Make an Offer - Maximum Quantity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make an Offer - Maximum Quantity?

Has anyone fully embraced the make an offer/price match feature? I have been planning for it to be a centerpiece of my relaunched site, to allow customers to get decent pricing on items that are MSRP-controlled. But apparently it only allows a customer to get quantity=1 of an item? If they add it to the cart and change the quantity and click update cart, it just stays at 1. Support says this is how it is supposed to work. This doesn't make any sense at all..

You are correct, the offer is always for quantity=1.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

That seems odd to me as well. Most of our customers purchase multiple pieces of whatever they are ordering, so if the Make an Offer feature is only valid for one item then it is of no use to us. Can't this be changed to allow for variable quantities?
      Laura Z
      Brass & Silver Traditions
      www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

The stance of 3DCart is that since "99%" (for me it is more like 85%) of customers only order one thing, they just developed the feature to appeal to the broadest customer base. The fact that turning it on is incompatible with basic cart functionality (the quantity box in your view cart) seems irrelevant.

I encourage other merchants who would like this to be fixed to post here so that 3DCart realizes that there is demand. In the meantime I have changed our Make an Offer links+template to specify a maximum of one per item.

Originally posted by brassandsilver View Post
        That seems odd to me as well. Most of our customers purchase multiple pieces of whatever they are ordering, so if the Make an Offer feature is only valid for one item then it is of no use to us. Can't this be changed to allow for variable quantities?

Comment

I completely agree. If I want to limit it to 1, I'll either use the stock field or maximumorder.

I was planning on implementing this feature for overstock. If I have 5 detectors laying around that I want to move, I'd much rather one person buy all 5.
          Chris
          TC Life Safety
          TC Wireless

Comment

I also would like to see this limitation removed. Leave it as a variable when setting up the make and offer product where we can set a max qty on an individual item basis.

Comment

It seems pretty clear to me that they took some shortcuts when coding this feature and that making it compatible with multiple purchases would have been more difficult, so they just didn't do it. Except the problem is that they are acting like we should expect multiple quantities to be a premium feature and they don't even think they should document the limitation.

Support closed the ticket now and said that the limitation exists to prevent people from abusing the system. Sounds plausible - but the proper way to do this would be to make the quantity box in the shopping cart vanish - or display a custom error message - for this. Instead we have a kludge that looks broken to our customers.

Comment

Update: They fixed this bug! Thanks 3DCart.

Comment

Working...
                X