Backorder/out of stock config

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backorder/out of stock config

Is there a way to config some items to allow for back order, while others to either disappear from the site when out of stock, or to display "out of stock" with no backordering available?

I have that exact same situation. We have 2 product classes: If product A is not in stock, then it takes about 1 week to ship. If product B is not in stock, then it takes 2-3 weeks to ship. We'd like to show inventory availability for each. My site setting allows backorders, and I've changed the message to read "When will it ship?" If not in stock it reads "2-3 weeks", but I want to use a different message for the other product. Hope someone can help us :)
    Last edited by rrw; 11-06-2007, 01:21 PM.

Comment

You can customize the way the way the items handle being out of stock as follows:

1) Global rule

Settings->General->Store settings

Enable Inventory Control
      Hide Items (When out of stock, hide items)
      Show as "Out of Stock" (When out of stock, Show as "Out of Stock")
      Allow Back Order (When out of stock, allow them to keep ordering but show that its in back order)
      Use Waiting List (When out of stock, give them the chance to add themselves to a waiting list)

2) If you have specific products that need to be different than the global rule, you can go to each product, click the advanced tab, and change the configuration on a per product basis.
      ----------------------------
      Gonzalo Gil
      3dCart Support
      800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I guess I'm not understanding. I've set "allow backorders" in my general settings, and have a message of "ships in 3 weeks" for that option in the site language section.

Now for the other products, I've set the language for "out of stock" to read, "ships in 1 week". The problem is that the system will not allow the customer to even place an order if the product is set for "out of stock", if there are none in stock. That was my original problem--I need to have another option, "allow backorders 2", and set the language for it differently.

Comment

Gonz- thanks!

rrw - maybe you can change the language for waiting list to say "ships in x weeks" and allow backorder to say "ships in y weeks" ?

Comment

I tried that, but with waiting list it won't actually take the order either, unless I'm doing something wrong. It seems like the backorder option is the only one available to actually complete the transaction.

Comment

you could just make a blanket statement of ships within 2-3 weeks, but when it actually ships within 1 week, your customer will be pleasantly surprised! (?)

Comment

Unfortunately, our customers (brides) need to have more specific timeframes in order to schedule fittings, etc.

Gonzalo, any ideas??? Is it possible to make a rule that would allow one of the other options, such as out of stock, to proceed to checkout anyway? Or how about adding a second backorder choice??? This may not be an issue for many, but it is huge for us!

Comment

What you could do is create 2 listing templates;

Listing 1 - For items that are within 7 days
                  Listing 2 - For items that are shipping within xx days

And then you can assign the right template to the items.

What you would do is make a copy of the template, then in the section that displays the availability, you could hard code "Available in xx days..."

We are working on adding multiple availability options on the next release, which will make things a lot easier, but for now, the multiple templates is the way that i would take care of it.
                  Gonzalo Gil
                  3dCart Support
                  800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I think I follow you, but does that mean that it would not track inventory for that product but always give the "ships in xxx days" message regardless?

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
                      You can customize the way the way the items handle being out of stock as follows:

1) Global rule

Settings->General->Store settings

Enable Inventory Control
                      Hide Items (When out of stock, hide items)
                      Show as "Out of Stock" (When out of stock, Show as "Out of Stock")
                      Allow Back Order (When out of stock, allow them to keep ordering but show that its in back order)
                      Use Waiting List (When out of stock, give them the chance to add themselves to a waiting list)

2) If you have specific products that need to be different than the global rule, you can go to each product, click the advanced tab, and change the configuration on a per product basis.
                      I know this is from a REALLLY old post, but since it relates to the issue I am having today and since the instructions came straight from the horses mouth, I wanted to refer to this quote from Gonzalo Gil. Here's my problem...

1. I want most items to hide when out of stock. (inventoried items)
                      2. I want some items to allow back order. (drop-ship and special order items)

As GG instructs, I have tried to "Hide Items" at the global level and then, at product level, set some items to "Allow Back Order". Unfortunately, the website seems to defer to the global setting and ignore the product level configuration, so all out-of-stock items are hidden -- including my drop-ship and special order items.

The other logical solution would be to set "Allow Back Order" as the global setting and "Hide Items" at product level, but "Hide Items" is not available as an option at product level.

Therefore, I am reduced to allowing back orders globally and then manually hiding out-of-stock items. This sucks. It's easy to do once as a csv import, but crazy to try and maintain.

Is there another, automated solution I am overlooking?

Comment

If you want to email me directly some samples, of items you have setup this way, i can take a look at this for you. gil @ 3dcart.com

The other solution would be to leave backorder as the default, and, then, on a per item basis change the configuration of the way you want stock to be handled. I think the issue you may be having is that by setting the items to be hidden when out of stock, they might disappear from category pages since at the category level the system is not aware of each and every item's inventory setting, that setting is not looked at until you open up the specific product...

If you set the default to be back order, then items will always show, but when you go to the item, if this particular item has it set to be out of stock (instead of allow back order) then it will not allow the customer to place an order.
                        Gonzalo Gil
                        3dCart Support
                        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thanks for your personal attention to this! The problem is, we really want the out-of-stock items off the site completely. We suspect that customers are becoming frustrated by browsing to items and then finding out that they are not available. We'd really like to be able to utilize the automated feature of hiding items when they are out-of-stock and then un-hiding them when they are back-in-stock.

I will email you with more specifics. Thanks. --mimib

Comment

You can set the category up so out of stock items show at the bottom, below in stock items.

This is provided these items will be back in. Leaving them on the site allows people to get on the waiting list.

We had an issue where in/out of stock items were mixed on the category page and people became frustrated, emailing about so many out of stock items. Placing them on the bottom seems to have helped.

Just change the category to "Stock: High to Low"

Comment

Good suggestion, but that wouldn't help us with what we're trying to accomplish. We have many non-inventoried (drop-ship and special order) items which, to 3dCart, appear to be out-of-stock. Generally, these are bigger ticket items, which is why we don't inventory them . So, you can see, we don't want to bury these items. We thought about giving those items an inventory quantity of 999, but apparently that really mucks up Quick-Books and, once again, adds a lot of manual, time-consuming monitoring.

Comment

Working...
                              X