Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: Form with upload feature for files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Form with upload feature for files?

Hi all,

I've never created a form before, and now I think my first try is somewhat ambitious, but hopefully possible.

Ideally I'd like to create an Extra Page (called "Photo Contest!") and it would be a form with the following required fields:

1) Customer Name (first and last)
    2) Customer Email Address
    3) Upload File (.jpg, .gif, etc.)

And then the customer would be able to hit Submit and it would email us their form with the file that they attached.

Anyone know how this could be done?

Thank you in advance!
    James

A form with a file upload feature requires a special script that runs on the server. This is not something you could do without custom work by 3DCart support which would cost money. 3DCart does have a built in feature that allows items with a file upload:
    https://support.3dcart.com/Knowledge...-upload-a-file

You may be able to creatively modify it to suit your purposes.

Comment

Thanks! I'll check out how much pricing would be from 3D Cart. I was hoping it'd be something relatively easy and wouldn't require special scripts or installation :)

I tried once to make a "Product" called Photo Contest, but when I tested it myself I found that customers would still have to go through the checkout process to enter/submit their photo entry. I didn't think having to enter shipping or billing information for a free photo contest would go over well with entrants :)

Thanks again!
      James

Comment

You dont need to pay if you know a little HTML.
        Here are some resources to get you started.

https://support.3dcart.com/3dcart2/K...-create-a-form

https://support.3dcart.com/3dcart2/K...mple-mail-form
        Last edited by user001; 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM.
        - Peace
        www.ifilters.net

Comment

Thanks very much! A little HTML knowledge to accomplish this is exactly what I was hoping for. The first two links are extremely helpful...the 3rd one though, doesn't provide information with regards to how to put a "file upload" code in a form (though it's helpful for adding a file upload within a product).

With the other two links that you provided (and thanks again!), I'm going to search online to see if there's HTML that allows for a file upload box.

Fingers crossed, this might just work :)

Thanks again!
          James

Comment

No problem.

I also found this post on adding captchas to the form to make it more secure.
            It also has some other info you can use. Hope it helps.

http://forums.3dcart.com/store-desig...d-captcha.html
            - Peace
            www.ifilters.net

Comment

user001: Are you sure he'll be able to do a file upload using this method? My understanding is that this would require a script on the server, and I don't think that the 3DC built in forms have an option for files.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
                user001: Are you sure he'll be able to do a file upload using this method? My understanding is that this would require a script on the server, and I don't think that the 3DC built in forms have an option for files.
                Good question. I havent tested any of the upload methodes myslef so I cant for sure say that it will.

The issue is that 3dCart doesnt allow anyone to run php, so you cant add php script or run them, youll have to use whats there.

He can probably find a way to add the image as an attachment and send it as an email using the 3dCart email handler.
                Alternatively I would research how the products page uses the upload feature and what files it calls.

A good start would be to add a product that requires you to upload a file for it (see the knowledge base section for how to's) and see the source code for it, look for the <form> tag and see what file(s) it calls, you could find a lot of good information to get you testing.

- peace
                - Peace
                www.ifilters.net

Comment

Im using a product called signalhq ($30 per month plan) its awesome you can do trivia questions, contests/giveaways, polls via sms, or by entry forms/landing pages, you should look into it you could use it for your photo contests where people can text in to vote for the best photo etc. Ive been blowing up my fanpage pretty big with some giveaways every friday checkout http://www.facebook.com/hanzoswordsusa to see what im talking about you can even enter my giveaway tonight if you want for a 2.8 Million Volt flashlight stun gun

I grew my fanpage from 500 to over 1800 in a little over a month and i am seeing good sales from my promotions whiile building an sms list at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by hanzoswords View Post
                    Im using a product called signalhq ($30 per month plan) its awesome you can do trivia questions, contests/giveaways, polls via sms, or by entry forms/landing pages, you should look into it you could use it for your photo contests where people can text in to vote for the best photo etc. Ive been blowing up my fanpage pretty big with some giveaways every friday checkout http://www.facebook.com/hanzoswordsusa to see what im talking about you can even enter my giveaway tonight if you want for a 2.8 Million Volt flashlight stun gun

I grew my fanpage from 500 to over 1800 in a little over a month and i am seeing good sales from my promotions whiile building an sms list at the same time.
                    This smells like BAN to me. your other post should also be deleted.
                    - Peace
                    www.ifilters.net

Comment

I think not. Im not spamming the forums buddy. Ive been around here since 2004

Comment

Sorry if your not but your post doesnt seem to add anything to help the poster.
                        Not sure why you decided to advertise in here... Does the service you are referring to/selling help create upload forms, if so it would be more helpful to explain that part before trying to get people to go to your facebook.

Just saying..

If your really having issues with your other post ill be glad to help, but dont try to mask amount of time in these forums with spam. Ill respond to your thread to see if I can help.

-peace
                        - Peace
                        www.ifilters.net

Comment

it has to do with his photo contest, its an app i use that has a form builder i was just trying to share a cool product im not affiliated with it in any way you need to leave your gun and badge at the door buddy.

Comment

lol I dont mean to offend, just trying to filter out the spam and avoid advertisement flooding.
                            Yes, it does sound like a cool service, although its a marketing platform, it will have more uses than a form builder. It sounds interesting thanks for sharing it.

Back to the question:
                            I just remembered an online form builder service if anyone is interested
                            JotForm ยท Easiest Form Builder
                            I think they offer forms for free but Im not sure if the upload forms are.
                            I personally wouldnt pay to have something like this created as you learn nothing by doing nothing.

Let me know if you figure it out, ill post what I find.
                            - Peace
                            www.ifilters.net

Comment

Thanks to both of you, and all points are well taken.

The only thing I've been able to find that **MIGHT** work (the article was pretty clear that it's not 100%...so I suppose I'll have to try and see) is to add this type of code to the form:

<FORM METHOD="post" ACTION="mailto:YOURDOMAIN.com" ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data">
                              Attachment: <INPUT TYPE="file" NAME="attachedfile" MAXLENGTH=50 ALLOW="text/*" >
                              </FORM>

I would really prefer not to use 3rd Party programs if it could be avoided, although if it's not feasible with basic HTML then it might just have to be :)

Thanks again!
                              James

Comment

Working...
                              X