Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSL Certificate - Do I really need it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SSL Certificate - Do I really need it?

    I've been using the shared SSL certificate provided free by 3D Cart since 2006 and never even gave it a thought until this past week when 2 customers E-mailed me that they were concerned about my site not being secure. I've done a little bit of research on this and unless I'm missing something, it seems like having your own SSL certificate isn't really necessary since sensitive information is encrypted during checkout anyway. It does seem though that it might have a psychological benefit. If customers perceive that your site is safe vs unsafe, I can see where it might reflect on business. I have no idea whether or not I've been losing business all along because other potential customers felt rightly or wrongly, that the site wasn't safe. Pricing seems to be all over the place on these certificates also. Do most of you use your own SSL certificate? What's the real scoop on this? Should I buy one? and if so, what features should I be looking for?

  • #2
    we use the shared SSL, and show the padlock image at the bottom of each page. The entire site should never be on a secure platform, only the sensitive date on account/checkout pages; unless you are selling items that the customers must login to purchase, then the entire site should be secure.


    here is another thread that talks about this topic:
    http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...hared-ssl.html
    Elegant Weddings +
    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

    Comment


    • #3
      The shared one is working just fine on my site. If you do decide to buy one go to GoDaddy and have 3D install it. The installation price moves around depending on if they have a promotion going. You have to check a few times on the site. It usually isn't broadcast.

      GoDaddy ssl's are just as good as anybodies so don't let anyone con you into some of the more expensive ones.
      David
      David's Gifts and Things

      Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

      Quality, Selection, Value Always

      The more you buy the more you save!

      Comment


      • #4
        I would never buy from a site with a shared ssl. If the business is too cheap to even invest in an SSL then there must be other shortcuts the company takes. I would invest in one, it's only 29 a year on godaddy. In this day and age, I don't understand why people still do the shared. Just my $0.02
        (¯`v´¯)
        `*.¸.*´

        ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
        (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
        * P£†®ª *

        Shadow Trailers
        www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
        www.Trailer-Wheels.com
        www.iTrailerParts.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MissHTML View Post
          I would never buy from a site with a shared ssl. If the business is too cheap to even invest in an SSL then there must be other shortcuts the company takes. I would invest in one, it's only 29 a year on godaddy. In this day and age, I don't understand why people still do the shared. Just my $0.02

          Buyers do not know whether SSL is shared or not. They only care if their information is secure, and the safety feature appears on the url.
          Elegant Weddings +
          www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
          www.elegantweddingsplus.com

          Comment


          • #6
            The GD SSL is only $29 but the install is $99 right now but usually is about $149. Depending on when yo do it your looking at $128 - $178. Some just don't have the cash.
            Most people don't care about an SSL on a site until they get a warning about a problem with it.
            David
            David's Gifts and Things

            Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

            Quality, Selection, Value Always

            The more you buy the more you save!

            Comment


            • #7
              You can totally tell if it's shared or not just by checking out the URL it's not that hard. It's not that big of an investment I don't even understand why this is a topic here?? Sorry haven't checked in a while, their cost is now 69 still nothing. And if you install it yourself, you don't have to pay any extra to 3dcart That's just too cheap not to do IMO
              (¯`v´¯)
              `*.¸.*´

              ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
              (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
              * P£†®ª *

              Shadow Trailers
              www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
              www.Trailer-Wheels.com
              www.iTrailerParts.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MissHTML View Post
                You can totally tell if it's shared or not just by checking out the URL it's not that hard. It's not that big of an investment I don't even understand why this is a topic here?? Sorry haven't checked in a while, their cost is now 69 still nothing. And if you install it yourself, you don't have to pay any extra to 3dcart That's just too cheap not to do IMO
                Unless the buyer is "ecommerce" or "Tech" savy, it isn't clear if the ssl is shared or not. Save your money, getting your own SSL is not a worthy expense in my opinion, put that $ towards getting more customers....
                Elegant Weddings +
                www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
                www.elegantweddingsplus.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  There are so many web businesses out there taking all the short cuts we've been in business for 20 years and online for 13, we believe security is important. We'll talk in another 10 and see if you still have your opinion.
                  (¯`v´¯)
                  `*.¸.*´

                  ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
                  (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
                  * P£†®ª *

                  Shadow Trailers
                  www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
                  www.Trailer-Wheels.com
                  www.iTrailerParts.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MissHTML View Post
                    There are so many web businesses out there taking all the short cuts we've been in business for 20 years and online for 13, we believe security is important. We'll talk in another 10 and see if you still have your opinion.
                    We do "believe" in security; whether the SSL is shared or NOT makes no difference in that, the information is secure regardless. the SSL is beneficial for online business, but not necessary to spend money to buy another when shared one is already available.

                    The question on this thread was "SSL Certificate - Do I really need it?"
                    Yes. shared SSL certificate is the same as a Paid SSL Certificate. Ultimately, the sensitive information is secure.
                    Elegant Weddings +
                    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
                    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ElegantWeddings View Post
                      We do "believe" in security; whether the SSL is shared or NOT makes no difference in that, the information is secure regardless. the SSL is beneficial for online business, but not necessary to spend money to buy another when shared one is already available.

                      The question on this thread was "SSL Certificate - Do I really need it?"
                      Yes. shared SSL certificate is the same as a Paid SSL Certificate. Ultimately, the sensitive information is secure.
                      I have to disagree, no, they are not the same. Your identity is independently verified, with a dedicated ssl or as you put it "paid ssl" and your domain name is what appears on the certificate. You are in charge of your protection, and your SSL certificate can come with you if you switch Shopping Carts/Web Hosts etc.. Customers see your company's name when they check the SSL certificate, and that bolsters your credibility. Another advantage is that you are able choose the level of security you receive, rather than simply taking whatever the SSL owner of a shared certificate offers. This gives your customer a sense of ease and security when shopping.

                      The main downside to the shared SSL certificate is that your business name is not usually on the SSL certificate. The person who bought the certificate (and you are sharing it with) usually appears. For some online shoppers, this might raise red flags. Another problem is that if the person who bought the SSL certificate lapses, you lapse as well, leaving your Web site vulnerable. Not that I'm saying that this will happen with 3D, but just explaining why they ARE NOT the same.
                      (¯`v´¯)
                      `*.¸.*´

                      ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
                      (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
                      * P£†®ª *

                      Shadow Trailers
                      www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
                      www.Trailer-Wheels.com
                      www.iTrailerParts.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just switched from the 3dcart shared to my own...nightmare!

                        Just a warning, I just switched my SSL from the 3dcart certificate to my own Rapid SSL. I had 3dcart install it. They did not warn me or advise me that I would have to change many things. You need to do a re-direct in your system. If you have anything hardcoded, including images in blog entries, home page, etc... you need to change those. I am running into duplicate page issues and also security name mis match issues. 3dcart has not helped me at all, it's been a nightmare.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rcheltrvel View Post
                          Just a warning, I just switched my SSL from the 3dcart certificate to my own Rapid SSL. I had 3dcart install it. They did not warn me or advise me that I would have to change many things. You need to do a re-direct in your system. If you have anything hardcoded, including images in blog entries, home page, etc... you need to change those. I am running into duplicate page issues and also security name mis match issues. 3dcart has not helped me at all, it's been a nightmare.
                          Oh my, that's disappointing
                          (¯`v´¯)
                          `*.¸.*´

                          ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
                          (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
                          * P£†®ª *

                          Shadow Trailers
                          www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
                          www.Trailer-Wheels.com
                          www.iTrailerParts.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rcheltrvel View Post
                            Just a warning, I just switched my SSL from the 3dcart certificate to my own Rapid SSL. I had 3dcart install it. They did not warn me or advise me that I would have to change many things. You need to do a re-direct in your system. If you have anything hardcoded, including images in blog entries, home page, etc... you need to change those. I am running into duplicate page issues and also security name mis match issues. 3dcart has not helped me at all, it's been a nightmare.
                            That's really good to know. I wouldn't have even anticipated anything like that and I'm really not that good with the technical stuff. I think I need to get through the changeover in the payment gateway first before I even think about adding my own SSL certificate.

                            At the end of the day, it seems like it's really a matter of preference vs necessity since the shared SSL does provide the needed security at checkout. I can see an advantage to having your own certificate and will probably go for it at some point. Sometimes what a customer perceives to be true is what counts regardless of what really is true.

                            Any advice as to how some of the issues that you mentioned can be avoided?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Answers to your questions...

                              Well, if I had to do it again, I would ask 3dcart what would need to be done in your settings and on your pages in order to switch over from the shared SSL to a dedicated one without it effecting your customers security and your site in the search engines. Ask them what will happen to your backlinks out there on the internet? Ask them how it will effect your Webtools and Analytics settings? Ask them if you need to put any redirects in place or need to change any URL settings anywhere. If you use Webmaster Tools, you will also need to change some settings in there as well, you can post a message in Webmaster Tools. I would also look at any images you have added in your blogs. Look at the path of the image, if it has (3dcartstores) on the path, that will all need to be changed. Look at your static pages and see if those URL's have 3dcartstores on them. Anything with that address will need to be changed. Plus you need to change the secure URL listed in your general store settings.

                              In 3dcart, there is a setting that redirects the old URL to the new one automatially, I think it's in store modules under SEO tools, URL redirect. They only told me about it way after the fact when I started having issues. I would also maybe wait, 3dcart may be having a wide spread canonical/page duplication issue that causes duplicate content in search engines. I would maybe keep an eye on the boards to see if that issue ever gets resolved before I switch my certificate. Just advice from the expierence I have had with this.

                              One last thing I would do before I change over. I would try and see what pages from your store are ranking in Google with the 3dcartstore path on it. You can do that by putting in to google this

                              site:www.yourstorename.com. See if any of the results have the 3dcartstores in the URL. You can also so the same search using the 3dcartstores URL by going (site:3dcartstores.yourstorename.com) I think. You may have to play around with tne URL's to get the right ones.

                              Hope this helps!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X