Inconsistent Uptime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent Uptime

Has anyone managed to get their website to be consistently up and responsive? We are in the process of going live finally and the uptime level of my server seems barely adequate. Often during the day when I hit the site it will take 15 seconds of "waiting for response" before loading (or sometimes not).

I set up a Pingdom.com monitoring of the site and they report 94.98% uptime over the last 7 days... which sounds OK but that includes 1d3h5m of downtime (which to me implies less than 90% uptime.. not sure how the math works)

Public stats on my site here:
    3DCart (June 2012)

There was a major outage on Sunday which caused support to move my site to a new server, and since then there have been plenty of outages.

I am considering moving to a semi or fully dedicated server... but 99% uptime shouldn't be an expensive add on. Looking at past posts on the board I see a lot of people talking about intermittent server issues.

Has anyone gotten their site dialed in to the point where their downtime is minimal?

I'm showing 100% update, but the connect times seem quite slow, and even slower since June 1st than "normal". Average connection time is:

Connect time 0.19/ 0.17/ 0.12/ 0.20/ 0.76/ 0.18/ 0.18

Thats Thurs last through today thus far. My site is checked every 180 minutes. Monday was TERRIBLE and the back end was slower yet for me
    and I'm on the baby plan cause I'm a miniscule business LOL
    Last edited by Toobusy; 06-06-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

180 minute checks seems too infrequent to get useable data. Pingdom offers one free check at intervals as low as 1minute.

Comment

I manage 4 sites on 3dcart. 3 of them have very good uptime. 1 not so good recently, but 3dcart did fix it when I reported the problem. I just started monitoring them in 1 minute checks a few weeks ago. Before that, I checked every 15 minutes. Using pingdom. The 1 that is not so good is one of the lower priced plans. Fastest one is semi-dedicated. I think you will just need to monitor your site and create a ticket whenever you see it is down or unresponsive. If you continue to have the site be slow, keep after them until it is fixed. Even the lowest plans are usually pretty good speedwise in my experience. Obviously, the higher plans will be a bit faster.

Comment

Anything Less than 99.9% Uptime is Less Than Promised

Like most 3rd party cart systems, 3d advertises 99.9% uptime and GUARANTEES 99% uptime. So if you're (we're) getting less than 99%, then we're not getting what we paid for.

From their features page:

Ecommerce Hosting / 99.9% Uptime

3DCart is a hosted online store solution. Your online store is hosted at the largest datacenters around the United States including: RackSpace, SoftLayer, ThePlanet, Peer1, and LiquidWeb. Servers are monitored every 60 seconds, should a problem occur, our technicians work with the datacenters to resolve the problem quickly.
          Keith

Comment

Glad we wandered in here this AM, since we're definitely going to start monitoring this VERY closely.

@cbsteven - I would consider the uptimes/downtimes you posted in that public report unacceptable. It's one thing for a server to glitch now and again for a minute or two, but to be down for hours is nothing short of obscene!

Personally, I would be all over 3d on that one if those were our numbers. Those types of outages can kill a business. Customers that find your site down are customers that are not likely to come back.
            Keith

Comment

I've been running mine at 5 minute intervals and I'm disgusted with my response times and have been working with support for a couple days on the times. Even my traceroutes time out but at least I'm up, right?

Comment

Does anyone here have a LOT of products? I have about 35,000.

My downtime problem seems to be related to searching my store. Since posting this thread and submitting a ticket a few days ago my uptime has been good, above 99%. This morning I decided to stress test it by doing a search for a Brand which has about 3,000 items in my database. As soon as this search request was submitted the site became completely unresponsive for 12 minutes and I got 'site down' notifications from my monitoring services.

Searches for individual part numbers do not bring the site down, although they are unfortunately slow. Maybe 8 seconds.

Anyone have similar experience?

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
                  Does anyone here have a LOT of products? I have about 35,000.

My downtime problem seems to be related to searching my store. Since posting this thread and submitting a ticket a few days ago my uptime has been good, above 99%. This morning I decided to stress test it by doing a search for a Brand which has about 3,000 items in my database. As soon as this search request was submitted the site became completely unresponsive for 12 minutes and I got 'site down' notifications from my monitoring services.

Searches for individual part numbers do not bring the site down, although they are unfortunately slow. Maybe 8 seconds.

Anyone have similar experience?
                  While we're still filling out our store, we don't quite have 35,000 items; although, we will eventually have over 10k. I haven't been noticing any slow down or down time when using search.

I just tried searching for "the" which pulls a little over 2,000 results. It took only about ~1 to ~2 seconds to fully load the search results page. How exactly are you stress testing it? Tons of searches in a small time frame?

Comment

Originally posted by CPR Savers View Post

I just tried searching for "the" which pulls a little over 2,000 results. It took only about ~1 to ~2 seconds to fully load the search results page. How exactly are you stress testing it? Tons of searches in a small time frame?
                    Nothing fancy, just typing a search and seeing how long it takes.

Support moved me to a new server this morning so we will see how that goes. I just did a couple of searches for large result sets and each one took about 4-5 seconds. Tolerable, not great, but not unacceptable like it was before.

Comment

We are on the dedicated-quad enterprise plan and still have frequent time outs and failures. Some parts crawl along. The API was fast when we first moved to a new server a couple of months ago but now it moves like a snail.

Watchmouse shows regular time-outs and failures. Has since the end of last year. I do not believe the issue will be resolved.

Comment

I am not sure about some of these uptime monitors and how accurate they are.

Both monitor.us and pingdom show my site as down for almost 13 hours now and show that it is still down but it loads just fine for me. Makes me wonder if 3dcart or something is blocking them.
                        Nathan
                        www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

I have had Pingdom show us down while I was able to get to the site, but I don't think it is as simple of a matter of them being blocked.

Since being moved to a new server last Monday I have had 7 days with 0% downtime.

Comment

I would be curious to see if anybody else has a similar experience.

Whenever my google stats start showing slow page loads (based on users visiting the website and not a ping check) I have noticed that it occurs at the same time the monthly updates/patches are being tested/installed by 3dcart. Typically happens about 1 week in length and 1 week prior to the patch notification on the forum.

Just about the time that 3dcart posts "here are the changes that were done recently" I can visually see on the metrics Google provides a significant increase in performance and the ASP files load quicker. Google never complains about speed issues being images or html files...only the product.asp files which are controlled by 3d.
                            Last edited by doberer; 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Well pingdom is showing my site down for 1 day 1 hour right now (considered down after 30 seconds of the website not responding).

I have run into some slowness going to my site and a couple of time outs to the admin section over that time but haven't seen anything on my end that would make it 'down'.

Our order volume does indicate that something is wrong, only 20 orders after a weekend, it should be in the 40-50 order range.
                              Nathan
                              www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

Working...
                              X