Custom URLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom URLs

Could anyone help me with a couple questions I have about custom URLs. I was playing around with this feature and changed a URL to this: www[.]avababys.com/preemie-information, it had been something like /resources_543.html.
    My son was telling me I don't want the .html because if I understood him right /preemie-information is now a parent URL (or something)?? I can then add extensions to that and they will all be their own pages???
    My question is, is the .html necessary for indexing?
    Then, I noticed that I did not have to do a redirect, it just automatically switched to the new page once I refreshed the URL. Even when I clicked on the Google link it went straight through to the new URL so I am assuming there is an auto redirect. Is Google working off the old URL or was there a redirect and will the new URL be indexed?
    Last edited by EcoBaby1; 06-23-2012, 08:49 AM.
    AvaBaby's Preemie & Newborn Boutique
    EcoBaby Chic Organics
    doTerra Origins Essential Oils

[QUOTE]My son was telling me I don't want the .html because if I understood him right /preemie-information is now a parent URL (or something)?? I can then add extensions to that and they will all be their own pages???
    My question is, is the .html necessary for indexing?[/QUOTE
    He is thinking that you will be able to add pages like
    /preemie-information/
    /preemie-information/boys.html
    /preemie-information/girls.html

but 3DCart does not support the parent directory structure. So yes, you just want to name it preemie-information.html
    You definitely want the .html suffix on the end of any page a visitor might view.

I noticed that I did not have to do a redirect, it just automatically switched to the new page once I refreshed the URL.
    A 301 redirect is automatically created for the page so you don't have to worry about Google. You can check this with Redirect Checker

Comment

Thank you for your help. Yes, parent directory was the word my son used. Is there any benefits to SEO in customizing a URL? Does Google use the preemie-information in indexing or is it just a visual for the customer?
      AvaBaby's Preemie & Newborn Boutique
      EcoBaby Chic Organics
      doTerra Origins Essential Oils

Comment

They do. You want the URL to closely match the content of the page or any keywords you are trying to emphasize.

Comment

Working...
        X