Free shipping nightmares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free shipping nightmares

This has been hammered over and over, but I'll add to it. This might be better in suggested features, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a magic work around for any of this.

I use several drop shippers, and I ship some items myself. Since I cannot set a flat shipping fee per product, which some of my drop shippers insist on, I am forced to set some items to free shipping.
    If I could set a flat fee per product, it would solve most of the troubles in here, but not all.

1. Frequently, if a free shipping item is mixed in with paid shipping items, the whole order goes to free shipping and I bleed, sometimes enough to kill almost my entire profit on the order. This is the biggest problem, and I really can't make every damn thing free shipping. I've made some of the heavier items free shipping, but it's a pain to get some of my drop shippers on board with this, and I look like an ass. Tech support has already told me this cannot be fixed except maybe in a future release.
    2. International customers get ripped off, since I am adding the flat shipping fee to the product price. Now that the free shipping is stripped for international, they are paying more than they should. In addition, a flat shipping fee per item could be stripped out for international orders, making that a better solution here too.
    3. Shipping fees to Alaska and Hawaii are high. Free shipping in 3dcart is an all or nothing deal though, so I'd get beaten if customers from those states order free shipping items. I should be able to exempt individual states from free shipping or even flat rate if it ever becomes available.
    4. I have free shipping set to Exclude free shipping items from real time calculation. Seems odd that an entire order can go to free shipping with this switch on, but it does OFTEN.

Now, as I was writing this, I notice that I have Free Shipping - Exclude Add. Options checked. I wonder if that's my problem? I'll uncheck it and see what happens. Any ideas?

There's a whole lot more issues I have with the shipping module, but I'll stop on this one for now.

If anyone can suggest something, please do! I like all the rest of 3dcart, so it's sad that this one module is killing it for me.

We had to get custom programming to do this. We were faced with the same issues. We offer free shipping, over $100 but with some items excluded. The cart by default won't do it. It is an all or nothing. We paid over $1K to have this done. Other carts do this by default - like Core Commerce. But 3d does not. Perhaps others that are doing drop shipping can find a better work around for you, but that was the solution we had to use.

Comment

Put an image in the first checkout page letting international customers know that they can get reduced shipping and to send you an email or call then for those orders you can manually adust their shipping with a partial refund

Comment

ok so we have one setup with NO free shipping but it sets by weights (fake) just to call out the items for domestic shipping and exclude in that module all the other countrys

when it want to ship to canada we set it up with another weight (fake) and made it for canada. then excluded all the other countrys.

these are all flat rate shipping NOT calculated by fedex/ups ect.

so what is happening is that there is a domestic ship price then canada price then alaska and so on all on a flat rate price.

I try to encourage all clients if they really know there gross and net number they can figure in up-pricing for FREE shipping across the board and adjust it if need be as sales increase with time.

when multiple items are selected the cart freaks out tho so then the admins send out an email and convert the sale that way but this rarely ever needs to be done. Usually one off sales.

This may not be of help but it was trial and error as we learned the system of 3dcart.
        Want 1000 Facebook Likes or Shares? G+1? Tweets? 3Dcart Design and Tweaking - Product Data Solutions - Custom Excel Upload Sheets - SEO Services - FREE Blog Hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by cierrac View Post
          We had to get custom programming to do this. We were faced with the same issues. We offer free shipping, over $100 but with some items excluded. The cart by default won't do it. It is an all or nothing. We paid over $1K to have this done. Other carts do this by default - like Core Commerce. But 3d does not. Perhaps others that are doing drop shipping can find a better work around for you, but that was the solution we had to use.
          So you paid $1k for something that seems should be basic. Well now I wonder if they'll add that to the next whiz-bang upgrade or make others pay a grand for it?
          Thanks for the reply though, I am glad you got it sorted out, however it was done.

Comment

Well, I unchecked Exclude Additional Options and it seems to have cut down on the free shipping problem slightly.

A few other things I notice though.
            It seems that the heavier an item is, the more likely it is to be incorrectly set to free shipping. Insult to injury.
            Now, I find that sometimes the items from one vendor will be incorrectly set to free shipping, but the items from another in the same order will calculate correctly.

I'm going to hang in for the next "upgrade." If at least a few of the shipping defects aren't straightened out, I'll make up a wish list and start sending it around to other carts to see who can do better.

Comment

Originally posted by TurnkeyDropshipBusiness View Post
              ok so we have one setup with NO free shipping but it sets by weights (fake) just to call out the items for domestic shipping and exclude in that module all the other countrys

when it want to ship to canada we set it up with another weight (fake) and made it for canada. then excluded all the other countrys.

these are all flat rate shipping NOT calculated by fedex/ups ect.

so what is happening is that there is a domestic ship price then canada price then alaska and so on all on a flat rate price.

I try to encourage all clients if they really know there gross and net number they can figure in up-pricing for FREE shipping across the board and adjust it if need be as sales increase with time.

when multiple items are selected the cart freaks out tho so then the admins send out an email and convert the sale that way but this rarely ever needs to be done. Usually one off sales.

This may not be of help but it was trial and error as we learned the system of 3dcart.
              I never thanked you for offering that suggestion. I do appreciate the help.
              But that looks complicated enough to cause some real problems if I screw up just a teensy bit. I'm not even sure I really understand what you mean!

I'll throw out a few examples:

Just yesterday, got an order for 3 items that I ship that add up to 1lb 11oz by themselves. The other item in the order was a little strip of plastic material that ships from a drop shipper in a plain first class envelope, free shipping. 3dcart set the entire order to free shipping, first class mail.

One of my dropshipper products has a shipping weight of 3 lbs. My cut for this item is $9.00. In 3 separate orders, that item was included with at least one free shipping item. So again, 3dcart sets the entire order to free shipping. I convinced the distributor to let me put it to free shipping.

I have already set most of my heavier items to free shipping to try and get around this. But really, I'll have to either set every single item I sell to free shipping or absolutely no item to free shipping. In my particular situation, neither option is very realistic.

I await the next upgrade.

Comment

I'm not sure if this would be of any help to you - I might be missing the mark completely here, but 3D Cart does have a Shipping Restrictions add-on. I paid $200 for it last summer.

My problem was that I wanted to offer a flat rate shipping of $5 on orders over $50. I created a value-based shipping method, which worked just fine. The problem was a handful of our items are oversize by UPS standards and we didn't want to take the hit on items that cost $50 to ship. With value based shipping, everything over a $50 order was shipping for a flat $5.

With the shipping restriction add-on, we were able to take that handful of items and mark them as shipping by UPS Ground only. So as long as that is specified, even if other items are in the cart, the flat rate option wouldn't even come up. The item with the restricted shipping overrides all other possible shipping methods. I guess they designed it originally for places that sell food and non-food items. The food may require overnight delivery, while the other items could go ground. So if a food item is in the cart, the whole order must ship overnight.

It sounds like it would be a better option than having the whole order ship for free. Although I don't have any items set to free shipping, when I did test it tonight with one free shipping item and one non-free shipping item, during checkout free shipping was not an option. Not sure why that happens for you. But if you created a value based free shipping method, or free based on something, you could then restrict your other items to UPS, FedEx, and/or USPS only (and you can select multiple methods for a product).

Comment

Working...
                X