Enable "Enter" Key for store search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enable "Enter" Key for store search?

Currently on my store, OEMopar.com, when customers are using the search function, they are unable to enter what they are looking for and then press the "enter" key to start their search, they have to use their mouse and press the magnifying glass icon to start the search,

I know it sounds like a very petty problem but when I browse the Web I use the enter button everytime I use a search. I am not sure if this is how it is for all templates or just the one I use but I find it extremely annoying and I have no idea as to why 3DCart would make it this way. I feel like it could cost me some sales, especially to customers who are computer-savvy and convenience is important to them as it is to me...

Anyway to change something in the template or design settings to enable this?

Thanks,
    John

John,
    If I understand what you are saying (and I "think" I do), my search box works by "entering what they are looking for and then press the "enter" key to start their search". I just tried it on a few different searches with the same results. I also tested on my wifes laptop with same results. And I also tested this using IE8 and FireFox v11.

That being said, have you tried this on different PC's? Different browsers? Different operating systems?

Comment

Barry,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have tested it on multiple browsers and computers. I guess it just has something to do with my template... Any idea on how I can change it to allow users to hit the enter button?

Thanks again,
      John

Comment

John,
        Unfortunately, I am not sure why this does not work for your site/template. Maybe some others (and myself) can run a test on your site, that of course would require you to post your web address. If you don't want to do that, maybe PM or email me and I will give it a try and see what I come up with.

Other than that, i would contact support and see what they have to say.

Comment

It does not work if you have quick-search enabled. I have not figured out a work around yet. But I would be very interested if someone did!

Comment

Barry, my site is OEMopar.com - thank you for your offer but NMTEACO was right, it is because I had the quick search option enabled. After disabling it I am able to use the enter key to submit a search on the site.

Thanks to both of you for your input!

-John

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyarmory View Post
              Barry, my site is OEMopar.com - thank you for your offer but NMTEACO was right, it is because I had the quick search option enabled. After disabling it I am able to use the enter key to submit a search on the site.

Thanks to both of you for your input!

-John
              I remember reading something about certain features need quick search in order to work properly, ie, quick cart or quick view.

Or did I misread something...

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
                I remember reading something about certain features need quick search in order to work properly, ie, quick cart or quick view.

Or did I misread something...
                I read that too, but I believe it just means that you have to include the quicksearch javascript file on your site to ensure compatibility with those features.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
                  I read that too, but I believe it just means that you have to include the quicksearch javascript file on your site to ensure compatibility with those features.
                  I turned off Quick Search and Quick View no longer worked.

Comment

I actually never even knew about Quick View as I never had it enabled. I just tried turning it on without quick search enabled and it doesn't seem to work so I assume you are right.

However, once I disabled quick search I have noticed the time it takes to actually perform the search on my site reduced tremendously. I am not sure why that is but it's just something I noticed...

Comment

Yeah the problem is that the QuickSearch Javascript captures all keyboard input and uses it for the quicksearching. Someone better at javascript than I am could edit the JS file and make it look for an enter key press, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X