Announcement

Collapse

Posting Rules

Posting Rules
This forum was created to help 3dcart users share tips on getting the best out of the service, offer knowledge and experiences about e-commerce in general, and to promote a positive environment in which our merchants can request/dispense advice regarding best practices.

The forum was not created for 3dcart users to submit requests for customer support. Any support related thread will be removed and a support ticket will be placed on your behalf. If you have technical difficulties please visit http://support.3dcart.com.

The 3dcart forum is also not intended to be a medium in which to express dissatisfaction about 3dcart's service, policies or its management and staff. Threads of this nature will also be removed from the forum. If a support issue with your 3dcart store was not resolved in a satisfactory manner; or if you feel that a particular 3dcart offering/policy is not to your liking, please let us know by emailing [email protected] so we can address your concerns directly.

Again, our purpose is to cultivate a positive learning environment for our merchants rather than platform in which to express grievances.

Very Important Rules:
* Never give away your store administration login/password in this forum.

Should you need technical help, please let 3dcart staff help.
Also, please be aware that 3dcart staff will NEVER need to ask for your 3dcart related passwords.

General Rules:
* While debate and discussion are acceptable, we will never tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
* Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) nonsensical posts, or similar postings.
* Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
* Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
* We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature.
* Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping posts.
* Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
* Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
* We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
* We also reserve the right to remove postings which are in violation of our specified posting rules
* Also, while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
* You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.
* You cannot post advertisements or notices for contests.
* We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums are a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system, but will not be able to participate in the forum.
See more
See less

3dcart search -Am I missing something?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dcart search -Am I missing something?

Afternoon!

I have been working on our new 3dcart site and am experiencing what I hope can be fixed with a setting somewhere. The more detailed of a search term that is used, the worse the search results are (this is the opposite of what I am used to). For example:

If a customer types in "breast" in the search box, they will only pull up the items for breast cancer.

If the customer types in "breast cancer" they will pull up everything that has to do with both breast cancer and any other type of cancer. Once my store is filled, this will literally mean hundreds of items that have nothing to do with breast cancer will show up in their search results. Instead of looking for the combination of words breast cancer, it is using them separately?

I can get it to work if I type in "breast +cancer" but none of my customers are going to know how to do that.

Anyone know how to fix or workaround this?

My site doesn't work like this. It uses AND rather than OR. I'm not sure why yours would behave like that. If you provide a link maybe I can figure it out.

Comment

Having the search defaulting to OR and not AND sounds like the problem I am having.

The sites in closed status while I work on it (and smash my face on my desk LOL) so the only way you could view it would be for me to temp. allow your IP access. Maybe you could PM me, or is this a job for tech. support?

Comment

Can you paste the code from your frame.html file that controls the search box?

Comment

I think this is it. I'm not using the quicksearch function.

<!--START: FRAME_SEARCH-->
          <table width="200" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
          <form method="get" name="searchForm" action="search.asp" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
          <tr>
          <td><div style="background: url(assets/templates/[template]/images/BG_Textfield.jpg) no-repeat; width: 178px; height: 30px;">
          <div style="padding: 2px 0px 2px 6px;">
          <input name="keyword" id="searchlight" type="text" class="search-text" style="border: 0px; background: #FFF;" value="search by keyword" size="32" onFocus="javascript:if (document.searchForm.keyword.value=='search by keyword') {document.searchForm.keyword.value='';};" onBlur="if(this.value.length == 0) this.value = 'search by keyword'">
          </div>
          </div></td>
          <td width="66"><input type="image" name="search" src="assets/templates/[template]/images/search.jpg"></td>
          </tr>
          </form>
          </table>
          <!--END: FRAME_SEARCH--></td>

Comment

Nothing jumps out as being wrong.

When I search my site the URL to the results page looks like:

Code:
            http://MYSITE.COM/search.asp?keyword=keyword1+keyword2&search.x=0&search.y=0
            and it always produces an AND result.

Does your URL look similar? If it does and is producing an OR result I would try opening a ticket. But I don't see why it would do that. I don't even know how to FORCE my site to give an OR result if I wanted to.

Comment

Mine looks like this. I don't know how to insert it as code so I lopped off the http://:

mysite.com/search.asp?keyword=breast+cancer&search.x=16&searc h.y=19

I'll try opening a ticket. Maybe something is messed up in the search.asp . I'll post if I find out anything. Thank you for the help!
              Last edited by Danab; 07-02-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Sigh,

Support just sent me an e-mail telling me to go to their store and purchase an improved search app. The cheapest one is $60 a month! I asked them if they could at least check the search.asp file and see if it was glitched.

So frustrated right now. If I search for "Breast Cancer Bracelet", it pulls up every page of my site that just has the word bracelet on it including my payment, shipping and returns page.

No way in heck that is working right! If it is, 3Dcart has the worst search ever!

Comment

Support can be hard to deal with when it isn't straightforward issues. You will have to explain very clearly why it is a problem and how to reproduce it, with examples.
                  Step one would be to acknowledge that it should be an AND search not an OR search. Step two would be to get them to try to fix it.

Comment

The way the default search works is as follows:

If you type "keyword1 keyword2"

It looks for

"keyword1 keyword2" assigns a ranking of 1
                    Then searches for "keyword1" assigns a ranking of 1
                    Then searches for "keyword2" assigns a ranking of 1

Then sorts the results by the sum of the 3.
                    So, a page with both keywords together, should show up higher than one with just 1 of the 2 keywords.

So, the search is trying really hard to find a result for the user. If you like, you can disable most of this stuff by disabling some of the search features from the store settings page:

https://support.3dcart.com/3dcart2/K...store-settings

maybe make it only search on product name.
                    ----------------------------
                    Gonzalo Gil
                    3dCart Support
                    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

GonzaloGil,

Thank you for replying. Based upon what you wrote I tried a few more tests and wanted to share the results. Maybe you can help me figure out whats happening?

Test search= "Red Ribbon" with Product name, description and extended description being the only search fields checked here's the first 2 results in order:

1. Lavender Wristband - has the word "ribbon" in the description, but the word "Red" only shows up in the categories menu (I even searched the source code). So it should have had a weight of 1.

2. Red Wristband - has both the words Red and Ribbon for the item in the name and description (a total of 8 times) so it should have been weighed higher.

Repeat test search - "Red Ribbon" with product name and item description checked as search fields. = No Results. Why didn't the Red Wristband show up? It has both search words in the item name and description?

I do not see the logic for the weighting system you described working on my site at all.

Comment

That is weird.

Gonzalo doesn't monitor the boards very often so he might not see your reply. Might be worth shooting him an email at gil at 3dcart.com

Comment

The search does not count the # of instances of a word, it only checks if the word exists. (Not Google like by any means)

So in your example, i am assuming that you don't have any items with the name "Red Ribbon" as that item would display #1, then, it looks for "RED" and "RIBBON", and, so, that's how you got those 2 results. Both #1 and #2 results rank the same.
                          ----------------------------
                          Gonzalo Gil
                          3dCart Support
                          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

It seems like even with the system working the way you describe that his Red Wristband item should come up before Lavender Wristband, since the Lavender item doesn't have the word red in the product record, only in the categories menu which should just be in the frame.html, right?

Comment

OK so to make it weirder I did some more tests.... I disabled everything except the search by product name (still have advanced search option checked).

Search for "Blue Wristband" and only my Blue Wristband shows up (1 result).

Search for "Red Wristband" and the Red Wristband shows up as number 1, but then every other wristband is showing up after it (13 results).

What the heck? Its not even being consistent with just the product name searches. /facepalm.

So I completely disabled advanced search......

Searched for "Pin" and the first search result is a Baby Blessings Wristband (I guess because "Pink" in the item description contains "pin"??) and the second result is an actual Pin called a "Jade Spray Pin".

GAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Forgot to add that the Blue Wristband, Red Wristband and Red Ribbon search results were better with advanced search off. So I think advanced search is definitely more wonkey but either search is giving me weird results.
                              Last edited by Danab; 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X