Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More issues in the sitemap - duplicate manufacturer URLs

Fellow 3Dcart users:

I am continually discovering problems with how 3dcart submits to search engines, URL issues, duplicate titles, duplicate meta info, etc.

I just found another type of issue with duplicate manufacturer URLs being submitted. It seems that the site map is submitting a duplicate URL with a "search_groups.asp?manf-#". This is in addition to the regular manufacturer URL.

Example for one on my site:
    http://www.your-site.com/manufacture...mfg_8-0-1.html

www.your-site.com/search_groups.asp?manf=8

Both of these go to the same mfg. The first is the actual URL, the 2nd is new.

It is occurring for all manufacturers. I have many of these. My SEO person has advised that I leave this platform.

To check it, do a site:yoursite.com search on google.

If this is caused by a setting in the admin panel, please let me know.

BP

FWIW the # of pages indexed has almost doubled.

BP

Comment

Below is a photo example of this. Note there are two listings for the brand Firstgear. These are NOT subsequent pages, they are a completely different URL structure:

Displaying photos on this site has been disabled, so

They index separately, but link back to the same brand.

I have many, many of these URLs, all newly indexed.

BP
      Attached Files

Comment

I noticed that I have a sub-category page showing up that I know I deleted. Clicking the link goes to a "Category Not Found" warning. This is a sub-category that existed for maybe a day.
        Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Comment

With this software, and according to 3DCart, it is not possible to redirect any product or category pages once they are deleted. The system processes the URL before the 301, resulting in a 404 page.

Sounds hard to believe, doesn't it? Here is the explanation from support:

"this is occurring due to how our software handles requests for product/category pages. When a URL is requested that contains _c_ or _p_ our system knows these are category and product URL respectively, and a rewrite occurs before any of your 301 redirects are processed. As an example, try using this URL:

http://www.merchantstore.com/This-Wi...k_p_99999.html

Our system sees the _p_ and knows that the number following that is the catalogid # of the product and attempts to retrieve it. Since you don't have a catalogid of 99999 in your database, an error is received instead. The same situation would occur if you used http://www.merchantstore.com/_p_99999.html

For this reason, each product has it's own redirect function in the Meta Tags tab of the Edit Product screen. You can edit this via Products>View/Edit>Click Edit next to a product>Click the Meta Tags tab. Also, the above rules do not apply to custom file names, so it is strongly recommended that you give all of your products custom file names, rather than using the dynamic store generated file names. Unfortunately, these workarounds can only be implemented if the products have not been deleted."

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Brtp4 View Post
            Unfortunately, these workarounds can only be implemented if the products have not been deleted."[/I]

BP
            So do they advise to hide and make non-searchable instead of deleting?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution View Post
              So do they advise to hide and make non-searchable instead of deleting?
              Yes, which means a mess in the admin. I can't imagine never. deleting. any. products or categories, but that is what was advised.

BP

Comment

The Crushing Defeat of "Never Delete"

Is there a possible work-around? I noticed my deleted page doesn't show up in the sitemap. www.yoursite.com/sitemap.asp

I was sure that I had submitted a sitemap to Google, but it looks like one wasn't submitted via Webmaster Tools. I don't know that this will have any effect on your duplicate listings, or my deleted pages, but it's worth a shot.

3dcart Knowledgebase article on submitting your sitemap:
                https://support.3dcart.com/3dcart/Kn...google-sitemap
                Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Comment

Originally posted by TMS Clint View Post
                  Is there a possible work-around? I noticed my deleted page doesn't show up in the sitemap. www.yoursite.com/sitemap.asp

I was sure that I had submitted a sitemap to Google, but it looks like one wasn't submitted via Webmaster Tools. I don't know that this will have any effect on your duplicate listings, or my deleted pages, but it's worth a shot.

3dcart Knowledgebase article on submitting your sitemap:
                  https://support.3dcart.com/3dcart/Kn...google-sitemap
                  If it is out of the sitemap, you should be able to mark it fixed in webmaster tools. I think that will take care of it, but I woudl look to a more experienced sub for confirmation.

BP

BP

Comment

Working...
                  X