Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Join Mailing List" checkbox on Register page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Join Mailing List" checkbox on Register page?

Hi all!

Can't find an answer when searching the forum...Is there a way to add a "Sign me up for your Mailing List" checkbox in the registration_0 template?

I'm worried that some customers who register for an account on our site might be thinking that they're also going to be getting newsletter updates, when in fact, they're just registering for our site and not joining a mailing list at the same time. I don't want to miss the opportunity of communicating with customers who fall into that category.

Right now, I just have wording near the "Submit/Create Account" button that explains they are not joining our Mailing List and that they may want to if they would like (they would then have to sign up in the area on the right nav bar). But, it'd be better to have it right there as an checkbox option when they create their account...

Thanks in advance!
    James

Notes on Subscribe box on Checkout page.

James, I don't know the answer to your question.

However, on the Checkout step1 page there is a check box for product updates, you might look at the code. But note that this box does not actually add anyone to the mailing list contrary to any logic, it only adds a 1 in the subscribed field in the customer info.
    to actually add these customers that have checked this box to your mailing list, you would have to download ALL your customers (we have over 30K in the system), sort them by the subscribed field, filter them by date to find the ones you have already added previously to the mailing list and add the new ones by an import to the mailing list.
    Then you have to repeat this process every time you want to send a mailer to keep your list updated.
    So this box might not be the best rout, but it is an option.
    Edit 10/20/2012: with the latest update there is a date filter on the customer download. Would love for the chec-kbox to be directly integrated into the mailing list, however the date filter is a huge improvement.
    Last edited by elightbox; 10-21-2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

James, maybe this thread will help:

http://forums.3dcart.com/store-desig...ewsletter.html

Comment

Thanks Barry!

I've tried some of the things in that forum post (and thank you for sharing!), but I can't quite get it to work as I intend:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...ILING_LIST.jpg

This link shows what I'm trying to accomplish (my apologies if that's addressed in the post that you recommended and I've somehow missed it).

It would be a checkbox under the Customer Email & Password fields of the Account Registration (register.asp) page, that when checked, would also add the email address used in the account registration to the email list. This would be "confirmed" when the Register button is clicked. So, clicking the Register button at the bottom would serve two purposes:

1) The customer would have an account regsitered with our website
        2) The customer would join our mailing list (IF and only IF the checkbox was checked)

Hopefully that made sense :)

Thanks so much!
        James

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
          James, I don't know the answer to your question.

However, on the Checkout step1 page there is a check box for product updates, you might look at the code. But note that this box does not actually add anyone to the mailing list contrary to any logic, it only adds a 1 in the subscribed field in the customer info.
          to actually add these customers that have checked this box to your mailing list, you would have to download ALL your customers (we have over 30K in the system), sort them by the subscribed field, filter them by date to find the ones you have already added previously to the mailing list and add the new ones by an import to the mailing list.
          Then you have to repeat this process every time you want to send a mailer to keep your list updated.
          So this box might not be the best rout, but it is an option.
          Thank you for the suggestion! Somehow I don't have that code on my Checkout Step 1? Maybe the template that we're using? Or someone at some time who has tinkered with our site removed the code?

Comment

Like elightbox said before, in the checkout process (step 1) there is a checkbox that the customer can click. If they click it, their customer account will be set to "maillist" in the backend, and from there it sounds like you need to manually add those who have "maillist" checked to your lists.

You can add this same checkbox to the registration page. My code looks like:

Code:
            <input type="checkbox" value="1" name="maillist" checked>
            Yes! I would like occasional emails with shop news and exclusive sales.

Comment

Thanks cbsteven! For some reason I couldn't find that code in our Checkout Step 1, so using the code you offered worked great! Too bad it isn't automatic in adding them to the mailing list, but it's better than nothing :)

Thanks again to everyone who helped!
              -James

Comment

Thanks cbsteven. Worked like a charm. I wish 3dcart would fix this so customers are added to the mailing list when the check mark is enabled in the account detail.

Comment

I asked tech support how to get this to work and the guy seemed stunned that I would even request such a thing, so glad to know I'm not alone! But I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly - This doesn't actually add them to the mailing list, it only flags them as requesting the newsletter? I have to download and add them myself?

Is there a way to get this requested as a new feature? I'm new to this process.

Thanks!
                  Jamie

Comment

I want to add that code.
                    I want that checkbox on my registration page, and the checkout page.
                    I added it to registration_0.html and tried registration_1, before the </script> line, but it won't show.

I added it to the checkout page, and it won't show.

Where exactly to I enter this code?

Please help.
                    Last edited by Muldrick82; 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muldrick82 View Post
                      I want to add that code.
                      I want that checkbox on my registration page, and the checkout page.
                      I added it to registration_0.html and tried registration_1, before the </script> line, but it won't show.

I added it to the checkout page, and it won't show.

Where exactly to I enter this code?

Please help.

Post a link to the registration page on your site

Comment

Nope, still confused.
                        On my registration page (registration_0)
                        I want that check box before the Verification code.

Where in the registration_0 file do I put that code?
                        Or should it be in registration_1?

Comment

My last reply was asking you to post a link to the page. I just quoted your question.

Comment

when there is account created the email is not stored

hello
                            i know this thread is a bit old, but i just ran across a issue and cannot find anyway around and support did have any answers for it as well.
                            if a customer checks the box to receive emails on the checkout page, but does not create an account, (we have create account optional) there email address is NOT saved to anywhere and they are not added to the subscribers or flagged anywhere is the system for us to capture there email address and ad it to our mail out list.
                            does anyone have a solution for that?

Ralph
                            dogsportgear.com
                            dogsportgear.ca
                            rknashop.com
                            gssccshop.com

Comment

I implemented a fairly complex workaround for this.

I use a Checkout Question (Do you want to be contacted?) on step one that only appears for customers with No customer group. So it only appears for people that do not login.

Then I use the Advanced API to pull orders where the checkout question is checked, and add them to the mailing list.

It is not easy but it was the only way I could capture both logged in and logged out customers.

Comment

Working...
                              X