How to order samples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to order samples?

Trying to figure out how to add ordering samples to a product page.
    Anybody done this? Maybe there is some option I don't know. But I guess it would be too easy.
    Just want to have a separate button 'order sample' to ad a sample to the cart with a flat fee.
    Any advice?

Options

Have you tried adding it as an Option on the listing?

Comment

Originally posted by celebra1 View Post
      Have you tried adding it as an Option on the listing?
      Not sure I understand. How can I use Options for this?

Now total is calculated automatically by product id and qty from checkout form.
      I want to be able to pass to shopping cart my own value instead. Like $9.90 for a sample.
      I am really surprised that 3dcart doesn't have this useful feature. I see it on many e-commerce sites. Naturally, for a lot of markets it is very hard to sell product without offering a sample. I know we have many sample requests in our CRM

Comment

We use Options for ordering samples in the same product listing as a regular item. You can assign a value to an Option so it will not be the same value as the regular item.

Also I do understand what you are saying, it would be better to have a separate button that does this; this can be achieved with a little bit of coding, but I haven't had the time.
        Elegant Weddings +
        www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
        www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Can't figure out how to order sample without ordering the product.
          It works well as additional charges.
          But to pass a product id to the cart I have to order at least one

Comment

Originally posted by sergit View Post
            Can't figure out how to order sample without ordering the product.
            It works well as additional charges.
            But to pass a product id to the cart I have to order at least one
            Not sure if I understand ... when ordering a sample isn't the quantity 1?
            Elegant Weddings +

Comment

Is there a reason you don't want to just add the sample as a product they can order? This could give you the most flexibility and control.

Comment

Originally posted by ElegantWeddings View Post
                Not sure if I understand ... when ordering a sample isn't the quantity 1?
                Say we have a $30 product and sample is $10.
                How can we add a sample to the cart and charge $10 without adding the product?
                I don't think options can do it. They are for additional charges

To have samples separately for each of 300 products would be a pain. Double number of products? I guess we could hide sample products and add 'order sample' button on product template with sample_product_id and qty 1.
                Is it the only solution? Weird, many carts have ordering samples as an option

Comment

Originally posted by sergit View Post
                  Say we have a $30 product and sample is $10.
                  How can we add a sample to the cart and charge $10 without adding the product?
                  I don't think options can do it. They are for additional charges
                  You can put the Sample as -20.00 >= this should yield 10.00
                  Elegant Weddings +

Comment

Yeah, looks like having a separate product for a sample is our only choice.
                    Still need to program it to be able to order from product page.

This is a downside of hosted solutions like 3dcart - not enough control.

I'm surprised that a basic feature like sample ordering is lacking. Seems people do not provide samples here, didn't see any discussion

Comment

I offer them as separate product, and treat them as a "gift certificate" so the customer can apply the $5 charge to a future purchase. On our product page, when you click on the "?" next to color, a popup says:

"If not sure about the color, order our veil fabric samples. We send swatches of all 10 colors to allow you to find the perfect match for your gown.
                      Order Veil Fabric Colors". The underlined text is a link that directs the customer to the actual sample page:

Veil fabric samples

Hope that helps!

Comment

Nice site!
                        But I think it's not exactly what I'm trying to do. You have one sample as I understand.
                        And I need to provide ordering a sample for each specific design.
                        The way to do it without any extra coding is to create a sample product and set a relationship of main product with its sample. This way the sample will show up on a product page.
                        Just need to figure out how to avoid showing these sample products outside of product page. I guess creating a 'sample' category and excluding it from all listings should work.

Comment

Working...
                        X