checkout. Nothing really changes on this page and many people are confused what to do at this point.

To check out they have to hit the CHECK OUT button at the bottom of the page but most have already hit the CHECK OUT button earlier which brought then to the check out page. Is there a way to change this page to say something like "FINALIZE CHECKOUT" or "COMPLETE YOUR PAYPAL CHECKOUT"

can't you change these things on the store language page in settings, design?

(sorry new to the cart and still learning)

Comment

Originally posted by tmilone103 View Post
      When a customer goes to the one page checkout and hits paypal it goes to the paypal login and will send them back to the one page checkout. Nothing really changes on this page and many people are confused what to do at this point.

To check out they have to hit the CHECK OUT button at the bottom of the page but most have already hit the CHECK OUT button earlier which brought then to the check out page. Is there a way to change this page to say something like "FINALIZE CHECKOUT" or "COMPLETE YOUR PAYPAL CHECKOUT"
      My customers are complaining about the same thing. They don't know why they are returning.

Is this unique to PayPal Express?

Comment

Originally posted by Davef View Post
        My customers are complaining about the same thing. They don't know why they are returning.

Is this unique to PayPal Express?
        Update: I called PayPal. They said that the problem is with 3Dcart. The customer is being returned to the website, even though on the PayPal side, the "return to website" is unchecked. It looks like PayPal Express is not the one to use.

Those of you who use PayPal standard...Any problems? Somebody please answer.

Comment

Originally posted by tmilone103 View Post

As part of the team that went through the process of getting 3dcart certified for Paypal Express and Paypal Pro, I can tell you that's exactly the way Paypal Express works. It's also a requirement to have the Paypal Express logo on the View Cart page, and the option at checkout is meant as a 2nd chance to pay with Paypal.

- Customer goes to View Cart or Checkout.
          - Customer clicks on Paypal Express button.
          - Customer is sent to paypal, the order total is not available yet since Shipping & Tax have not been calculated.
          - Customer logs in at paypal and is returned to the Checkout page of the site.
          - Billing and Shipping address are automatically populate from the information sent by Paypal.
          - Any additional method dissapears from the page and now that tax and shipping are calculated the customer can complete the order.

Originally posted by Davef103 View Post
          Update: I called PayPal. They said that the problem is with 3Dcart. The customer is being returned to the website, even though on the PayPal side, the "return to website" is unchecked. It looks like PayPal Express is not the one to use.
          Unfortunately it seems you got a Level 1 rep at paypal that is clueless about how Paypal Express works with 3dcart. I can assure you there is no such setting for Paypal Express and that the "return to website" is specific to PAYPAL STANDARD and refers to redirecting back to the site after the order has been completed.

Jimmy Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy3dcart View Post

- Customer is sent to paypal, the order total is not available yet since Shipping & Tax have not been calculated.
            - Billing and Shipping address are automatically populate from the information sent by Paypal.
            - Any additional method dissapears from the page and now that tax and shipping are calculated the customer can complete the order.
            Worth mentioning here is that if you have "Password is required" checked in your store settings (3d recommends it), the user will have to enter a password to proceed once they are redirected back to your site from paypal. This is true with new users and existing users, as long as they use the same email on your cart account and PayPal, get logged into your site.

This has caused some confusion on our end because the shopper doesn't realize it or understand what the asteriks in the password field is for and why they have to enter one since they've already logged into PayPal.

Maybe on the return to the cart from PayPal the Password field could be set to active so the cursor is there, possibly reducing the confusion?

Comment

As part of the team that went through the process of getting 3dcart certified for Paypal Express and Paypal Pro, I can tell you that's exactly the way Paypal Express works. It's also a requirement to have the Paypal Express logo on the View Cart page, and the option at checkout is meant as a 2nd chance to pay with Paypal.

Unfortunately it seems you got a Level 1 rep at paypal that is clueless about how Paypal Express works with 3dcart. I can assure you there is no such setting for Paypal Express and that the "return to website" is specific to PAYPAL STANDARD and refers to redirecting back to the site after the order has been completed.

Jimmy Rodriguez
              I tried it myself and was confused as to why I was on the checkout page (again) with no explanation. I didn't know that I was supposed to 1) select billing 2) agree to Terms and Conditions. (I knew that as a merchant, but not as a customer.)

If I use Paypal STANDARD, apparently there is no improvement above PayPal Express. The customer is still redirected to the webpage with no message as to what they are supposed to do. Do I understand that correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Davef View Post
                If I use Paypal STANDARD, apparently there is no improvement above PayPal Express. The customer is still redirected to the webpage with no message as to what they are supposed to do. Do I understand that correctly?
                Actually, PAYPAL STANDARD will work better for what you're looking for. Customer fills out all information at checkout, clicking PAYPAL STANDARD doesn't redirect automatically like EXPRESS does, then customers clicks on the CHECKOUT button and is sent to paypal for paypal. The only redirect back to the site happens after the customer pays at paypal to display the Thank You page.

Jimmy Rodriguez

Comment

Actually, PAYPAL STANDARD will work better for what you're looking for. Customer fills out all information at checkout, clicking PAYPAL STANDARD doesn't redirect automatically like EXPRESS does, then customers clicks on the CHECKOUT button and is sent to paypal for paypal. The only redirect back to the site happens after the customer pays at paypal to display the Thank You page.

Jimmy Rodriguez

This is just what I need. However, I can't get the PayPal logo/link to display. I have it set to Active and it is listed in the payment methods on the checkout page. API is correct. Any suggestions?

Please disregard. I figured it out.
                  Last edited by Davef; 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Have you walked through the process lately Jimmy?

I don't believe this statement is correct because we're at a Business level at PayPal and get re-directed back which is why I made the comment about the password for new users being confusing.

Jimmy Rodriguez

Comment

we added a popup box and also a description next to paypal that talks about leaving our site, logging into paypal and then coming back to checkout.

no issues or calls about it.

Comment

It does work well when you use PayPal standard. Express is very confusing and the customer has no assistance. A popup is definitely needed with Express. We like Standard is much better because we don't need to explain why they need to take more action. Plus, in the list of online payments, PayPal goes under the credit cards instead of on top of the list with a huge logo.

We deleted the PayPal Express setup on 3dcart side and then restarted by selecting 3dcart and the PayPal Standard instead. Our PayPal historical orders from our store that we moved to 3dcart were still there.
                        Last edited by Davef; 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X